Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #21
Tudortomnz

Default Re: Non-Authentic Paint Colors & Schemes

Bob has a good point, many traditionalists have given opinions & they believe it devalues a car with non original paint schemes, which I think is somewhat debateable. I am a purist but would not be put off by paint [ unless vivid green, red or yellow!] but am put off by so called úpgrades' to the chassis or mechanicals.
I can remember many Model A's here painted in one overall colour [ fenders same as body] which was fashionable after the War & to me looks good.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #22
DD931

As you can see by my avatar, I have a non-stock paint color selection on my coupe. I get many compliments about the color scheme and have never had anyone ask if it's an original color. The red is not gaudy, but it sure is red. I bought the car this way - I don't know what I might have done if faced with the choice when restoring a car. I think it's fair to consider colors that were available in the era - although maybe not chosen by Edsel/Henry. I'm dead set against metallic paint, however!! JMHO!!!
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #23
Synchro909

What is an authentic colour? Cars came from the factory here in colours not available in the US. Model Ts for example, came in about 6 different colours, not just black. I expect other countries would have been different again.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #24
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
What is an authentic colour? Cars came from the factory here in colours not available in the US. Model Ts for example, came in about 6 different colours, not just black. I expect other countries would have been different again.
Authentic colors for the Model A Made in the USA have been researched many times over by the years & body styles as they came off the line..This is right from the factory records.. In your country & others that may have been different, do some research on it.. P.S. Not all Model T Fords were Black here either..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #25
Bill G

We went with a non standard set of colors. We like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harris Park small.jpg (97.8 KB, 49 views)
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:06 AM   #26
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.M. View Post
Authentic colors for the Model A Made in the USA have been researched many times over by the years & body styles as they came off the line..This is right from the factory records.. In your country & others that may have been different, do some research on it.. P.S. Not all Model T Fords were Black here either..

There already has been & have appeared on this site. The colours from the original brochures have been reproduced in Australia for a few years. They were available on 'Sports' [Deluxe] cars which were not the same as Deluxe types in the US or Canada. It was a continuation of 'Deluxe' Model T's which did not come in black in Australia.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #27
modeleh

As long as the fenders are painted Black and they stay away from metallic colors I’m okay with it. To me nothing ruins the looks of an otherwise stock Model A than non Black fenders.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #28
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
It is amusing that many of the responses to this post are the opinions of purists. I kind of expected lots of negative responses.
There is a recurring theme to this post that a Model "A" is devalued by non-authentic paint colors. ???? There is no way a current / recent thorough restoration will recoup its cost regardless of its colors. As for what a Model "A" is worth, that's in the eyes of the beholder.
The public and club member reactions to the colors of my 190A have been lots and all favorable.
Here's a twist. If I paint a company logo on the doors of my 190A, its colors will be correct a commercial special order.
Bob,
I don't understand the purpose or intent of your original posed question. which was: I am positive regarding deviating from Ford's factory colors and schemes. However, I am negative about using metallics and clear coats. What is your opinion?

You ask for opinions but when opinions arrive contrary to your stated preference, you label the posters as "purists" and seem to be amused while discounting their preference. I could understand why you may do this if someone said your car looked out of place or wrong but no one has said that. The way I read the offered opinions is that they are just individual opinions preferring original colors and not meant to be disparaging to your choice of how you painted your car.
I am not trying to be confrontational, I am just trying to understand how stating an opinion lumps many of us into a class of purists whose opinions are not valid. What information were you searching/hoping for with the original post.
Good Day!
Dave in MN (Dave Gerold)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 01-17-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #29
HoarseWhisperer

Frankly, I value the opinions of "purists". They have done their research and know what they want, without asking for opinions of those that haven't.
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:03 PM   #30
Beater

wow you guys just wow
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #31
vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Model T's, black only.
Model A's, not so much.
I wonder what changed Henry's mind.
Mr.Edsel
vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #32
Jeff P. / MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeleh View Post
As long as the fenders are painted Black and they stay away from metallic colors I’m okay with it. To me nothing ruins the looks of an otherwise stock Model A than non Black fenders.
I’m with you on this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 15DD7B21-DC9B-49B5-9087-E668DF3A2EF2.jpeg (126.8 KB, 28 views)
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #33
DBrer

In my opinion, when you stand back and look at your car and you have a big smile, then I think that is what matters.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:33 PM   #34
Bruce

Not addressed here so far, are the cars that are painted “colors reversed.” There are some very authentic-looking cars that have the dark color on the bottom and the light color on the top and some have the same colors the reverse of that..
Either way, most of us will not encourage you to kick your car out of the garage.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #35
reek29

Talking Re: Non-Authentic Paint Colors & Schemes

Fun is what it's all about!
reek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:56 AM   #36
Karl

My Father always said to me always stick with the original colours
His reasoning was that the manufacturer employed a lot of people to design the colour schemes of their cars . He felt you where unlikely to do a better job and that even if you did it would still look "wrong" as people subconsciously associated the original colour schemes with the model . I guess people always think they can do it better and that's the basis of the whole hot rod movement . Personally I don't want a hot rod
Old 01-16-2020, 10:34 PM   #37
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
It is amusing that many of the responses to this post are the opinions of purists. I kind of expected lots of negative responses.
There is a recurring theme to this post that a Model "A" is devalued by non-authentic paint colors. ???? There is no way a current / recent thorough restoration will recoup its cost regardless of its colors. As for what a Model "A" is worth, that's in the eyes of the beholder.
The public and club member reactions to the colors of my 190A have been lots and all favorable.
Here's a twist. If I paint a company logo on the doors of my 190A, its colors will be correct a commercial special order.

Wait a minute, you asked for opinion, you colored the asking for opinions in red, and now your pitching on the opinions you received?
Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #38
DNLs1930

This may be a silly question but; are there records of what colors were used on a specific car?

I was thinking there would be a series of assembled cars sprayed the same color or each assembly line gets a specific color to use.

My car was painted a non standard color and I do not intend to change it because it is the history of the car for now but I would entertain any number of colors from original to the green my uncle painted it in 1966-1967.
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:52 PM   #39
redmodelt

While yes after 1914 and before 1926 all T's were painted black because the paint dried faster. That is only part of the story. With the high volume of T's being made there really wasn't time to paint other colors. Remember also, that for most of those years, paint was not sprayed on. Parts were dipped and the body paint was hosed on so for the body you would have had to have several different painting lines, one for each color. Also, with all the wood structure till 1926 models, cars could not be oven dried like fenders, hood etc.

As afar as non original colors on an A. It's your car enjoy it as you like. Personally I find the original colors for the most part are not that great. With the falling number of people going for high points restorations and age changing demographics, brighter colors might have an advantage. Like the colors on Bob's and that red/black coupe.

Signed me;
redmodelt
Old 01-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #40
jb-ob

DNL,

To date no records have surfaced indicating vin number & color.

Imagine the assembly line and Mr. Ford buying paint by the drum or tanker load. Much easier to paint a batch of bodies one color combo, clean equipment and paint another batch a different color and so forth.

Custom color request, no problem, just $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote