Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
frnkeore

Default 286 Dyno Results

First this isn't my engine. I stumbled across it yesterday.

Since there are very few dyno results for these engines, I thought I would post this to show what even a high end build might produce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 286 Dyno.jpg (52.7 KB, 260 views)
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline

Last edited by frnkeore; 08-20-2021 at 02:26 PM.
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: 286 Dyno Results

It would be nice to see the engine pulled to 6500 but considering the Chinese crank and rods it may not hold together.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
rockfla

Ronnieroadster

Question from a complete Flathead High Performance dunce......Given the build specifications and the numbers of the above listed pull......Wouldn't a 6500 pull continue to show a drop in both HP and torque numbers????? OR torque at least????

I can understand maybe building more HP to a point but even at some point wouldn't that start to fall as well torque?
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Ronnieroadster

Question from a complete Flathead High Performance dunce......Given the build specifications and the numbers of the above listed pull......Wouldn't a 6500 pull continue to show a drop in both HP and torque numbers????? OR torque at least????

I can understand maybe building more HP to a point but even at some point wouldn't that start to fall as well torque?

The torque will continue to fall that's to be expected. But looking at the results the Horsepower is still climbing where it begins to fall off at this point is unknown. I would guess in the area of 5200 but we may never know. Seeing the results at 199 HP tells me there would be the potential for over 200 HP which would be extremely good for the builds combination. Torque helps get the mass underway but the horsepower as well as RPM is what gives the speed.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
Ol' Ron

This is an excellent power output for a flathead. would be nice to know what modifications were made to it. Hard to get that much air into a normally asperated flathead.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

And then there is the classic question of "On whose dyno?". There are quite a few engine dyno results that are a bit "optimistic" as far as the numbers output. This is particularly true when the dyno belongs to the shop that built the engine.

Some of this is due to the fact that a customer never complains that the "HP is TOO darn high!" - bigger numbers make customers happy. LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
frnkeore

This was a high end build, with bigger valves and nice port work. It was also relieved but, I don't think that does much but, reduce compression and compression is very hard to get!!

I've only seen one flow bench result for port work, on these engines and that gave a intake flow of 150 cfm. Not much but, should be good for up to 225 hp. 150 cfm can get you 300 hp on a OHV engine.

I didn't care for the LSA & ICL on the cam. I think 111-110 would have been better with the ICL at 108-107 or so.

I would have really like to have seen it with a 400 Jr cam, with 244° @ .050.

The other thing is, that I think it was over carbed, with those three, 200 cfm carbs. Has anyone used those 98 Demon carbs? They are a very modern carb, they look like a side hung Holley bowl on a very modern 2 bbl body. I'd never seen them before.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 08-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
frnkeore

Speaking of cams and compression, how many are aware of the Dynamic Compression Ratio (DCR)?

It is the actual compression that the engine sees, when the intake valve closes, on the compression stroke. The intake valve center line (ICL) plays a key roll in that.

To give you a idea of what that can do for compression, I did some calculations.

Cam in the above engine, has a intake valve closing of 67° after BDC and if it had a CR of 8.52, it would have a DCR of 6.69

If we swapped out that cam, for the 400 JR and it's 60° intake valve close ABDC and with the same CR, it would have a DCR of 7.05, set straight up and if it was advanced 3° to 57° ABDC, it would increase to 7.19, gaining .5 DCR over the dyno cam.

That is one of the ways that you can pick up HP, with a low reving engine.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 08-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #9
JWL
Member Emeritus

I agree the LSA is much too wide for maximum, unblown, power but would probably work well with a blower. The wot vacuum is not listed which would help determine carb sizing issues but I do not believe that is a problem. There is an over rich condition throughout that pull which likely aided the lower speed torque but hindered at higher revs especially above 3500. Still, those power numbers are very good. And, as has already been explained, it sorta depends on which dyno and which correction factors.

A intake port flow of 150 CFM@28" and at .400 lift is a very well done port.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #10
Frank Miller

I have never seen dynamic compression discussed here but it does play a big part in being able to run cams with a lot of overlap by upping the compression. As you said compression is hard to come by in a flathead but it is a big factor in an overhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
Speaking of cams and compression, how many are aware of the Dynamic Compression Ratio (DCR)?

It is the actual compression that the engine sees, when the intake valve closes, on the compression stroke. The intake valve center line (ICL) plays a key roll in that.

To give you a idea of what that can do for compression, I did some calculations.

Cam in the above engine, has a intake valve closing of 67° after BDC and if it had a CR of 8.52, it would have a DCR of 6.69

If we swapped out that cam, for the 400 JR and it's 60° intake valve close ABDC and with the same CR, it would have a DCR of 7.05, set straight up and if it was advanced 3° to 57° ABDC, it would increase to 7.19, gaining .5 DCR over the dyno cam.

That is one of the ways that you can pick up HP, with a low reving engine.