Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default tubed vs tubeless?

Read the thread originally posted by 31 Patina on running tubeless on a '35. Seemed like 50/50 on whether it's a good idea or not? In it B-Nut indicated he had run tubeless radials for 5 years with no issues? I am leaning that way my self. My '35 Tudor had been in storage for 20 years with a set of tubeless. Been using them just until I get everything set up right ( only in driveway which is 1500 ft. long ) the tires were low when I bought it but still had enough air after 20 years to keep them off the rims.

I believe I will be going radial tubeless like B-Nut for the street and monitor the pressure, am I nuts?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
billwill

Default Re: tubed vs tubeless?

Sounds like goodplan
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
AnthonyG

OK, that's 2 to 0 so far
Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
ford38v8

Tony, I respectfully submit that you will find your tubeless tires on 1935 rims will most definitely contain tubes within.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

I agree with Alan. I would not run tubeless on my 35PU.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
AnthonyG

Hi Allen and Lawson Cox, I'll let you know when I pull the 20 year old ties off the rims. I'm thinking if there are tubes in I will go with tubes. ( don't think so as the valve stems are very recognizably for tubeless, but I could be wrong don't want to mess with them too much til I'm ready to remove and create problems before I'm ready ). I do respect your advice and knowledge and will definitely take it into account .
Thx
Old 02-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Don

Just put 4 new radials on my 35 .Took rims to Cokers in Tenn. And had them mounted and balanced there . They recommended tubes for the narrow rims,I think only about 4-1/2 wide.they said tubeless might work,but safer with the tubes.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I ran tubless on my 51 F-1 for 15 plus years. Used the truck to haul anything I wanted to as long as I could get in in the bed. Heavest measured load was 2700 of crushed stone. Hauled all the material to build a 30 X 34 building in two loads. I believe they were heaver than the stone. And yes I know it was too much to haul for each of those loads. The tires were rated for passinger car not truck.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Here is my two cents. If your rims are clean, no pits or rust than the tubeless may work out for you. If your rims are not like new condition, I would run tubes in the radial tires. I am running tubes in my radial tires that are on the '39. That combination has worked very well for me.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
jimvette59

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Read the thread originally posted by 31 Patina on running tubeless on a '35. Seemed like 50/50 on whether it's a good idea or not? In it B-Nut indicated he had run tubeless radials for 5 years with no issues? I am leaning that way my self. My '35 Tudor had been in storage for 20 years with a set of tubeless. Been using them just until I get everything set up right ( only in driveway which is 1500 ft. long ) the tires were low when I bought it but still had enough air after 20 years to keep them off the rims.

I believe I will be going radial tubeless like B-Nut for the street and monitor the pressure, am I nuts?
The problem is not the tires holding air it's the bead on the rim not designed for tubeless tires. They tend to pop off when wet in hard turns and other conditions. JMHO.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
The problem is not the tires holding air it's the bead on the rim not designed for tubeless tires. They tend to pop off when wet in hard turns and other conditions. JMHO.

I don't ever remember seeing or hearing any warnings about using tubeless tires on wheels that originally had tube tires. The only thing the tube does is keep the air inside the tire...it cannot prevent the tire from coming on off the wheel. Air pressure supports the tire, not the tube.

Last edited by V8 Bob; 02-28-2014 at 03:02 PM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
Mart

You should be able to see if the valve belongs to a tube or is a proper tubeless valve.

With a tube, if the tyre pressure is low you should be able to push the valve back and forth into the wheel rim. You should also see that it does not have rubber locating against the outside surface of the rim.

A tubeless valve will not press into the rim and will be held in place by the shape of the rubber.

It should be easy to tell the difference if you look closely enough.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
blucar

Properly inflated tubeless tires coming off of a rim is another one of those old myths that just won't go away. In fifty plus years of driving I have never had a tubeless tire come of of a rim. I've had a flat or two, but there again the tubeless tire did not react any differently than a tube type did.
In 1956 I had a '53 Olds 88. I was getting the car ready to take on my honey moon, my tire man talked me into putting Kelly Springfield tubeless tires on the car. After the tires were installed I stopped by my insurance agents office. He noted I had tubeless tires on the Olds, he told me they were dangerous, they would come off of the rim on turns. I should have the tires removed, or else he would cancel my insurance.
I went back to the tire store, I was assured that the insurance man did not know what he was talking about. The tire store and Kelly Springfield would warrantee that the tires would not come off of the rims on turns..
I changed insurance agents...

Last edited by blucar; 03-01-2014 at 01:00 PM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
TDO

There's several in are local club running radials on 35 rims tubeless with no problems. I plan on running them on mine in the near future.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
AnthonyG

WOW, seem like the score has flipped in favor of tubeless being OK on "35 rims. My rims are perfect, look almost new. Some one did a hell of a nice job on them 20 years ago and they still look great. I'd include a pic but they're pretty dusty in the garage as I'm working on the car before spring. I'm with you Mart on the stems, these are definitely not connected to a tube and they over lap onto the steel rim like every tubeless tire / rim set I've ever seen.
Thx all, will send close up pics of the wheel / tire combo when she's ready with the new ones.