Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Grapejuice

Default A insurance?

I used the search function and didn't come up anything, so pardon me if this has been covered a time or five.

I have two Model A's that I drive frequently and I was wondering what everyone does for insurance? Currently I have them covered by the same company as my moderns, but the cost is relatively high. I have replacement cost policies on both and spend around $1,200 per year combined.
When I got my first A, I called one of the antique insurance companies and got a little upset with their restrictions, so I went with conventional insurance.
Are there any antique insurance companies that allow you to drive your A as much as you like, anywhere you like?

Thanks!!

EDIT: I have since gone with Grundy, so no need to reply on my account.

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)

Last edited by Grapejuice; 12-29-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: A insurance?

Haggerty, I believe i said 5k mi, no problem. $190 yr
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
CarlG

I pay $100/month to drive, $10/month to park thru Allstate
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Bill Steiner

I get 3,000 mi for $ 130.00 yr. Could get more mi for a little more. Bill
Bill Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Larry Seemann

Hagerty has no restrictions on use as long as you also own a regular use car that is insured elsewhere. ie; a modern car insured by State Farm or some other company. You just have to give Hagerty a copy of the insurance on the other car.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Kevin in NJ

The real question is what do you mean by driving every where?

Putting miles on the A going to shows and crossing the country is really not a problem. If you are planning a long trip then you just call and get permission first. The driving to the local store and going to work that becomes an issue. Enjoying the A is not a problem, it is just the regular everyday use the becomes a problem.

You need to ask what is in writing as far a restrictions. With condon and skelly I used to have to put down the miles driven each year and now they do not care. Some places will tell you once and a while going to work is no problem, but it will be clearly written out that going to work is a no no. They are also kind of loose in the enforcement as it is not always clear cut. Some companies are more restrictive.

Call and talk to each company and ask them what is 'allowed'.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapejuice View Post
I used the search function and didn't come up anything, so pardon me if this has been covered a time or five.

I have two Model A's that I drive frequently and I was wondering what everyone does for insurance? Currently I have them covered by the same company as my moderns, but the cost is relatively high. I have replacement cost policies on both and spend around $1,200 per year combined.
When I got my first A, I called one of the antique insurance companies and got a little upset with their restrictions, so I went with conventional insurance.
Are there any antique insurance companies that allow you to drive your A as much as you like, anywhere you like?

Thanks!!
Have you tried asking your current company if they have a division that will handle antique cars at reasonable rates? I know that the auto club does.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Grapejuice

My current insurance company insures my A's just as they would any other car, but it's a little bit on the expensive side as far as I'm concerned. My '28 Sport Coupe costs $596 per year with a declared replacement cost of $10,000, while my '30 Cabriolet costs $683 with a RCV of $15,000. The beauty of it is; I can drive them anywhere, anytime. There are no restrictions.
When I first got my Sport Coupe I called one of the more popular antique car insurance companies (I wanna say J.C. Taylor?) and they had 100 questions for me about when and where I would be driving my A. They said I could only drive it in parades, or club functions, but I couldn't drive it to the store on an errand. I told them never mind, I'll find another way.
I don't put more than 1,500 miles on either one in a year though, or at least I haven't so far, so that's why I want to find a cheaper rate. But I want to be able to drive it whenever and wherever I choose.
I called AAA for a quote and they don't insure vehicles older than the 1950's.

So, I'll call some of the companies listed in this thread and see what I can come up with.

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
My current insurance company insures my A's just as they would any other car, but it's a little bit on the expensive side as far as I'm concerned. My '28 Sport Coupe costs $596 per year with a declared replacement cost of $10,000, while my '30 Cabriolet costs $683 with a RCV of $15,000. The beauty of it is; I can drive them anywhere, anytime. There are no restrictions.
When I first got my Sport Coupe I called one of the more popular antique car insurance companies (I wanna say J.C. Taylor?) and they had 100 questions for me about when and where I would be driving my A. They said I could only drive it in parades, or club functions, but I couldn't drive it to the store on an errand. I told them never mind, I'll find another way.
I don't put more than 1,500 miles on either one in a year though, or at least I haven't so far, so that's why I want to find a cheaper rate. But I want to be able to drive it whenever and wherever I choose.

So, I'll call some of the companies listed in this thread and see what I can come up with.
Call AAA back. The person you talked to didn't know what they were talking about. They are currently insuring my '32 as a street rod and I an sure they also handle antiques (at least they do in California). They have a special division for the old cars.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Bob from Northport

Try Grundy. I'm paying less than 500.00 per year on two cars.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Gary/IA

You might want to check out www.americancollectors.com

I have found their pricing to be reasonable and their usage policy very liberal.

I have two cars insured with them, one at 22K and one at 14K, plus their best towing pkg ($35 extra). It costs me a total of $310/year.

I sent them a letter requesting a clearer explanation of what they allowed for usage. They replied basically that they just didn't want me using it as an everyday work auto. They wanted to know if I had another auto for everyday usage. I will try to post their reply but don't know how to get it attached in a size that you could read.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
ford1

call sneed, they are very reasonable, all they want is another car for you to drive other than the antique
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
denis4x4

Five cars with Hagerty with a combined agreed value over $100,000 for $834 a year with full coverage. And, the girls in the Hagerty booth at Goodguys in Scottsdale were better looking than the girls in the other insurance booths!
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
mrtexas

IMHO you need to call several insurance companies and describe how you will drive the car before deciding. I didn't like the Haggerty or JC Taylor restrictions so I went with Classic(Consumer's County Mutual) insurance with a limit of 3,000 miles per year. I called several of the most popular companies before settling on that one. Having had that company for less than a year, I had a fender bender with my 63 Corvette a month ago and they paid $5,000 and didn't cancel me.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #15
PC/SR

I use Hagerty because it has restrictions I could live with, but all the specialty insurers have restrictions in the fine print, mileage, modern car, no speed events or hillclimbs, etc. Regular insurance does not have the restricions. When I go to a hillclimb, I add the A to my regular insurance then take it off after the meet. Pay for the additional car for a month then get a refund for the rest.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:

This is not what you want to hear but if you are going to drive it like an everyday car you are going to have to insure it like an everyday car.

If you are going to take it out for a joy ride, car event, promote the hobby, and the like, then you get classic/antique car insurance.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #17
Patrick L.

I also use American Collectors.. I was going to look around for some others, I thought $148/yr was getting a little high but I guess maybe its not..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
I use Hagerty because it has restrictions I could live with, but all the specialty insurers have restrictions in the fine print, mileage, modern car, no speed events or hillclimbs, etc. Regular insurance does not have the restricions. When I go to a hillclimb, I add the A to my regular insurance then take it off after the meet. Pay for the additional car for a month then get a refund for the rest.

Does your regular insurance permit timed events like hill climbs?

My "Regular Insurance" excludes these events, too.
Specifically,
"Race, speed contest, or speed test includes, but is not limited to:"
"A competition against other people, vehicles, or time"..
or
"Any activity that challenges the speed or handling .... " et al

I'll bet Your "Regular Insurance" mirrors your Hagerty Policy too.
Imagine being covered for collision at a Demo Derby?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #19
PC/SR

Bruce: I have Allstate and have not found any such restriction in teh policy, and it was teh Agent who suggested this. However, I will check again. My Hagerty policy has that exclusion.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
Hotrodladycrusr

I switched from Hagerty to Grundy many, many years ago and could not be happier. I've put over 114,000 miles on my car in the last 8 summers. I also have a daily driver. Grundy knows I put an unusally high amount of miles on my car because I drive to alot of out of state car events. They still insure me as they do not have a mileage restriction.

Know your policy, no matter who you've got it with AND know the difference between Stated value (which is a daily driver policy) and an Agreed Value policy (which your classic car need to have to be fully covered with no hassles)

Becky at Grundy is a member on the HAMB and a place where the top of insurance comes up at least once a month. Becky posted the following on the HAMB so I thought I'd cut and paste it here. I do not work for Grundy just a satisfied customer.

Hey all!!! Good to see our name popping up in today's conversation!! I am going to post an article I just wrote this month re: shopping insurance. One thing I do want to point out is that ALL of our policies include UNLIMITED MILEAGE - we do NOT have mileage restrictions. And, as Denise mentioned, our policies are Agreed Value. And yes, your car is covered for the amount we agree is the value of the vehicle. Period. Please see below:

What to Look for when You Shop for Collector Car Insurance
Tips from Grundy Worldwide

By: Becky McLaughlin

Collector car owners can be found across this country; in fact, they are all over this world. Since members of the Grundy family and their friends started restoring and preserving old cars many years ago, outside of Philadelphia, the hobby has boomed in popularity and participation; and, it constantly evolves and grows. Today, there are “car guys” of all kinds: from the antique car owners who cherish the history and preservation of their cars to the muscle car and hot rod owners who divulge in nostalgia… and, from the low-riders of Southern California and the tattooed crowd that partakes in the “Kustom Kulture” scene… to the luxury car owners who attend Concours events. As diverse as these folks may be, they all have one thing in common: they love old cars.

While possessing such love and passion for old cars, it seems natural that car guys would seek out special insurance to protect their most valued possessions. During the search for insurance for a specialty vehicle, there are a few things we at Grundy Worldwide would advise car collectors to consider. We have compiled the following list to help you shop for collector vehicle insurance. We, of course, urge you to insure with us!

• Agreed Value Insurance
  • What’s Covered
  • Superior Claims Service
  • Company Reputation
  • Customer Service
  • Usage, Storage and Mileage Restrictions
  • Price
Agreed Value Insurance
When insuring your collector vehicle, it is critical that you seek out “Agreed Value” coverage. Over 60 years ago, James Grundy, Sr. invented the idea of Agreed Value insurance, and it has worked ever since. With Agreed Value insurance, you, the customer, and we, the insurance company, agree on the value of your collector car. In case of a total loss, you will receive that amount—it’s that simple.

A handful of other companies have picked up on the Agreed Value idea; yet, there are still many companies offering policies that sound similar to Agreed Value, but they are actually very different. Beware! We would not suggest insuring a collector car with a Stated Value or Actual Cash Value policy.

While the names of the policies may sound similar, there is a huge difference between our Agreed Value policy and a Stated Value policy. Some people (including insurance agents) mistake Stated Value for Agreed Value— that’s a big mistake. Stated Amount forms say that the insurance company will pay the lesser of: a) The Stated Amount, b) the cost to repair the vehicle that doesn’t exceed the Stated Amount or c) the “Actual Cash Value.” And, with that third statement, a claims adjuster is allowed to settle your claim for LESS than the Stated Amount.

Actual Cash Value refers to the cost to replace the vehicle with new property of like kind and quality, less depreciation— the “fair market value.” If you look up the “fair market value” for your collector car, you will understand why you do not want to insure your car with such a policy; you will receive close to nothing. If you buy a Stated Value or Actual Cash Value policy and experience a total loss or have your car stolen, you will learn the hard way that your car is not properly covered. Why take that risk?

Grundy Worldwide understands that collector vehicles do not depreciate in value, over time; we know that the values of these cars typically increase. Our Agreed Value policies account for the true values of collector vehicles.

What’s Covered
At Grundy Worldwide, we are confident that we will offer you the most coverage for your collector vehicle. Our policies include coverage for liability, comprehensive and collision, and loads of “bells and whistles” features that few others can offer you.

Liability coverage is the foundation of any auto insurance policy; and, you want to make sure that you have enough coverage. This coverage protects you from accident-related lawsuits and the burdens of repair and replacement costs. If you are at fault in an accident, your liability coverage will pay for the bodily injury and property damage expenses caused to others; property damage coverage pays for the repair or replacement of property (that is not yours) that you damage. Our policies include Medical Payments, P.I.P., No Fault and Uninsured Motorist Coverage, as required. Coverage and limits vary by state.

Our policies also cover physical damage to your vehicle— “comp and collision.” And, in most states, Grundy’s insurance also includes some essential add-ons that make our coverage tailored to the car collector like no other insurance policy. This extra coverage includes: towing and labor expenses up to $250 each occurrence; auto show medical reimbursement, $5,000 each person, up to $10,000; spare parts coverage, up to $500; trip interruption coverage, up to $600 reimbursement for transportation expenses, lodging and/or meals in the event of a collision or mechanical or electrical breakdown; and, inflation guard, with an annual increase of 4 percent each year.