Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Jim M

Default Brake floater question

I am installing floaters on my 29 Roadster. The instructions say you do not need to put the long top spring back on. What is the consensus of those who have installed them. Do you put them on or leave them off?? Does it hurt if you do put them on?? Don't want to get all done and wheels back on and wish I had put them on. Thanks, Jim
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Brake floater question

The reason that they suggest leaving them off is because they can tout their kit requires less pedal pressure. Have you ever wondered why Ford "wasted" that money manufacturing and installing that spring? Heck the same could be said for many bolts & fasteners that some mechanics do not put back when they are working on a Model-A.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
sphanna

I had my right front brake occasionaly not fully release. I replaced the spring and fixed this problem. I also emailed Ted to get his advise. I could not make sense of his reason to remove it so I removed it anyway. Now I have right one on and left one off. Can sense no difference in pedal force, but no more brake release problem.

Last edited by sphanna; 06-23-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
sphanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
Dick Deegan

I followed Ted's instructions and didn't reinstall them. I have put many miles on the car and have had a couple of issues of brakes not releasing, but nothing in the immediate past. Brakes seem to work fine with very little pedal pressure.
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
Del in NE Ohio

Been running FHT floaters in my '29 155-A for over five years. Not running upper springs and it still stops wonderfully. Several installs I have seen that had shoes "hanging up" had over-looked that fact that that the brake shoe arms must freely move in and out of adjustment wedge housing.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
PepeLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
I am installing floaters on my 29 Roadster. The instructions say you do not need to put the long top spring back on. What is the consensus of those who have installed them. Do you put them on or leave them off?? Does it hurt if you do put them on?? Don't want to get all done and wheels back on and wish I had put them on. Thanks, Jim

I stalled mine both ways, and pushed the brake shoes forward and backward; as they should move freely. What I noticed with the upper spring on was that how much more difficult it was to move the shoes forward or backward. Just an observation, not very scientific.
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
Tom Endy

I have had Flathead's floaters in my Victoria since before 2008 when I met Flathead at the MAFCA meet in Dallas. Flathead a great guy and a delight to talk to. You have to pay close attention when he speaks because he talks a different Kings English. However, he knows what he is doing, and if he says leave the top springs off with his kits, that is the thing to do. That is what I did and they work great.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #8
Allanw

Dad spoke to Ted at the local club, after we had issues with the front left sticking on.

After adjusting the brakes a little differently, it didn't happen again, however, Dad has sisnce put the top springs back on anyway. I think we may have had the brakes too tight at the start.

The top springs don't seem to make any difference, and certainly didn't appear to increase the pedal pressure - The bottoms might, but they're kinda required anyway.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:02 AM   #9
Henry1953

The brakes won't self activate with that spring in place according to the instructions thereby making the brakes less effective. Mine work perfectly without the spring.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote