Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
TConerly

Default Help removing broken side curtain fastener

HELP NEEDED REMOVING BROKEN SIDE CURTAINS FASTENER
The push button from a male side curtain fastener on my 31 roadster has disappeared and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for removing the male snap without causing any damage to the body or the curtain. Right now the side curtain has to remain in place, as I can't get the snap to release. I tried depressing a small pin visible in the male fastener with the end of a screwdriver, but that doesn't work.

Last edited by TConerly; 06-04-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: fix typo
TConerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:53 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Help removing broken side curtain fastener

To begin with, welcome to Fordbarn.

I am unsure exactly which fastener you are referencing. Can you show a picture of the specific one? I can probably show you a picture of the one you have, -and I likely have an old one that we can photograph the insides showing how the cleats disengage.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
TConerly

Thanks Brent... Here is a photo of a good fastener. When the button is pushed, two prongs retract on the back side to release the fastener from the female snap in the body. On the bad fastener, the button is gone and only a pin is visible in the center of the snap. good fastener.jpg Hope I uploaded the photo correctly...
Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
TConerly

Brent here is a photo of the bad fastener with the button gone, post is visible in center of male fastener.bad fastener missing button.jpg
Old 06-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
redmodelt

If I understand correctly how these work, take a piece of tubing that will slide down in the hole and bevel the inside edge a little. See if pushing it in will force the two tabs that lock it in place to pull in. The next idea, take a small cut off tool and cut the cap off and see if you can work the parts out. If you use the cut off tool be sure to protect the top and area around it from sparks and flying bits of metal.

The 3rd way would be too much chance of damage to the paint and would involve prying out the female part which is installed somewhat like a pop rivet. The female part is domed at the bottom under the spring loaded weather plug like a freeze plug. A tool is used to push the dome down forcing the sides out to lock in place.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
shew01

Would an upholstery shop have a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #7
TConerly

RedModelT and Shew thanks for the suggestions. I tried using a piece of 3/16" tubing to try to actuate the fastener and draw in the two prongs that grip the female snap and that worked -- sort of. Inserting the tube and pushing it in like the missing button didn't work, but with the tube inserted I was able to move the spring mechanism around, sort of like picking a lock, I guess. I ended up taking out the tube and I could see a larger part of the spring device, and I was just able to get the end of a pair of needle nose pliers on it. I pulled on it steadily, not too hard, and the fastener released and came out of the snap. No damage to paint or side curtain. An upholster should be able to replace the fastener without damaging the side curtain if I can get a replacement male fastener. I think I saw one in Snyder's catalog. I was probably lucky in the attempt, I doubt this was the textbook way to solve the problem, but I'm just glad it worked. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
redmodelt

Fantastic!