Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #1
Frank Miller

Default Northern route and the road to dearborn

I am on the road to Dearborn and decided to do the section of the northern Route 2 that I did not do in September. Staying mostly off the highway I left at 4:30am on Thursday and took the interstate for about a half hour where I headed east on secondary roads until I picked up Route 1 in Portsmouth NH. From there I drove route 1 up into Maine until I reached Acadia.

It was not as challenging as the Pacific coast but there was more traffic. I reached Acadia National Park and got s campsite for the night. The next morning I drove around Acadia and to the top of Cadillac Mountain.

I had breakfast and then headed out towards Bangor to pick up Route 2. Once out of Bangor it was a fairly leisurely drive through farm land to the White Mountains of NH.

I arrived just in time to drive the auto road to the top of Mount Washington. That is quite an adventure I could write a book on. Needless to say flatheads do not like long continuous climbs. I overheated before 2000 feet and could see the trail of water behind me. There was a pull off with running water so I poured some over the radiator to cool it down and was able to take the cap off and refill it. Only took a gallon to top off.

After that it was first gear at 10 to 12 mph. Still stopped two more times but it did not overheat.

I made it to the top and only had a few minutes before they told us we needed to head back down. I drove down in first gear using the brakes sparingly. I did not exceed 20 at any time mostly under 15. I use my GPS as a speedometer so I have pretty accurate numbers. I did not smell my brakes and they still worked so there's that. On my ascent at the first stop a family came down on a mini van and the brakes were smoking. He insisted he was in low gear but I wonder.

Anyway found a cheap hotel and walked down the street to a bar/restaurant to eat. The hostess asked if I wanted to sit at the bar and I said yes if there are a couple of locals I can bother. She pointed me in the right direction as the guy next to me has a 21 roadster he has owned for 50 years. He bought it form Page's Model A which you old timers will remember.

All for now. Got to get going.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: Northern route and the road to dearborn

Frank: did you take any pictures from the top of the mountain?, sounds like a fun trip.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Frank Miller

Yeah, but I have trouble posting here. There's a few on facebook.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
TJ

Knowing Frank he'll make friends in every town. Have a safe trip Frank. Tom
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
Frank Miller

Got a pic from a hill in Vermont and a ferry ride across Champlain into NY. Can't get the laptop to connect to WiFi so can't put the camera pictures up. Today's ride consisted of mostly farmland spotted with small towns through Vermont and NY. There was a bit of traffic through Montpelier and Burlington. The Burlington ferry was not running so had to go to the Grand Isle and get that. Some secondary roads took me through a the uppermost part of NY before dumping me into Canada. I have landed in Brookville Ontario. I complimented the Canadians I've met oh how good their English is. Told them it's better than some people in the states.
I got a little over 400 miles tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.