Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
javiern54

Default Riley 2 port and B motor problems

I am having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my model a. The motor is a GAZ motor with 100 miles on it and the head is a charlie yapp riley 2-port. It seemed to have blown a head gasket, at first. After driving and letting it warm up, it began to smoke a little, then all at once a huge ploom of smoke came up around the engine, I thought it was on fire for a sec. So I assumed it was a head gasket, but when the head was removed it looked fine. Both surfaces are flat and no obvious signs of failure. The cylinder walls look good, I havent pulled any pistons yet. I felt like an oil ring on a piston wouldnt allow that much to dump at once. Where is the oil coming from? And so much at once? thanks
javiern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: Riley 2 port and B motor problems

Smoke came up around the engine? Not out of the exhaust? Isn't this indicative of an external leak rather than internal?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

What color was the smoke?
Did you block off the 2 small coolant holes in the block?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #4
colin1928

Are we talking blue smoke or white steam ?
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Vicky

Is it internal crankcase pressure; oil fill tube clogged? Tell tale sign is the rear main will leak pretty bad.

On the head gasket side, if the Riley's don't have the "Fire Wire" in the Head Gasket, between the cylinders, they are prone to blowing the Head Gasket, but you could see the gasket blown.

Just a couple thoughts.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiern54 View Post
I am having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my model a. The motor is a GAZ motor with 100 miles on it and the head is a charlie yapp riley 2-port. It seemed to have blown a head gasket, at first. After driving and letting it warm up, it began to smoke a little, then all at once a huge ploom of smoke came up around the engine, I thought it was on fire for a sec. So I assumed it was a head gasket, but when the head was removed it looked fine. Both surfaces are flat and no obvious signs of failure. The cylinder walls look good, I havent pulled any pistons yet. I felt like an oil ring on a piston wouldnt allow that much to dump at once. Where is the oil coming from? And so much at once? thanks
Hey Javier,
Taking your words literally, first thing I'd check for is an oil leak...from the engine, where the oil squirted onto the exhaust ('after letting iT warm up') . Look the exhaust piping over closely and you may see where the oil burnt area is. If I remember correctly, the GAZ block had oil pressuring , more so than even the US B block..no ? Anyway, is that pressure squirting oil out of some oil line or orifice, that could explain large amount of smoke.

Also, you say that you have a Yapp 2 port up top. There is the necessity to PLUMB an oil line(S) up to an OHV head and I'd bet that somewhere along that plumbed line...is where I'd look FIRST.

How about some pictures for us, eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Gary in MN

Hi J: I sent you a pm. Gary
Gary in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:57 AM   #8
colin1928

Rileys have no plumbing for oil to the rockers or valves they have a oil felt that is just moist with oil (they should feel oily but not drip oil) any chance you over oiled the felts
saw a guy fill the cups to the top once it smoked so bad the plugs oiled up
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
Rileys have no plumbing for oil to the rockers or valves they have a oil felt that is just moist with oil (they should feel oily but not drip oil) any chance you over oiled the felts
saw a guy fill the cups to the top once it smoked so bad the plugs oiled up
The C Yapp 2 port heads DO have oil to the rockers and don't need the feltpads. The oil needs to be plumbed to the head. The original Riley 2 port heads didn't have oil to the rockers and needed/used the felt pads.

This is an original Riley 2 port with C Yapp rocker arm stands installed and plumbed for pressure to the rocker arms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oiling.jpg (84.2 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by just plain bill; 04-08-2015 at 12:05 PM.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by just plain bill View Post
The C Yapp 2 port heads DO have oil to the rockers and don't need the feltpads. The oil needs to be plumbed to the head. The original Riley 2 port heads didn't have oil to the rockers and needed/used the felt pads.
I may be going out on a limb here but if I remember correctly the early heads that Charlie made did not have oiling to the rockers. Locate your serial number and post it or call him. You might also post your serial number and ask if there is anything else you should know as there were a few improvements during the production.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote