Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
coolcoupe

Default charging

How can you test if the voltage regulator is letting the generator charge the battery ? I'm not sure about this voltage regulator. Thanks, Moe
coolcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: charging

There are numerous threads on this topic plus the service manuals have detailed charging system test.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VR Booklet.pdf (1.43 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 08-07-2016 at 12:54 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
coolcoupe

The gauge in the car does not show any charge even at high revs but show discharge if I turn the lights on. How do I check the voltage regulator to know how much current is being send ?
Old 08-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Check the voltage at the battery, check it with the engine off (should be in the mid 6v range). Then check it at idle and around 2000 rpm (should check in the mid to upper 7v range above idle). Now check it with the headlights on. What are you getting?

The voltage out of the regulator is the B terminal, but it is better to check it at the battery.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
koates

Moe, You asked questions a week ago about this and I explained how to check the voltage at the regulator so did you do that ? What was the voltage at the "ARM" or the "BAT" terminal on the regulator with the engine up at 2000 rpm ? Should be around 7.5 volts. If you cant do that then take your car to an auto electrical shop for them to check it out. You said some rodents chewed up the generator wiring so was this repaired correctly ? Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
Old Henry

All the times that I thought charging problems were the voltage regulator (and bought a lot of new ones that didn't fix the problem . . . that I still have) it was the generator, not the voltage regulator. I've yet to have a regulator problem but have had plenty of generator problems - mostly the brushes worn out and needing replaced. Focus on the generator first. It is much more likely your problem than the regulator. There is really nothing to wear out on the regulator but those brushes on the generator don't last very long in my experience.

On my trip to Alaska in May my generator quit charging. I was pretty sure it was the brushes worn or wearing out. I had spares but really didn't want to take the time to remove the generator and disassemble it to replace the brushes. So, I just whacked the generator up one on the side to loosen the brushes that were stuck in their holders and get them back down on the commutator. Worked like a charm. Generator ran fine for the rest of the trip and has continued ever since.

Might try a hammer for a quick (albeit likely temporary) fix.

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-07-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoupe View Post
The gauge in the car does not show any charge even at high revs but show discharge if I turn the lights on. How do I check the voltage regulator to know how much current is being send ?

Your gauge indicates no charging at all. The regulator doesn't send "amounts" of current to the generator. It is just a switch that turns the current to the field coil on the generator on and off depending on the voltage and amps being put out be the generator. If you really suspect the regulator, bypass it by jumping from the bat terminal on the regulator (or battery post) to the field coil on the generator and see if you get any increase in voltage at the battery terminals. If not, it's a bad generator. Most likely simple brush replacement and you're good to go.

P.S. Love your avatar . . . a lot!

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-07-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #8
Old Henry

Here are a couple of diagrams from the Ford Generating and Starting Systems Repair Manual that helped me a lot to figure out how the charging system worked and where it wasn't working.

$14.00 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Repair-...pXpJkq&vxp=mtr

Well worth the education.

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-07-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
koates

[QUOTE=Old Henry;1335663]Your gauge indicates no charging at all. The regulator doesn't send "amounts" of current to the generator. It is just a switch that turns the current to the field coil on the generator on and off depending on the voltage and amps being put out be the generator. If you really suspect the regulator, bypass it by jumping from the bat terminal on the regulator (or battery post) to the field coil on the generator and see if you get any increase in voltage at the battery terminals. If not, it's a bad generator. Most likely simple brush replacement and you're good to go.

Old Henry & Moe, The above instruction for testing if the generator is working with the regulator bypassed (except for the cut out) is not quite correct. On the Ford system remove the generator field wire from its terminal on the regulator and move it across and connect it to the "ARM" terminal on the regulator. This will bypass the voltage and current controls in the regulator but leave the cut out to operate as normal. Start the engine and rev it up to around 2000 RPM and observe your dash ammeter or battery gauge (voltmeter) on some models. You should have a very high reading here because the generator is uncontrolled. If there is no charge then more than likely the generator is at fault, or a wiring or cut out problem. Moe, test that and see what happens. Regards, Kevin.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
coolcoupe

Thanks, koates ,Henry, JSeery I finally had time to work on it today. Last night
a buddy of mine suggested I try his spare and when I did everything worked as before !!! So this chipmunk must have screw it up. Good ending. But I have made a copy of all the repondes for future reference. Thanks again for the patience.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #11
koates

Moe, Try a spare what ?? Generator or regulator. Have you checked the voltage with engine revs up. After all our input, don't leave us all hanging ! What fixed it ? Regards, Kevin.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Me too, did you swap the generator?