Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
Dick Deegan

Default Front Seat Difference 29 to 30

I have an opportunity to purchase what looks to be a very nice 1930 Town Sedan. The car is a long drive from where I live and I am concerned about the clearance between the seat and the steering wheel. I am a big boy. I have a good friend who has a '29 Town Sedan and I tried it today to see if I could fit. There was not enough room for me to get in and comfortably manage the steering wheel.

Is the 1930 Town Sedan going to be about the same, clearance wise as the 1929 Town Sedan for the distance between the steering wheel and the driver? Or am I screwed?

Is there a difference between the Town Sedan front door width and the coupe front door width? Anyone have any dimensions?
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Barry B./ Ma.

Default Re: Front Seat Difference 29 to 30

The 30 town sedan cowl is a couple of inches wider than the 29 coupe although the 29 fordor is wider than the 29 tudor by a little. The roomiest front in my opinion is the 30/31 tudor.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

In my humble opinion:

1. If you really want that nice Town Sedan, as you can already see, Model As & Model T's have cramped interiors when compared to today's modern car standards.

A. Maybe consider discussing same with others & getting estimates for providing one or more interior dimensional alterations.

B. In not knowing "where" dimensions have to be altered, maybe consider talking to different folks about:

a. Maybe a smaller steering wheel; and/or,

b. Maybe altering the seat frame to move the front seat back towards the rear; and/or,

c. Maybe an entirely new, or altered custom front seat, with lower seat springs and a slimmer backrest.

C. This maneuverability project can sometimes be a real challenge; however, don't despair & give up .............. others Forum members may be able to assist & chime in with a few suggestions .......

Just hope this helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I'm a big guy and I can get into and drive my '30 town sedan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30-31-town-sedan.jpg (63.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 28-29-town-sedan.jpg (59.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
davehc

Dick , I'm 6'4" and I modified the seat track in my 30 Town Sedan , and moved it back three inches and works fine , still plenty of room in the rear . I also modified a shifter by putting a dog leg in in for extra clearance for the knees .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #6
Terry, NJ

The wooden seat frame is modifiable by drilling eight new holes (Four per side) But you will need a counterbore for front two nuts IIRC. Note I said "Counterbore", not Countersink. A Countersink is for tapered/beveled screws. A Counterbore is for getting some material out of the way so you can set the nuts below the surface. Take the seat out and you will see what I'm talking about immediately. Good luck with it.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

I have a 1930 Briggs Town Sedan with an unaltered front seat.

When the front seat is adjusted all of the way to the rear, appears there is "extra" longitudinal, (front to rear), floor board space and "foot room" for rear passengers.

Appears that altering wood and/or metal seat components and moving the front seat more reward would not create rear passenger seating feet discomfort ....... that is ....... not to be facetious; but, unless the rear seat passengers were wearing longer snow shoes or scuba diver type foot gear.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote