Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
freak

Default Snyder's radiator vs stock

First let me say that I love Snyder's, I've bought a lot of parts from them and they've always been great. They shipped my new radiator very quickly! This is a comparison of their 30-31 HD radiator to what I believe is a stock radiator.

There are major differences. First thing I noticed was the new one was about 1/3 the weight. My old one is not plugged up with scale what little scale is there I don't believe makes the difference. The radiator looks very different and is constructed different. The lower tank is flat on the repro and the stock has an angled design. The lower outlet on the repro is very narrow. I cannot even get a finger in it. The stock one is much larger that I can reach right through. This bothers me more than anything. The tanks look different as shown but as this isn't a points car I can live with it. The plate for the top mounting rods is very different and the width between the notches is probably close to an inch narrower in the repro. There are other differences as you can see in the pics. This radiator cost $580 which is $200 less than a Bergs. I'd like to see it side by side with a Berg's to see if I wished I got the Bergs. I think I'm going to recore my stock radiator and maybe put it back in someday. For now I'm happy that I'll be on the road Sunday weather permitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rad1.jpg (94.0 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg rad2.jpg (44.9 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg rad3.jpg (50.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg rad4.jpg (40.3 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg rad5.jpg (39.8 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg rad6.jpg (86.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg rad7.jpg (70.5 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg rad8.jpg (92.1 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg rad9.jpg (98.6 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by freak; 03-29-2021 at 09:46 AM.
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Synders radiator vs stock

What does Snyder's say about the lower outlet??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

The restriction of the lower coolant outlet is a concern. A stock radiator drains by gravity in about 3.5 to 4 seconds. I suggest you fill the repro radiator with water and note the time it takes to drain.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
First let me say that I love Snyder's, I've bought a lot of parts from them and they've always been great. They shipped my new radiator very quickly! This is a comparison of their 30-31 HD radiator to what I believe is a stock radiator.

There are major differences. First thing I noticed was the new one was about 1/3 the weight. My old one is not plugged up with scale what little scale is there I don't believe makes the difference. The radiator looks very different and is constructed different. The lower tank is flat on the repro and the stock has an angled design. The lower outlet on the repro is very narrow. I cannot even get a finger in it. The stock one is much larger that I can reach right through. This bothers me more than anything. The tanks look different as shown but as this isn't a points car I can live with it. The plate for the top mounting rods is very different and the width between the notches is probably close to an inch narrower in the repro. There are other differences as you can see in the pics. This radiator cost $580 which is $200 less than a Bergs. I'd like to see it side by side with a Berg's to see if I wished I got the Bergs. I think I'm going to recore my stock radiator and maybe put it back in someday. For now I'm happy that I'll be on the road Sunday weather permitting.
Why don’t you return it and buy a Berg.You get what you pay for. Buy cheap, get cheap!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
brito36

I would send it back and purchase a Berg radiator. A lot closer looking than the one from Snyder's. You can also send your old radiator to Berg and have him restore it with one of his cores.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brito36 View Post
I would send it back and purchase a Berg radiator. A lot closer looking than the one from Snyder's. You can also send your old radiator to Berg and have him restore it with one of his cores.

I just called Berg and he said he doesn't re-core anymore.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #7
GeneBob

Might the new one be aluminum instead of brass? The pictures of the new one show paint on all the surfaces so it is hard to see if it is brass. The new one appears to have a couple more fins per inch. Talk to the folks at Snyder's, they have always been very responsive when I have asked questions.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:28 PM   #8
freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
Might the new one be aluminum instead of brass? The pictures of the new one show paint on all the surfaces so it is hard to see if it is brass. The new one appears to have a couple more fins per inch. Talk to the folks at Snyder's, they have always been very responsive when I have asked questions.

No it's brass. The new one does have more fins per inch and I knew that up front.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #9
Bob-A

Smile Re: Synders radiator vs stock

I bought one of Snyder's lower priced "A" replacement radiators a couple of years ago. The fins are paper thin......! It fits and does not leak, however
the top tank inlet is not angled correctly to the coolant outlet on the engine head. I believe I had to use a little bit longer hose to look right. The radiator in the car that was replaced. Was an old 40's-50's 2-tube replacement that cooled fine. But, it developed a leak and there is no decent radiator shops in my area. And yes, the old radiator weights about twice as much as the new one.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

I agree with the others. Return it and pony up for a Berg's radiator. I wouldn't want to run that thing.

Geez what does it take to make quality parts? Or maybe Model A'ers are just too cheap to pay for quality
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #11
kenparker0703

I hsv put Snyders HD ($585) radiator in one of mine and one customers cars within the last two years. Both of us are perfectly happy with the radiators.
kenparker0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:03 PM   #12
Gene F

I have had 2 of the HD ones from Snyders over the years. I have a 28. I could not be happier with mine. The one in my car now was installed 2 years ago, and still operates perfectly, even on the hottest of days. One thing my wife noticed, the better radiator makes the passenger compartment a little cooler on those hot days.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #13
john in illinois

A friend bought Snyders economy radiator due his mistake in ordering.
He had overheating problems with a newley rebuilt engine. He thought he had bought the premium.
Maybe you got a cheap one

Another vote for Bergs if you drive a lot.

John
Old 03-28-2021, 06:16 PM   #14
51504bat

I'm not a Model A guy but I do have 8ba flathead radiator experience. You might take a look at Brassworks. Their web site lists various options according to your needs. Lee at Brassworks will take the time to discuss your particular needs and recommend accordingly. No one size fits all. From what I can tell by comparing Berg's web site to Brassworks prices are comparable. Shipping might be an issue since Brassworks is in CA. And, Brassworks is about 10 weeks out on orders. Just another option to consider on deciding on a radiator. FWIW, I've never heard anyone have anything bad to say about Brassworks either here on the Barn or the HAMB. JMO.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #15
nkaminar

Default Re: Snyder's radiator vs stock

I took a heavy duty pressurized radiator out of my car and replaced it with a 90 year old original radiator that I bought from a friend for $50. The old radiator was leaking due to a previous owner running the car into something and jamming the fan nut and fan into the radiator. I am happy with the stock one but it has not been tested in hot weather yet. The new old radiator was tested for flow and leaks by my friend and the fins are tight on the tubes. The added benefits with the stock radiator are that the stock hand crank bearing can be used and it is further away from the fan and fan nut. The radiator I removed had the flat bottom and someone had to cut off the top of the hand crank bearing to get it installed.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #16
Paul Bjarnason

I bought a Chinese aluminum radiator for my '29 Tudor for about $300. Beautiful craftsmanship but not terribly original looking when the hoods are open. Looks closer to a radiator from the early 1900's with square features. The one I bought was not pressurized and I later decided to pressurize it. The company sent me a filler neck for $5 including the cap, that I will have welded on locally. I was impressed with this company's desire to make me happy.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #17
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
A friend bought Snyders economy radiator due his mistake in ordering.
He had overheating problems with a newley rebuilt engine. He thought he had bought the premium.
Maybe you got a cheap one

Another vote for Bergs if you drive a lot.

John
Why didn’t he send it back and pay the difference and exchange it ?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:15 AM   #18
nkaminar

Here is an update on my original 1930 radiator. Instead of starting a new thread I am updating here for the record.

It is now warmer. I drove my 1930 Fordor to Atlanta this last weekend, 284 miles. I took the freeway down at 60 to 65 mph in overdrive. I had overheating problems. I took the thermostat out which improved things but the car still overheated. The temperature in Atlanta was in the low 80's.

On the way back I took the back roads and never went over 55 mph, mostly lower speed. The car performed great with no overheating. It was cooler on the way back, in the mid 60's.

Bottom line is that if you have a stock car and drive 45 to 55 mph, especially in cooler weather, the stock radiator will work fine. If you live where it is hot and drive your car at freeway speeds you will need a more modern radiator.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote