Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #1
tubman

Default Engine noise

This morning, when I started my '51 Ford with the '51 Merc engine, I noticed a slight tapping sound. It varies with engine speed, but is not there at idle. After the engine warms up, it goes away completely. The car has good oil pressure (idles at 20 psi hot, and runs down the road at 55 psi or so).

I suspect a wrist pin. Anyone got another opinion? As I understand it, this is not a serious problem until it happens all the time.

Last edited by tubman; 08-05-2022 at 02:46 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:02 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Engine noise

Piston slap goes away as the piston warms up and expands a little.

I I had a wrist pin ticking in a y-block. I didn't know what it was until it weakened the rod and broke it in two, wiping out the block. When I disassembled the engine I could feel the slack in the wrist pin bushing.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:02 PM   #3
Angledrive

Could be fuel pump rod. Do you have a stethoscope handy?
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #4
19Fordy

tubman, I have the same "noise" in my 8BA. But there is no noise at start up. Then as engine warms up this slight metallic sound (ting, ting, ting) is heard. It comes and goes. Oil pressure is same as yours. I have always thought it is a wrist pin also. Have never taken engine apart to find out. Stethoscope didn't help locate noise source. If you figure it out, please let us know. Thanks, JIM
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:54 PM   #5
B-O-B

does your engine light come on? ha-ha just kidding. Could be a valve. I had a tap tap tap on a new rebuild & I was waiting to readjust them & setting at a traffic light. The light turned green & I started to go, not hot but like you would normally take start off & all of a sudden there was this loud noise & the engine started missing. I was only a couple of blocks from home so babied it home & pulled the heads off. Found a valve head laying on top of the piston, lucky me it didn't hurt anything. Replaced all the springs & valves.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:54 PM   #6
drolston

Same symptom in the '53 Merc engine in my 34 pickup. My theory was that one valve lash is set a little loose and it quiets down after the engine heats up and the valve stem and lifter elongate to tighten the gap.

I did the math and the elongation would be less than .001. Probably not enough to quiet a loose lifter. Just shot down my own theory. So I will just continue to drive and be glad that by the time I get out of the subdivision the little tapping is gone.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Same symptom in the '53 Merc engine in my 34 pickup. My theory was that one valve lash is set a little loose and it quiets down after the engine heats up and the valve stem and lifter elongate to tighten the gap.

I did the math and the elongation would be less than .001. Probably not enough to quiet a loose lifter. Just shot down my own theory. So I will just continue to drive and be glad that by the time I get out of the subdivision the little tapping is gone.
I'm with you (for now).
Old 08-05-2022, 08:30 PM   #8
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
tubman, I have the same "noise" in my 8BA. But there is no noise at start up. Then as engine warms up this slight metallic sound (ting, ting, ting) is heard. It comes and goes. Oil pressure is same as yours. I have always thought it is a wrist pin also. Have never taken engine apart to find out. Stethoscope didn't help locate noise source. If you figure it out, please let us know. Thanks, JIM
Your problem seems to be opposite of mine. Mine taps at start-up and goes away after a short warm-up. Plus, it's more of a tap, not a metallic "ting, ting". Right now, I'm at the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" stage.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:39 PM   #9
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angledrive View Post
Could be fuel pump rod. Do you have a stethoscope handy?
Stethoscope is a good idea, or just a long extension(s) with one end on your ear and the other touching the block along the intake manifold. Unlikely to be the fuel pump push rod because it is under constant spring pressure from the pump lever.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:06 PM   #10
cadillac512

More likely a piston noise than a wrist pin. Pins don't tighten up like the aluminum piston does as it warms. That's just assuming it's in the piston/pin area of course and we know how assumptions can go.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote