Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #101
mercman from oz

Default Re: Two-Door Ford and Mercury Wagons

I meant the Chrome extensions from the Bumper Guards that wrapped around the ends.
I would like to see pictures from the Sales Brochure for the 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries. Does anyone have a copy?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:29 AM   #102
mercman from oz

Have just located a double page from the 'New Ford Trucks for '57 Sales Brochure". This double page shows the Ranchero in the foreground and a small picture of the Courier in the background on the left. From this picture, you can see that both vehicles received totally different side trim. As mentioned by KULTULZ, the side trim on the Courier was similar to the 57 2DR RANCH WAGON DEL RIO. Therefore, the side thim on this nice red and white Courier is totally wrong.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #103
mercman from oz

Look what I found in my Files? An original Advertisement for the 1957 Ford Courier. Note the side trim.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:23 AM   #104
KULTULZ

Post Re: Two-Door Ford and Mercury Wagons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

I meant the Chrome extensions from the Bumper Guards that wrapped around the ends.
I think I know what you are describing. That only came through on high trim levels.

Quote:

Have just located a double page from the 'New Ford Trucks for '57 Sales Brochure". This double page shows the Ranchero in the foreground and a small picture of the Courier in the background on the left. From this picture, you can see that both vehicles received totally different side trim.

As mentioned by KULTULZ, the side trim on the Courier was similar to the 57 2DR RANCH WAGON DEL RIO. Therefore, the side thim on this nice red and white Courier is totally wrong.
No, the COURIER came through with basic trim as shown on the sales brochure Ill. The RANCHERO in the Ill shown has a trim level one step below the RANCH WAGON "Del Rio".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 FORD Ranch Wagon _2- 59A.jpg (34.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 FORD Ranch Wagon _8 - 59B.jpg (55.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 FORD Ranch Wagon _9 - 59B 'Del Roi' TuTone.jpg (42.2 KB, 12 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #105
KULTULZ

Question Re: Two-Door Ford and Mercury Wagons

Quote:

I would like to see pictures from the Sales Brochure for the 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries. Does anyone have a copy?
Do you mean the assembly as shown below (1956 FORD)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 FORD Frt Bumper Grille Guard.JPG (61.0 KB, 437 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #106
scicala

Attached Thumbnails

No, look at the picture in post #100. Talking about 1957. Not 1956.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #107
KULTULZ

Question Re: Two-Door Ford and Mercury Wagons

Quote:

My thoughts are that the Front Bumper is correct, with a Genuine Ford Accessory piece above the Bumper Guards, however, I have never seen the side chrome on the bumper on 57 Fords.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

Attached Thumbnails

No, look at the picture in post #100. Talking about 1957. Not 1956.

Sal
So he is describing the actual grille guard as shown on the 57 photo?

If that is so, that is the 57 FORD Grille Guard, optional or accessory.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-31-2017, 05:08 PM   #108
scicala

He's talking about the chrome risers above the front bumper that start at the standard bumper guards and wrap around the sides. I've never seen them before. I'm aware of the V-Bar factory accessory grill guard.

Sal
Old 12-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #109
mercman from oz

scicala said it right. Unfortunately, as I live in Australia, "true" 57 Fords are a rare item, as Ford Australia did not sell these cars here, but updated the 56 Ford Customline by adding the side chrome trim from the 56 Fairlane. However, I have lots of photos of USA 57 Fords in my File, and none have the Grille Guard that starts at the Bumper Guard and wraps around the corner. The Centre Grille Guard with the "V" did in the centre is common, but I have never seen the ones on both sides. They do look good and look factory, but I believe that this is the first time that I have seen them on a 57 Ford. Are these a Genuine Ford Accessory?
Old 12-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #110
mercman from oz

Regarding the Grille Guard on the 56 Fairlane that was posted earlier, no, this style is not what I meant. My personal opinion is that I do not like this style. I like the ones fitted to the 57 Courier, but not this style. If I owned a 56 Ford, there is no way that I would add this Accessory. I hope that I have not insulted anybody, but these are my personal thoughts.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #111
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Two-Door Ford and Mercury Wagons

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

He's talking about the chrome risers above the front bumper that start at the standard bumper guards and wrap around the sides. I've never seen them before. I'm aware of the V-Bar factory accessory grill guard.

Sal
... sheesh ...

Good thing it wasn't a snake. I didn't even notice them.

I remember vaguely having seen them years ago and that is why I showed the 56 install to ask if they were similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 FORD- Grille Bar _2.jpg (46.9 KB, 777 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 FORD- Grille Bar _4.jpg (42.3 KB, 24 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-31-2017, 06:32 PM   #112
scicala

KULTULZ,

I agree. They are hard to notice at first. I didn't notice them at first look either.

Sal
Old 12-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #113
Daves55Sedan

[QUOTE=scicala;1572365]When I looked closely at the picture of the blue '60 Courier that you posted in post #80, I could see there didn't appear to be a 2nd row seat, and also it appeared the front seat was only on the driver's side. I realize these are actuall artist drawings and not photos, but still usually accurate.[QUOTE]

To my knowledge, none of the Courier wagons had provisions for a back seat as these were marketed as haulers and appealed to Mom-n-Pop grocers, Newspaper/parcel deliveries, Floral deliveries, Coroners offices, Police departments, etc.
The Couriers each probably came from the factory with a city bus drivers seat only, however a full bench seat from a 2-door car could have been ordered and installed by the local dealer.
I don't recall ever seeing a Courier with exterior trim options back in the day other than a luggage rack on the roof, but they might have had a variety of electrical/lighting options for police and fire departments.

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 01-02-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:04 PM   #114
KULTULZ

Post Re: Two-Door Ford and Mercury Wagons

Quote:

scicala said it right. Unfortunately, as I live in Australia, "true" 57 Fords are a rare item, as Ford Australia did not sell these cars here, but updated the 56 Ford Customline by adding the side chrome trim from the 56 Fairlane.

However, I have lots of photos of USA 57 Fords in my File, and none have the Grille Guard that starts at the Bumper Guard and wraps around the corner.

The Centre Grille Guard with the "V" did in the centre is common, but I have never seen the ones on both sides. They do look good and look factory, but I believe that this is the first time that I have seen them on a 57 Ford. Are these a Genuine Ford Accessory?
Yes, they are GENUINE. I found a 57 WAGON SALES BROCHURE that has a very bad photo of the option. Being in the brochure, it would have been a factory option (most likely installed @ the selling dealer - dealer prep) and also available over-the-counter as an accessory.

I have found the PN (B7A 18412-A) for the V-BAR but not the extensions. Not sure if the extensions were part of the center kit or sold separately.

Most of this info was deleted from the 49/59MPC @ Final Print many years ago.

Did the photos I included in the above post give you enough detail?

I have a buddy that bought a full trim FAIRLANE years ago and removed a complete setup and put them in his garage attic. If he still has them, he is a rich man. Just the center bar kit is going for 1700.00.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #115
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Regarding the Grille Guard on the 56 Fairlane that was posted earlier. My personal opinion is that I do not like this style.
I agree the car looks better without that "cow-catcher" on the front of it. But I coulda used one like that back in '93 when I was on a 2-lane highway between Eagle and Gypsum Colorado during a blizzard where you literally could not see five feet in front of the car the snow was commin down so hard and I hit a darned cow crossing the road. Its a miracle he didn't knock the headlight shroud off the front fender or somethin
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 PM   #116
mercman from oz

The above pictures are of pages from the original Sales brochures. You can see that the Centre "V" Bar is listed, but not the outside Accessory Bars? However, if you look closely at the illustrations of both the Fairlane 500 and Custom 300, you can see that both cars shows this Accessory. It is unusual that the Wagon Brochure shows this part. It is obviously a rare Accessory for the 57 Fords. If the Centre piece is worth $1700, what are the outside pieces worth?
Old 12-31-2017, 11:03 PM   #117
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Two-Door Ford and Mercury Wagons

DAMN!

THANX for those.

Did you see my scan above where it shows the side bars?

These brochures are like a parts or shop manual, they have different quarterly publishing dates. It may be the extensions were not offered when this particular brochure was printed.

Now, are you sitting down? Got one of them big Aussie beers in your hand?

Look at the attached photo and tell me what you see. I have a couple more surprises but I am leaving in the AM for a few days.

EDIT-

Additional Photos Below-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img100.jpg (54.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 FORD Curier- Rear Gate _2.jpg (51.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 FORD Courier- Rear Gate Opening _1.jpg (58.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 FORD Courier- Rear Gate Opening _2.jpg (49.7 KB, 22 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-01-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: ADD ILLUSTRATIONS
Old 01-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #118
mercman from oz

it is a very warm day here. Have just had a cup of tea for Afternoon Tea. Don't touch that other stuff. Regarding the two pictures that I posted, did you check the front bumpers on both? They have this Accessory shown highlighted on the Illustration of the cars, but not separately like the centre "V" section is.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:55 AM   #119
mercman from oz

Here is a picture that I just found of a 1957 Ford Fairlane with the full Accessory Grille Guard fitted. These Bumper Accessories for the 1957 Fords seem to be few and far between.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #120
Tomjc

My 54 Merc wagon did start as a 54 Ford, Ranch wagon. with 54 not 51 rear quarter panel weld in. 54 Merc dash, steering column, seats even the wheels are Merc. Has a 54 Merc wagon rear bumper and gas tank door and door panels. it is all Merc. The head lights are not frenched just used stock 54 light doors. I am Not from Illinois, there was some wrong info in the Hot Rod magazine article.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (59.6 KB, 521 views)

Last edited by Tomjc; 01-01-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Tomjc is offline   Reply With Quote