Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
dmsfrr

Default ('55) T-Bird brake pedal

The brake pedal on this car wants to trap my right foot under it, more than a bit tricky to lift off of the gas pedal.
It's an automatic so after a couple bad moments I've been driving with my left foot for the brake.

It has power brakes and a good sized (3" x 5.5") *Swift Sure* brake pedal.
I could possibly use the smaller brake pedal for a manual trans car but I'm thinking this car may incorrectly have a brake pedal arm from a manual trans T-Bird, one that's closer to the gas pedal than the original 'automatic' part would have been, IF there are two versions of the pedal arm. ???

Assuming a part number is visible without removing the whole arm from under the dash,
is there one on it and what number should it be?
If there are two versions, is there an easier way to tell them apart?
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
fordrodsteven

Default Re: ('55) T-Bird brake pedal

According to my parts digest the same pedal arm is used on both standard and automatic shift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pg 80 - master cyl. and pedals.jpg (39.4 KB, 16 views)
fordrodsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: ('55) T-Bird brake pedal

Actually both pedals are the same but use different pads.

Are you sure the bushings are good and it is not sitting off to one side? How about accelerator linkage(s)?

Do you know of another BIRD you can compare?

How big are your feet ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordrodsteven View Post
According to my parts digest the same pedal arm is used on both standard and automatic shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Actually both pedals are the same but use different pads.
Are you sure the bushings are good and it is not sitting off to one side? How about accelerator linkage(s)?
Do you know of another BIRD you can compare?
How big are your feet ...
Thanks to both of you.

The brake pedal arm doesn't twist or wobble side-to-side.
The gas pedal is screwed to what may be original location holes in the floor although that bottom portion of the floor is patched, and the gas pedal rod thru the (original) firewall hole is centered.

Related problems... The big oem steering wheel really messes with leg room (moving it in or out doesn't help much), the carpet under the gas pedal could be flatter and my feet may not be too big, but my shoes are.

I 'might' be able to find another Bird to look at. I know a couple local guys...
Guess I'll look for the smaller manual trans brake pedal.

Thanks again,
Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180623 copy.jpg (77.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180623_110355036 copy.jpg (92.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-02-2019 at 10:52 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 06-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

I hate to bring this up but it may be helpful to you. The bracket system under the dash that holds the brake pedal assembly on the 1956 cars has a feature that the '55 cars doesn't. The '56 brake pedal has an adjustable height with the use of a cam-bolt that holds the brake pedal arm to the bracket. I wouldn't think the maximum overall amount of adjustable height would be more than 3/4". But if your brake shoes are adjusted optimally, you should be able to lower the brake pedal the full amount without the pedal hitting the floor during a stop (if you had the '56 bracket assembly).
You might think it strange, but I have been used to braking with my left foot for at least the last 30 years. There's plenty of floor space left of the pedal for your foot to rest on the floor during normal driving.
When your were a kid in driving school, they try to teach you not to brake with your left foot because they fear that you will inadvertently leave your left foot on the pedal while driving and drag the brakes. That is probably good advice for some folks.
I like to leave my right foot resting at the base of the gas pedal at all times (due to the two screws that stick up a little bit at the heel of my shoe). Swapping the right foot back and forth between gas and brake pedals messes up my foot position on the gas pedal base pad every time, so I quit moving my foot long ago and just use my left foot for the brake.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Good points Dave.

In addition, there is a return spring that allows the pedal to fully return to rest position. Does your pedal seem to hang too low?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
. . . When you were a kid in driving school, they try to teach you not to brake with your left foot because they fear that you will inadvertently leave your left foot on the pedal while driving and drag the brakes. That is probably good advice for some folks.
Also so you don't have to break & re-learn that left foot habit when you drive a stick-shift car. I do occasionally catch myself resting my left foot on the brake pedal, not a good thing. Besides wearing out the brake shoes early that could also leave the brake lights on and folks behind couldn't tell when you're actually stopping and rear-end you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
. . . I like to leave my right foot resting at the base of the gas pedal at all times (due to the two screws that stick up a little bit at the heel of my shoe). Swapping the right foot back and forth between gas and brake pedals messes up my foot position on the gas pedal base pad every time, so I quit moving my foot long ago and just use my left foot for the brake.
Yes those two screws catching the heel of your right foot don't help much at all. Maybe I'll try some different screws with a smoother head or put a slit in the carpet for the pedal to stick up thru, then the screw heads would be covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
. . . there is a return spring that allows the pedal to fully return to rest position. Does your pedal seem to hang too low?
It does come all the way back up, I just double checked.