Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2024, 12:54 AM   #1
Dave Mellor NJ

Default car heaven

I don't see any As but wouldn't you just love to get in there? How about an Auburn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car heaven.jpg (91.7 KB, 346 views)
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 04:40 AM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: car heaven

All just old beaters then but people would be lining up to buy something out of that lot nowadays.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:00 AM   #3
JoeCB

Likely they all ended up being turned into Sherman tanks or Navy ships.
Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 09:41 AM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Hey! How did you get a picture of my backyard when I lived in Phoenix??? My neighbors just LOVED me and my "children" in the backyard!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 09:49 AM   #5
Joe K

Interesting the car-make signs. Certainly set up for easy shopping.

I can't say I've ever seen a junkyard like that in today's market.

Of course most people don't "fix" cars anymore. If the part required isn't at the dealer then it is very likely the car will be "totaled" as the cost to repair will exceed the used value.

A 2003 VW Golf Diesel that ate its own transmission comes to mind. ("Self-adjusting clutch" NOT one of VW's better ideas.) A replacement was $3800 - USED. Car value then about $2800.

The VW dealer/repair shop ended up owning that one for the price of $1 - and forgiveness on their storage cost and "scoping out."

Joe K
Old 01-23-2024, 01:02 PM   #6
woofa.express

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't believe it is "car heaven" but heaven for an enthusiast restorer.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 01:09 PM   #7
Gene F

Of course most people don't "fix" cars anymore. If the part required isn't at the dealer then it is very likely the car will be "totaled" as the cost to repair will exceed the used value.

A 2003 VW Golf Diesel that ate its own transmission comes to mind. ("Self-adjusting clutch" NOT one of VW's better ideas.) A replacement was $3800 - USED. Car value then about $2800.

The VW dealer/repair shop ended up owning that one for the price of $1 - and forgiveness on their storage cost and "scoping out."

This is how they continue to sell cars now. Car breaks, and the typical auto repair now is at least $450. Then they say, but we can get you into a lease of a new car, or even a 1-year old lease turn-in for $XXX/mo.

Leasing was their big trick to make payments affordable to continue sales. I think they are just about out of tricks. The price of cars is getting crazy. Can you imagine how much a Model-A truck would be today if it were the current model? You can spend $50,000 to $80,000 for a pickup now days.

I used to buy parts from junk yards for my first few cars. I always thought they were great.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 02:43 PM   #8
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
The price of cars is getting crazy. Can you imagine how much a Model-A truck would be today if it were the current model? You can spend $50,000 to $80,000 for a pickup now days.
I would love to trade my 20-year old Tundra for a modern pickup with better safety features and better mileage, but it's just plain cost-prohibitive. Since I've been back in the Model A hobby I can't even use the "you got the last new car" argument on my bride.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 03:00 PM   #9
oldspert

Some "old timers" said during the time before WWII, there would be scrap drives for steel and the US shipped it to Japan for refining. Then they shot it back at us.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 05:53 PM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Interesting the car-make signs. Certainly set up for easy shopping.

Joe K
I've heard a number of stories about VW doing that. I owned a VW back in the 70s and sold it when I had to buy a part from the dealer. The price was ridiculous and I saw the writing on the wall if something more serious went wrong. No one in my family has owned a VW since.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:01 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspert View Post
Some "old timers" said during the time before WWII, there would be scrap drives for steel and the US shipped it to Japan for refining. Then they shot it back at us.
That's nothing. In 1938, our minister for trade (Robert Menzies) paraded himself in public as the best trade minister the country had ever had - look at how much pig iron we are selling to Japan. The Japanese openly scoffed at us saying that we shouldn't worry, we will get it all back soon. They used it to build their navy and look at the damage that did. You guys were the recipient of some of it and we got the rest. Robert Menzies is still laughingly referred to as "Pig Iron Bob" and he became the Prime Minister after the war for many years. The export of pig iron to Japan only ended when the unions refused to load it on ships. IMO, Sometimes these annoying strikes do some good.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:35 PM   #12
lrf

Aren't we sending scrap metal, aluminum, paper, and more to China? HMMMMMM!
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:48 PM   #13
Marshall V. Daut

Aren't we sending scrap metal, aluminum, paper, and more to China? HMMMMMM!

How much scrap metal is needed to make nuclear bombs??? Well, if they are like most stuff coming from China, they either won't work right off the bat or they won't fit.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:34 PM   #14
SAJ

Synchro, New Zealand is a tiny country getting even smaller day by day as we pump ironsand from our beaches into Japanese carrier ships moored off the coast.
At least Aussie mines are inland and just make giant holes.
Maybe our outgoing Labour government stopped exporting our coast-line. Do you have any spare black ironsand we could swap for some spare rain water we seem to have now?
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 05:08 PM   #15
Synchro909

SAJ, some of those holes, I think, are so big that they are causing the earth to wobble on its axis, so much ore has been moved to other places on the planet. For the last few decades, that other place has been China. Anything bought anywhere in the world that was made in China and contains iron, you can bet that the iron came from Australia. In the north west of Western Australia, there are mountains so rich in iron ore that I have picked up stones with a magnet.
More rain in the right places at the right time would indeed be welcome but there is yet another cyclone due to land in northern Queensland later today. They are expecting up to a metre of rain over a couple of days out of this one. The previous one was less than 2 weeks ago. SOGGY!
With a country as large as the US lower 48 and a population less than 26 million, there is plenty of room here if NZ gets too small.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:27 AM   #16
updraught

The Chinese are building huge iron ore mines in Africa. It will soon be worthless here. Our population just hit 27 million. We need to build a city the size of Canberra every year to house the migrants alone. We can give NZ Fraser Island as the dingos don't like all the tourists.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:51 AM   #17
Dave Mellor NJ

This yard was called "Spitz" 1941 in Irwin, Pa. outside of Pittsburgh. Still in business it said on another site
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:51 AM   #18
mercman from oz

This yard was called "Spitz" 1941 in Irwin, Pa. outside of Pittsburgh.
Thanks for posting Dave
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 08:54 AM   #19
Canton_Model_A's

It looks like this from above today:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...g85f?entry=ttu

Model A Ford Club of America
Model A Restorers Club
Motor City A's Club
Canton_Model_A's is offline   Reply With Quote