Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
Nabco

Default Jerry Isbell Long Time Model A'r Passed Away

Jerry was a long time friend of my father-in-law in Florida, just heard from my mother-in-law that he passed away yesterday.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Jerry under unfortunate circumstances at my father-in-laws memorial service after his passing on Easter Sunday in Florida. What a wealth of knowledge, we spent probably 30 minutes talking until my wife finally pulled me away to meet some other folks at the service.

RIP Jerry....

Nick
Nabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Jerry Isbell Long Time Model A'r Passed Away

unfortunately our hobby is losing much of our expertise. The skills and knowledge are lost forever. This fine gentleman takes a wealth of knowledge with him. My sincere condolences to his family and friends ! May God Bless ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Nabco

When I met him a few weeks ago he said he still had a ton of inventory left from his store, I guess he closed it the end of last year...said he would sell anything he has but in his words "you need to pay the sales tax, I'm done dealing with the state"

Nick
Nabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
Bob-A

Unhappy Re: Jerry Isbell Long Time Model A'r Passed Away

I use to see Jerry off and on at his shop back in the 90's up until I moved away from Orlando in 2006. Last time I saw him was about 9-10 months ago. He was a great guy sorry to hear of his passing. Prayers for him and his family.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
BlueSunoco

Was he related to Mick Isbell the electric w/s wiper guru??

I have read about his store in the past sounded like he was a real square shooter, nice guy.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

I met Jerry a number of years ago and alway went by his Canterberry shop whenever I was in Orlando visiting my father. I was amazed that he remembered me from mu semi-annual visits and always took the time , over a coke, to talk As. Dad like Jerry was retired military which gave them something in comon to talk abput. When Dad was 97 and in a VA home Jerry invited us to visit the Orlando Club which was having a meeting and display at a local retirement center. Dad loved it and could identify all the As by year and body style.

I always made it a point to make some purchases and to keep in touch. I looked forwarded to my visits. He was a great guy and an asset to the hobby.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
JohnLaVoy

I met Jerry several years ago. I visited him at his shop and did an article on him in the Model A Times. Great guy, very knowledgable about the Model A. Scotty stopped and visited him last year when he was on his drive around the country. Jerry told him then he was trying to sell the business or close up.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
ODFever

I knew Jerry for more than 12 years. He always had a smile on his face. He was so happy that my wife and I bought our first Model A earlier this year and rejoined the Model A's of Greater Orlando. The loss to the Model A community is nearly incalculable. He was a valuable asset and a great friend. I miss him terribly, and there's a part of me that still can't believe he's gone. :-(

Here is the story that the local news channel assembled to honor Jerry. I saw the video camera at the funeral home, and heard a helicopter overhead as we honored his memory by driving our Model A's down the road for an impromptu parade. We had 12 or 13 cars in the lineup. I know Jerry's spirit was with us that day.

http://www.wesh.com/news/loved-ones-...ector/33176928

This is a carburetor tech tips video that Jerry did a while back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM-J25mPWk0