Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Maclab58

Default speedometer not working

I need to ck the speedmeter gear on the bottom of the transmission when I unbolt this is it going to dump all of my tranny oil out? i just want to be prepared.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Aerocraft

Default Re: speedometer not working

No, it is not a part of the transmission. You probably will find it soaked in grease and oil but it will not drain the transmission. The drive gear assembly is attached to the drive shaft housing. Gar Williams

Last edited by Aerocraft; 11-03-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
rob mcdonald

Just be sure to keep the dirt out and save the gasket or enough for a pattern if you don't have a new gasket. What are you looking to find?
rob mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
cardoza

Maclab58, I need to work on mine, it is not working either, please keep us posted with the progress on this thread
I will follow the previously given advice by Rob and the comment by Gar thanks guys!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Ron/IA

Since the speedometer is not working, the first thing to look at is the cable running from the gear up to the speedometer. More times than not, the cable is twisted in two. And that is more times than not caused by the speedometer locking up. You can check the cable by unscrewing the cable from the gear housing, and pulling the cable out. If it comes out in one piece, then my guess was wrong. But if it comes out short, then my guess was right.

I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but this comes from my personal experience. 80-year old speedometers with 80-year old grease have a tendency to just stop.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Mine stopped working a while back (speedo rebuilt late 80's, 615 mi), pulled the cable, looked good, lubed and reinstalled, worked for about 3/4 mi. Someone here suggested the speedo end may have been rounded off slightly and coming out of recepticle, replaced w whole assy from snyder's, problem fixed. CAUTION: DISCONNECT battery if working on speedo w/dash panel loose/removed.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Bill H.

I found that the cable was about an eighth of an inch too short on the speedo end. Solution? Add one more grommet onto the cable under the one already there. This will make sure the cable will enter the speedo head far enough. That solved my problem.
Bill H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

Thanks for getting back to us
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Model A Man

on mine someone suggested putting a small piece of toothpick in the hole first then the cable. I did and it worked and has been working for 7 years now. I was told something to the effect that the cable end was going in to far passing the square part. I don't know if this is true but it worked for me
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
rob mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
on mine someone suggested putting a small piece of toothpick in the hole first then the cable. I did and it worked and has been working for 7 years now. I was told something to the effect that the cable end was going in to far passing the square part. I don't know if this is true but it worked for me
Yes I had the same problem but used a >3/16 long piece of brad nail. This has worked for 9+ years. For folks new to these problems, 1928-29 with the oval speedometer originally had an offset blade on the transmission end small gear shaft. 30-31 with round speedo originally had a square on the transmission end gear shaft. The top ends of both speedos has the square end cable with an attached washer to control the inside cable from slipping out of the square tail in the speedometer shaft. Some times the bottom drive shaft on 28-29 is changed over to the square 30-31 and works fine. I have seen the bottom square gear shaft constucted both broached square and staked square while heated. I do not know which may be original. The inside cable musted be match in length to the outer cable. Buying the inside cable only will likely lead to being to short or to long. I have two cables that are 5'' different in length. The speedometer end square shaft is a match for a #1 square end screw driver bit. You can check your speedometer with a low speed battery power drill counterclockwise. Another though, do not pinch the cable where it is attached to the frame. If the speedometer readout is not steady and bounces lub the cable and check for binding. I suggest using only a graphite lube. You will find it at NAPA or from you favorite Model A supplier for about $3.
Sorry to rabble on but hope this helps.
rob mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote