Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2023, 04:05 PM   #1
Mike/Nebraska

Default brakes on a speedster

I'm putting a speedster and still gathering parts. I want to use hydraulic brakes on one end. Would they work better on the front or the rear?
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 05:13 PM   #2
old31

Default Re: brakes on a speedster

I would put them in the front, but why hydraulic. A perfectly adjusted mechanical system will stop as good as hydraulic. If you are installing a single cylinder master and it dies, your dead.

I could loose 1 brake rod and it will still stop.

If you want to get people talking about your speedster, then let them look at a mechanical brake system on a speedster. The younger generations have no clue what it is.
old31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 06:42 PM   #3
Synchro909

IMO, the original mechanical brakes will be plenty good enough for such a light car as a speedster. If the brakes are too "good" they are no good. You don't want to be locking one end of the car too early and adjusting them will no be as easy as I think you expect.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:05 PM   #4
nkaminar

The mechanical brakes on my heavy 1930 Fordor stop the car with authority. I have the Flat Head Ted floaters and have the brakes biased towards the front. However, I am careful not to use the brakes continuously down a long grade. The cast iron drums help in this regard but why push it.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:58 PM   #5
31Tudor

I have mechanical brakes on my speedster and mechanical brakes will lock up in a heartbeat. As already mentioned speedsters are pretty light. One the wheels are skidding whether it be mechanical or hydraulic, you are along for the ride.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:45 PM   #6
henry's 31

Hi 31 Tudor:

Very nice Speedster as your Avatar.
Could you post a photo of it. I will be putting one together in the near future.
Old 08-11-2023, 01:35 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

If I was my vehicle I would use brakes on all 4 wheels, the ’39 to ’48 ford brakes would be the least expensive. Using the wide bolt pattern wheels from 1939 might result in an interesting look. The ’40-’48 are 5 of 5 ½ and there a lot more wheel choices. If you run Model A wheels (or other Ford wire wheels through 1935 including aftermarket such as bent spoke Kelseys [my favorite])on these brakes be sure to use spacers (see http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...=1#post1286293).

Another problem that hasn’t been brought up yet. If you were involved in an accident/lawsuit with two wheel brakes the first words out of the opposing lawyer’s mouth would be “Of course he couldn’t stop in time, he only has brakes on two wheels".

Charllie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 05:34 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
If I was my vehicle I would use brakes on all 4 wheels, the ’39 to ’48 ford brakes would be the least expensive. Using the wide bolt pattern wheels from 1939 might result in an interesting look. The ’40-’48 are 5 of 5 ½ and there a lot more wheel choices. If you run Model A wheels (or other Ford wire wheels through 1935 including aftermarket such as bent spoke Kelseys [my favorite])on these brakes be sure to use spacers (see https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=1#post1286293).

Another problem that hasn’t been brought up yet. If you were involved in an accident/lawsuit with two wheel brakes the first words out of the opposing lawyer’s mouth would be “Of course he couldn’t stop in time, he only has brakes on two wheels".

Charllie Stephens
I think Mike was talking about hydraulic brakes on the front and mechanical on the back = four wheel brakes.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:14 AM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I think Mike was talking about hydraulic brakes on the front and mechanical on the back = four wheel brakes.
You may be right but I assumed he was going to leave one axle without brakes. Whaat do you say Mike?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 10:56 AM   #10
Jim Brierley

Why is it that when a guy asks a question, about brakes or anything else, people don't just answer the question? He asked about hydraulics on the front or rear, not a word about mechanicals. It sounds like he has already made up his mind, why try to change it???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:16 AM   #11
Dodge

If it is only on one end it will have to be the rears. Many cars built before the Model A only
had rear wheel brakes.
Better control of the car under braking with them on the rear only.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:57 AM   #12
updraught

Yeah, the old thinking was that if the front brakes lock up you lose steering. A bit like we were told as kids not to have front brakes on your bike as you will go over the handle bars.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:47 PM   #13
Mike/Nebraska

Actually I wondered what hydraulic brake set up will work on a Model A rear end.
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote