Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #21
TJ

Default Re: Wa State, Nice & Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky79 View Post
Just think if you lived in lower New York they would charge you a commuter tax for use of the trains to get to the city. That one kills me when I register the motorcycle.
That's a good one. They want you to use mass transit and then tax you for using it! With government that makes perfect sense.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #22
TJ

Delete..
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #23
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
That's a good one. They want you to use mass transit and then tax you for using it! With government that makes perfect sense.
Actually, it sounds to me that they are taxing you NOT to use it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #24
cas3

mr nelsb01, it seems you have not done an old car registration for a few years. minnesota was for many, many years about 90 bucks plus a few fees. about 5 years ago the basic cost went from 90 to 150, then the fees with the extra "internet" fee brings you to about 250 by the time you are done. the internet fee is because the state spent 10 million on a new system to upgrade our whole license dept, that was a huge failure. two years of confusion until they finally agreed the new system was a failure, and to fix it they raised the cost of plates instead of suing the company that wrote the program. a couple weeks ago, our Governor was showing videos of himself following the stay at home order when infact he was meeting in Las Vegas with california lawmakers to study they're vehicle emission testing procedures. about 25 years ago they spent millions to build testing stations here, then dropped the program after about 3 years later. i'm sure its coming back , and plates will go up to pay for it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #25
Sparky79

The idea is to tax you not to use it but on a 40 mpg bike I think I get better mileage than a train. But anyways it's a crazy system nationwide government wants their money. At least the feds havent taken it over.
Sparky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #26
nelsb01

cas3:
Ah yes -- that was back then. But I originally registered the vehicle with Collector Plates....so long ago, I have number 600 079. That was the 79th person in line, back then. When going in to change to year of manufacture MN plates like I just did, the final cost was...............$23.50.
You would have thought......that the powers that be could have stolen Wisconsin's vehicle registration program............but you and I are here, in the state where we had a wrestler as a governor.
nelsb01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:51 PM   #27
cas3

the wrestler was the best thing that ever happened here, he just talked too much. any time you can get someone who is not a career politician, you might have a chance that they work for you, and not the party's goals
Old 05-03-2020, 11:59 PM   #28
tomcarman

[QUOTE=nelsb01;1883209]cas3:
When going in to change to year of manufacture MN plates like I just did, the final cost was...............$23.50.
You would have thought......that the powers that be could have stolen Wisconsin's vehicle registration program

i applaud you for registering YOM plates. Regarding the other issue? SSSHHH! This thread wasn't intended to elicit political commentary, however given the nature of legality take the plate and run. Things can change despite buying your "Forever" collector plate in good faith.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:02 AM   #29
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
the wrestler was the best thing that ever happened here, he just talked too much. any time you can get someone who is not a career politician, you might have a chance that they work for you, and not the party's goals

One of the best things Jessie did was to flat fee registration. (Not saying Jessie was great overall. Got a bit out there after. Deep state weird, moved to mexico.)

He did do a 35$ fee no matter the vehicle on registration/tag. Florida does this. That's gone. Now it's based on vehicle value. Buy a new car, get hit with a 500$ tag registration. Not a fan.

Have some YOM I need to get on the books.

Jessie was a Minnesota's way of saying anyone can be Governor. He did okay I guess. He had merch. haha

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jessie.jpg (42.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 05-04-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:03 AM   #30
cas3

i agree, for the price and the life time plate (we hope) its still a good deal. i'll shut up now
Old 05-04-2020, 12:13 AM   #31
Tinker

You should not shut up. All good it's just opinion and we talking on here. Old cars in mn are about 44$ a yr with a 2$ processing fee if done over the web with a credit card.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-04-2020 at 12:19 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:43 AM   #32
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
One of the best things Jessie did was to flat fee registration.

He did do a 35$ fee no matter the vehicle on registration/tag. Florida does this. That's gone. Now it's based on vehicle value.

Similar in WA State. Voter approved majority statewide for $30 tabs last election. Denied by a judge. Now going to the State Supreme Court. Controversial vehicle valuation. When I went to transfer the title on my Chrysler, despite having a bill of sale for $3000 from the seller she looked up current law re value. One of the many sources is Haggerty. Value for a '47 Chrysler Windsor 4 door was $16,500. Yea, maybe fully restored. By coincidence there was one advertised locally on CL for $3500 which she also looked up. The State also uses Hemmings for valuation as well as NADA and who knows else. She accepted my $3000 BOS. (I think she liked me HAHA). I also had cellphone pics showing the condition. They don't bend the law but as I posted earlier, get your paperwork in order and get nice and legal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191012_182209.jpg (62.7 KB, 27 views)
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #33
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
California is worse. I think they will soon start charging admission to the DMV office!
They do that in Wisconsin. It's termed a "counter fee".
If you choose to go directly to the DMV office and sit there for God only knows how long, you are charged a counter fee of $3. Yep, so not only do you pay taxes to keep these places operating, wait seemingly forever to get waited on, have a 50/50 chance of everything going correctly, you get to pay for that golden opportunity & experience.

The last time I was there, I had three titles to register. I got about a mile away when I looked at the paperwork and noted one title was in someone else's name and address.
I immediately went back for another golden opportunity... I got to wait nearly an hour (twice the same day) and was actually told "oh yeah, that guy makes lots of mistakes".
Old 05-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #34
rockfla

Glad to know Florida is not the only State that allows us to pay 3 times (or more) for something and take 6 visits to do it. FIRST here in Florida you cannot use a "Restored" tag...it has to be "original" paint or "NO Dice"!! SECOND......any sale of a "used" vehicle I use the "EVEN TRADE" route. I sold my 2001 Yukon to my machinist for "Labor & Parts" for an antique car - EVEN TRADE so NO Sales taxes involved!!!!! Just tag and title transfer fee's.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #35
38coop

I tried to register a 1949 Fla tag for my 49 Ford car and they turned it down because the vehicle weight was not on the title.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #36
38coop

I should have added that they had no problem letting me register a Fla antique tag for the same car.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #37
woodiewagon46

rockfla, as I stated in my original post, New York DMV law is the same as Florida, by using unrestored plates only. The 1932 plates on my friends car were rusty and just about unreadable, but were approved by the state. A nicely restored plate with the exact colors for the year of manufacture, and legible numbers, will be denied by the state DMV. Makes no sense.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #38
ssffnomad

Yep. In NY, I have heard of guys wetting restored plates with water, throwing a hand full of light brown dirt on them. Take a picture, send it off and get registered to use restored plates.
Never witnessed myself 🤓
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:53 PM   #39
Zax40

Wow, collector or historical plate registration is free in GA. You just pay for your standard tag and registration and fill out a form and bring the tag in and they will associate it to your registration. The tag on my '40 has a bullet hole and they didn't complain, they just thought it was funny.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #40
richard crow

they keep screwing US & the people keep reelecting them.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote