Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Dana Barlow

Thumbs up oval speedo info?

I had the same "A" hot rod from 1959 to now and never did have the speedo hooked up to anything! I'd like to try it?
I've got a 28/9 A with oval speedo and dash and would really like to make it work with my newer power train 1957 Ford 292Y-block w/3speed,love the stock look of "A" dash,and speedo moves A>O>K> when spinning drive SQ. on back.
I'm thinking I need at the lest ,top part of a stock "A" cable to make up a drive for it?from a U-fit kit.
I'm also woundering about MPH/RPM to gear ratio vs a newer speedo head on like 57 tranny, if anyone knows about that,thanks for any help or ideas!!
Dana Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Dana Barlow

Default Re: oval speedo info?

???NO one here has tryed to use a stock"A" oval speedO hooked in to newer tranny,vs just hook to wheel???
looking for some info if it can be done or not and if it's posible to make it read mph some were closes to right.
thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Barlow View Post
I had the same "A" hot rod from 1959 to now and never did have the speedo hooked up to anything! I'd like to try it?
I've got a 28/9 A with oval speedo and dash and would really like to make it work with my newer power train 1957 Ford 292Y-block w/3speed,love the stock look of "A" dash,and speedo moves A>O>K> when spinning drive SQ. on back.
I'm thinking I need at the lest ,top part of a stock "A" cable to make up a drive for it?from a U-fit kit.
I'm also woundering about MPH/RPM to gear ratio vs a newer speedo head on like 57 tranny, if anyone knows about that,thanks for any help or ideas!!
Quote:
???NO one here has tryed to use a stock"A" oval speedO hooked in to newer tranny,vs just hook to wheel???
looking for some info if it can be done or not and if it's posible to make it read mph some were closes to right.
thanks

Dan, I sympathize with you that no one has answered your questions and while you are truly welcome here it may be because this Forum is more about "restoration" of a Model A, ...and Ryan's sister-site ( H.A.M.B. ) is where you would likely find more knowledgable folks who have the experience to answer your question correctly. Have you asked that question over there?

Best wishes on your quest of finding out what you need to know.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
pooch

Can't help you with your particular box, but I am about to road test an oval speedo hooked thru an adapter on a 1992 T5 box that feeds a computer signal as well as a pass thru cable drive.

I have run it on jackstands and it looks great.

Could even be close to calibration, it showed 60 MPH at what felt like about 1800 RPM in 5th gear.

The best thing was, by some real fluke, a standard model A cable screwed straight on the adapter with the keyed lower spline.

I am wondering if the oval speedo will break, as it will be pegged out at 65 MPH for long periods of time.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
CarlG

I thought that the oval speedometer pegged out at 85, same as the round one.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Dana Barlow

Thumbs up Re: oval speedo info?

I can see that on the working oval one that just got to replace one I had that was locked up,and numbers pretty bad on anyway,that last number is 75mph and 5 little lines later it is back to zero/start on this one. I do not know if it would stop before it gets that far around though.
if that helps any one out.

Thanks for info,now I need to buy a stock "A" speedO cable housing
Do I need to find only oval cable or will a round one also work cable housing wise??

And yes I asked on the HAMB,seems most like to use a speedO in there hotrod that goes to like 150,so dosen't seem to be much oval speedO info there.
And just for info sake,I'd never cut up any"A" in to a hotrod that was comeplet or close,the 28"A" roadster I hotroded in 1959 was missing all but the main body and that was rusted away 4in. all around btm and run over by a tractor across the trunk,was pritty much junk,I have helped on restoring to stock 3 "A"s for other guys.
Thanks for in put.

Last edited by Dana Barlow; 02-07-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
pooch

Yup, it stops at 75 mph.

So me and CarlG were both wrong.

Have one apart and it has a positive stop at that mark.

Max speed here , other than Northern territory is 110 KPH which is 68.35 MPH.

This is why we doze off at the wheel, wide open roads and having to go that slow.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
George Miller

Quote:
I have done it before. I used a stock cable and made a adapter for the transmission to use the stock cable.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Dana Barlow

Thanks you for info,I'll look in 4seal for a "A" speedO cable.