Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default MOPAR PCV use?

I’m thinking on trying this out & would like comments! Currently I have a PCV set up using the vent tube in rear of my 8BA to draw from crank case. I have seen guys use the oil fill breather cap with pcv valve T made for mid ‘70’s Mopars (see pic) & putting a filter on the rear breather tube using it to pull in fresh air. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B17148C7-43B3-4EAE-93C3-F7F040344145.jpeg (41.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 04-07-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: MOPAR PCV use?

Where on the rear of your 8BA are you planning to draw crankcase vapors from?
Have not seen any 8BA with rear breather tube.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
Jack E/NJ

Fuel pump stand filler cap. I only use the hose-barbed xler cap to entrain any blowby/vapors that might come out the stand cap into the air filter canister. No valve. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
AnthonyG

The fuel pump stand has the vent nozzle facing the fire wall. Rubber tube attached has a 90 degree formed in it & runs down then along side of bell aimed at street.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
AnthonyG

Jack E, I believe both the crank case vent tube coming off the fuel pump stand & the oil fill tube both enter the crank under the lifters. That being the case the PCV should work on either I think?
Old 04-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
meric42

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have used the kit from Jaqmco that replaces the road draft tube on the front of the 8BA and find it very good.

https://www.jamcosuspension.com/prod...ve-kit-pcv4953

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
The fuel pump stand has the vent nozzle facing the fire wall. Rubber tube attached has a 90 degree formed in it & runs down then along side of bell aimed at street.
It sounds like although you may have an 8BA engine, the intake manifold is configured for 59AB. and does not have the oil filler/breather tube or road draft vent hole installed in the front of the manifold.

Is that correct?

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 04-08-2021 at 03:45 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
Jack E/NJ

AG>>> I believe both the crank case vent tube coming off the fuel pump stand & the oil fill tube both enter the crank under the lifters. That being the case the PCV should work on either I think?>>>

Jack E/NJ
Old 04-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I’m thinking on trying this out & would like comments! Currently I have a PCV set up using the vent tube in rear of my 8BA to draw from crank case. I have seen guys use the oil fill breather cap with pcv valve T made for mid ‘70’s Mopars (see pic) & putting a filter on the rear breather tube using it to pull in fresh air. Thoughts?

Anthony.....I'm not really following exactly WHAT is "DRAWING" air through your system. And, I also wonder if you are familiar with how an 8BA-type is SUPPOSED to breathe 'normally'....un-modified? One goal is to continuously circulate FRESH air through the entirety of the crankcase in an effort to purge impurities that result from the combustion process. And of course, the second goal is to relieve crankcase pressure that results from piston ring blow-by. A drawing BELOW shows the designed path of fresh air through the entire crankcase and valve chamber volume for an 8BA. With a PCV valve, you NORMALLY need to supply a source of vacuum. Am I missing your vacuum hook-up?

If you're interested, the link below shows a detailed thread on a hidden PCV valve system that "Heard" and I created for his newly-built 8BA going in his '35 pick-up with a lot of theory explanation and parts list. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=pcv+valve+8ba

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #10
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
AG>>> I believe both the crank case vent tube coming off the fuel pump stand & the oil fill tube both enter the crank under the lifters. That being the case the PCV should work on either I think?>>>

Jack E/NJ
Only if it is a 59AB engine, in this case it is an 8BA engine.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 04-08-2021 at 03:52 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #11
AnthonyG

DD, Thx & very enlightening! I will be going that route. My misunderstanding of PCV operation was of your earlier thought process on PCV’s. Understanding my 8BA is a bit of a hybrid. As it’s in a ‘35 was built inadvertently as this modified hybrid by my builder when I told him it was gonna go into a ‘35. He said he could make the 8BA look similar to a 50ab to make it look a bit more original. I knew it involved the mod. of using a crab type distributor (he used a Mallory electronic.), but am just realizing he used a 59ab 4 barrel intake with the road draft vent tube in rear of intake coming off the fuel pump stand. I was a Muscle Car only guy w/o any knowledge of Early Fords but as the ‘35 came along as a ‘have-to buy’ even for a Muscle car motor head (me) as it was a great deal on a verifiable very nice low mileage car I bought it w/o engine, radiator or tranny & the education process started around 2013. While I’ve learned a lot & have done much to the ‘35 as seen here I’m still in the learning process. Hind sight is 20/20 & 8 yrs later realize probably shoulda had the 8BA built in 8BA config. Shoulda, coulda,
Old 04-08-2021, 09:04 AM   #12
Jack E/NJ

>>> am just realizing he used a 59ab 4 barrel intake with the road draft vent tube in rear of intake coming off the fuel pump stand.>>>

Does this mean you now have two road draft tubes? One in front as in DD's pix and one in back along with the front vented filler cap? I'm confused. Do you have a photo of what it looks like? Jack E/NJ
Old 04-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
AnthonyG

No, currently 'as built' the builder has front draft opening blocked & only the rear coming off fuel stand in use. The blocked front port opening can be easily opened to utilize as in DD's Instrctions / drwg's.
Also to answer the question on vacuum, yes my original post neglected to say vacuum provided via intake vac port as in DD & Heard's setup.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 04-08-2021 at 09:50 AM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #14
51 MERC-CT

If your 4 bbl. manifold looks like this, you can mount the PCV valve at the road draft location and the vacuum source in the manifold or the carb. if it has a PCV port.
The rear stand can now become the breather/ filler port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 bl.JPG (39.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #15
AnthonyG

51MERC-CT, that is my intake m, also was using suggested vac port & like your idea! It kinda was my original idea but with the MOPAR oil cap made for a PCV. But what you suggest will make for a more pleasing mostly hard plumbed. Think I’ll go with SS tubing instead of copper kinda keeping all the same color / finish.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
DD, Understanding my 8BA is a bit of a hybrid. As it’s in a ‘35 was built inadvertently as this modified hybrid by my builder when I told him it was gonna go into a ‘35... Hind sight is 20/20 & 8 yrs later realize probably shoulda had the 8BA built in 8BA config. Shoulda, coulda
Anthony, I don't see anything wrong with your build, been done hundreds of times. It is just something you need to keep in mind when considering other modifications.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #17
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
51MERC-CT, that is my intake m, also was using suggested vac port & like your idea! It kinda was my original idea but with the MOPAR oil cap made for a PCV. But what you suggest will make for a more pleasing mostly hard plumbed. Think I’ll go with SS tubing instead of copper kinda keeping all the same color / finish.
I am also using a Mopar filler cap.
The small tube fitting goes to the outer chamber of the air cleaner to draw air from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mopar cap.JPG (56.0 KB, 101 views)
Old 04-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #18
AnthonyG

Thx all for the good input!!