Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2021, 10:16 PM   #1
zoegrant

Default Disk brakes on 55 ford sedan

Anyone install disk brakes on their 55 Ford full size car ?
If so, who sells the kit ?
Thanks
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
56sedandelivery

Default Re: Disk brakes on 55 ford sedan

Got my 56 Courier front brakes from MPBrakes
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:27 PM   #3
Ole Don

There was an article in Y block magazine a few years back on installing Granada spindles and brakes on a 55 sedan. If you can still find a Granada in a scrap yard, its pretty easy to do the swap, and comes out about on third the cost of most of the kits.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #4
zoegrant

Thanks guys...will commence my search...
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:59 PM   #5
miker98038

The Granada spindles lower the car IIRC. I think most of the Thunderbird suppliers sell kits, pretty much like I installed 20 years ago. There's a spacer that goes on the splindle and allows a different bearing, a Granda rotor with the center turned down for the early wheels, and a custom bracket to mount the caliper. Mine came with an Fairlane caliper, year unknown. It moves the wheel out about 1/8", which isn't normally a problem. I used the oem remote booster, and the kit came with various other bits and pieces. A new disc/drum master was included, and the boost was only used on the front disc. I don't recall if different rear brake cylinders were in my kit (for brake balance), but some do.

Proper adjustment of the rear drums was critical. Brakes were good with the stock tires, but when I went to wider tires I couldn't lock the fronts until well after the backs locked up. Turned out to be the pads were too hard. With the right pads, proportioning valve etc. it all sorted out.

An acquaintance who lives close enough to go down looked at the front disc set up at Prestige Thunderbird. He's got a 56 pass car, and was really impressed by the engineering they'd done to solve all that, and they apparently do that for the full size car. I think that would be worth a phone call to them.

http://prestigethunderbird.com/
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:29 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Wink Re: Disk brakes on 55 ford sedan

Let me begin my b!cthin' session.

I studied the BIRD disc/drum conversions and the first round of kits came through with resized rear wheel cylinders to hopefully somehow overcome the bias between front disc and front drum. Ain't gonna work that way. Front disc is considerably more aggressive than front drum and the only way to hopefully control the bias is with a front metering valve and rear proportioning valve, period. The later kits (BIRD) included the PPV (in the form of a COMBINATION VALVE I believe). I think somebody woke up.

When you go to a larger tire on a car, it adds leverage and most likely will over power the original brakes.

Most of these kit offerings are not (IMO) thought out well and include many parts that will not work together. And then they sell you a kit with GM/CHI-COM parts and will not tell you what exact application they were from so you are stuck trying to find correct service replacement parts at the next brake job.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #7
JeffB2

These folks have been around a while. https://www.performanceonline.com/19...onversion-kit/ One advantage with this is you don't have disturb the ball joints and suspension as it uses your stock spindles.

Last edited by JeffB2; 04-09-2021 at 02:43 AM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #8
2dasand

There is a guy on EBay selling parts for Granada to Ford car brakes. He re-machines the granada spindles to accept the early Ford Ball joints and tie rods. All the Granada stuff bolts on from there. He sells bare spindles, all the way to complete brake kits and also offers master and booster combos as well. I have looked at his stuff, but don't know anything else about it. Search 1955 Ford Customline brakes, that is how I found it.
2dasand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: Disk brakes on 55 ford sedan

Read This - www.discbrakeswap.com/The Granada swap install guide 2nd edition 02.1

Uses FORD parts - Spindles new cast.

Don't need drilled or slotted rotors. Just a waster of money (IMO).

JUST SAY NO TO DELCO ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:48 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Disk brakes on 55 ford sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

An acquaintance who lives close enough to go down looked at the front disc set up at Prestige Thunderbird. He's got a 56 pass car, and was really impressed by the engineering they'd done to solve all that, and they apparently do that for the full size car. I think that would be worth a phone call to them.

http://prestigethunderbird.com/
You know, I looked at their kit and it is well thought out. It is using the GRANADA rotor and 65/67 KH 4-piston calipers.

There is no description of valving but this is better (IMO) than either the GRANADA or TORINO swap. Both of those do present problems and this kit uses the original spindles.

And I see no reason it cannot be used on PASS CAR,

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 04-08-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
paul2748

I did the Granada swap on my 54. Including reaming the ball joint hole. Brakes work real good.

Granada parts (as well as the like Mercury and Lincoln Versailles)are getting hard to find.

Beside MPBrakes, Engineered Components Inc (ECI) sells conversion kit. The latter actually build the kits.

Last edited by paul2748; 04-08-2021 at 08:17 PM. Reason: arts
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:36 AM   #12
JeffB2

Guys in my 1952-59 Ford Group on the H.A.M.B. are always satisfied with products from this company both brake conversions and glass,this kit allows you to keep your stock wheels is desired. https://www.autocityclassic.com/full...ada-fdpwr5556/
Old 04-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #13
2dasand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
Guys in my 1952-59 Ford Group on the H.A.M.B. are always satisfied with products from this company both brake conversions and glass,this kit allows you to keep your stock wheels is desired. https://www.autocityclassic.com/full...ada-fdpwr5556/
Off topic, but where is this group on the HAMB???
Old 04-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #14
JeffB2

Click on this link: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-here.1096485/ Post #4 tells you how to join up.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:14 PM   #15
55blacktie

Does anyone think new cars should come equipped with 4-wheel drum brakes?
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #16
2dasand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
Click on this link: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-here.1096485/ Post #4 tells you how to join up.
Thank you!