Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default 47 generator rear bushing

Confused! The rear bushing on my 47 generator is worn out and needs replaced. As I read the official Ford "Repair Manual Generating and Starting Systems 1933-1947" it says "If the bushing is scored the brush and end plate assembly must be replaced. . . . NOTE: Do not attempt to remove the bushing from the brush end plate assembly as this bushing is not serviced separately." Yet, there seem to be several posts on the forum that discusses replacing that bushing, the "Green Bible" shows it as a part with its own part number, and I just bought the part from C&G.

So, what's the general consensus of opinion? Replaceable or not? If replaceable, how to remove the old one? That exact procedure I haven't found.

P.S. I have not been able to find just the brush end plate assembly for sale separately.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 47 generator rear bushing

No idea on the bushing Henry, but good to see you back on the Barn!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
cas3

bushings in a hole like that can removed by threading a tap in and then extract it with a slide hammer or thread a nut onto the remaining threads of the tap and use a puller on that.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
bushings in a hole like that can removed by threading a tap in and then extract it with a slide hammer or thread a nut onto the remaining threads of the tap and use a puller on that.

Yes, bushings can be changed. Sometimes it's easier to find a swap meet generator that still has a decent end plate. In the past, I've been able to find old generators for 5 bucks, or one time, two for 5 bucks.
Welcome back Henry/Craig
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
koates

Hi Henry, nice to see you are still alive mate. Make sure you lube that new bush before you press it in the end housing. Sit it vertical on one thumb and fill to the top with engine oil and then press down on the top of the bush with your other thumb so that the oil comes through the pores of the bush to the outside. Or soak the bush in engine oil for at least 24 hours. The first method really gets the oil into it completely. If you don't do this then the bush will wear out quickly. Some bushes are just solid brass so that wont be able to get any oil through it in that case, depends what bush you have. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
flathead48

Old Henry, they are replaceable, you can carefully split the bushing and pull it out. Lube the new one after you press it in, chances are the front is wore and also should be replaced. The front one is easy just push it out and press new one in. I think C&G carry’s the parts.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
B-O-B

Quote Old Henry;"I just bought the part from C&G."
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:09 PM   #8
Old Henry

Thanks for all the info.

Two more questions:

1. Since I don't have a tap to thread the bushing nor chisel to chisel it out, I wonder if this extractor for broken off plastic pipe could do the job.

2. If I'm not sure the new bushing is "Oilite" that allows the oil to soak through from the oil reservoir I wonder about drilling just the smallest hole through the bushing to allow the oil from the reservoir to enter the wear surface.

Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bushing Extractor.jpg (81.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #9
Old Henry

Or, one of these broken metal pipe extractors that are cheap at Home Depot?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bushing Extractor alt.jpg (62.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
alanwoodieman

borrow a tap and tap out the hole and use threads as a puller--it is by far the easiest way to remove the bushing
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:21 PM   #11
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
. . . good to see you back on the Barn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Welcome back Henry/Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Hi Henry, nice to see you are still alive mate.
Thanks for the sentiments.

I'm still driving "Old Henry" daily and did two road trips in the last month, a 1,300 mile trip in three days to Virginia City, NV then Boise, ID then home and a 2,000 mile trip in 6 days to Santa Monica and San Diego, CA then Tucson, AZ and home.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:01 AM   #12
cas3

yes, professor, glad to see you back, hope to hear of your future travels in the ford. if you dont have a tap, you can make one. a grade 8 bolt with 4 flutes cut into it with your 4"grinder, every growing boy has a grinder, right? a home made tool like this makes a great thread chaser to clean up old threads, and since we are talking brass bushings, it may be enough to cut threads. or, really, just go buy one, about 4 bucks at any hardware store. next we need the size. i forget the size of the armature end, but i presume you have a dial caliper, every growing boy must have that to play with cars also. they are about 10 bucks for the chinese thing and thats all you need until you get to graduate school. so, the reason to measure is to know what size the hole started out in life, and what size it has worn to. reason being, it may be worn to an odd size that you may want to buy a metric "in between"size, or drill the old bushing to the next size that fits to allow a full depth thread cut. machinist know it as the major and minor measurement of the thread, that being the widest part, and the thinnest part at the bottom of the threads. i know, too much info here, the bushing should not be much of a fight, its brass so not rusted in, and just a press fit, but i would try to get as deep of a thread cut as possible because failure usually means go to plan b. so, once you get a tap screwed in, i would waist half a day making some fancy puller never to be used again, or you could get two matching fine thread bolts with nuts, and clamp the tap in the vise at the correct length to match your bolts with nuts down flush to the end with all four of your hands. now, simply hold a wrench on the end plate side so you dont muck up the aluminum, and with another wrench turn the bolts (or nuts) a little bit on each side until it starts to pull out. hope this makes sense, you can do it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #13
flathead48

Old Henry, it might be cheaper to just buy a small chisel, not a hard job to get them out been rebuilding these for years they split very easy.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #14
cmbrucew

Welcome back Professor.

Bruce
Old 11-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #15
Lawrie

Henry, look on ebay , I bought a nos end plate from there ,or fred at barnfind.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:40 AM   #16
tubman

More specifically, "barnfind08" on here. Fred Wilner at "Southside Obsolete". I am only clarifying this as there is a "barnfind" on here who is NOT SSO.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #17
glennpm

I replaced the bushing in my three brush generator a couple of months ago. I bought the bushing from Vanpelt and used a internal bearing puller to get the old one out. I supported the end plate on the top on my vise and used the slide hammer to pull the bushing out from below. It was stubborn at first, but then once moving came out easily.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/v...atalog2019.pdf

<div>

Last edited by glennpm; 12-01-2019 at 09:26 AM.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #18
Kerk

Drive it out using a wood dowel ground to just fit in bushing,. Fill bushing with grease and drive dowel in pushing out bushing out. Same as removing clutch pilot bushing from flywheel. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #19
Old Henry

The last couple of days the generator has come on and run for about 20 minutes with a slight noise. Then I started smelling a burning smell. About as soon as I did the generator went off for about another 20 minutes until it cooled down, then came back on. I wondered why.

When I took it apart today this is what I found. The bushing was pretty much worn clear out. It was nothing to pound a screwdriver between it and the cylinder to break it in two to pull out. I pounded the new one in then turned to the front one. As soon as I looked at the armature I realized why the cycling on and off with heat. The rear bushing was so worn that it let the armature hit the inside and rub on it enough to heat it up, burn off the insulation between the armature plates, and shut the thing down until it cooled down. I decided the generator was toast and ordered a rebuilt one off of ebay for $100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bushing worn.jpg (103.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Bushing out.jpg (170.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg armature burnt 2.jpg (124.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg armature burnt 1.jpg (126.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 11-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #20
koates

BOY Henry that armature is cooked. Did you not but a drop of oil in that end bush now and then which may have prevented this outcome. Hope your rebuilt generator is really rebuilt. Good luck, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote