Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
blucar

Default Tires... Radial vs bias

I'm in the process of freshening my '36 up. Tires were on the list because the tires on "Henry" are over 25 years old.
I love radial tires, have been using them on everything except the '36 for the past 30 + years. I have talked to Coker Tire on several occasions during the past two years, I finally pulled the trigger on Thursday.
"Henry" has always had white sidewalls on it, it had white walls when I bought the car in '52.
I decided to go with Coker's Classic, 16" Bias Profile Radial 600R16 3" WW with 16" tubes..
My timing was perfect, The 600R16 tires have been on back order for seven months, they recently got 100 tires in, on Thursday they only had 14 tires left.
Coker has a sale going on through the end of September so I got a pretty good deal on the set of 4 tires..
Old 09-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Tires... Radial vs bias

Good to know and thanks for posting.

I don't know of anyone who switched over to radials for their antique car that was unhappy about the decision Let us know how they ride and handle for your '36. Neat thing today is they make a radial that looks a lot like an original bias ply tire.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Joe Immler

I had radials installed on my '41 Coupe and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! The car is now much more fun to drive and enjoy.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
RalphG

Only complaint I have on radials on the 52 Merc is that they seem to be harder riding. Seems like I feel every pebble on the road. Even with the pressure down in the 20s and new shocks all around. I don't recall the old bias plies riding that hard when I was a kid riding in the back seat in the 1960s but maybe my memory is faulty or I"ve been spoiled by the ride in my "cowboy Cadillac" GM pickup. Otherwise the Merc handles great with radial tires.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
RKS.PA

Bill, I have exactly those tires on my '47 and I love them. I was, however, able to use them without tubes and that's also worked very well for me. Extremely pleased with how they handle vs. the original bias tires....marked difference.

BTW, there is/was just a series of posts on Diamond Backs....unrelated, that term has a special significance here in AZ!!....seems like another alternative for Cokers....maybe next time.

Best of luck with yours!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
WABOOM

The set of Coker Classic's are the only components that are not factory correct on my '51 Mercury. Radials made the car so much more drivable. No regrets.
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Only complaint I have on radials on the 52 Merc is that they seem to be harder riding. Seems like I feel every pebble on the road. Even with the pressure down in the 20s and new shocks all around. I don't recall the old bias plies riding that hard when I was a kid riding in the back seat in the 1960s but maybe my memory is faulty or I"ve been spoiled by the ride in my "cowboy Cadillac" GM pickup. Otherwise the Merc handles great with radial tires.

You are playing a very dangerous game if you under-inflate your radial tires down to 20#... Radial tires are high pressure tires and should be inflated to 32-34 lbs. Under-inflated tires will cause sidewall and early tread wear/failure.

Under-inflated tires is what caused the serious accidents in the '90's on many Ford SUV's with Firestone tires.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
You are playing a very dangerous game if you under-inflate your radial tires down to 20#... Radial tires are high pressure tires and should be inflated to 32-34 lbs. Under-inflated tires will cause sidewall and early tread wear/failure.

Under-inflated tires is what caused the serious accidents in the '90's on many Ford SUV's with Firestone tires.
I just tried it for a test. Normally I'll run them up around 30.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
A bones

Quote:
My two cents, radials need at least 32-35 lbs.
I would definitely look elsewhere if low pressure gave a rough ride.
Ah 3 cents, I am aware that you drive nice and easy. You still will shorten the wear life with under inflation.
Final thought for Ralph ( not sure if your area has any rumble strips or zipper strips ) I have found that the slower speed amplifies the vibrations and jarring shocks to the suspension. ( Try a slow roll on these modern driving aids ) Dad did not mess around when he had someplace to be.

oops hijack
Old 09-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #10
RKS.PA

According to the sidewall of my Cokers, the max load is 1520 lbs at 41psi. Not sure if 41 psi is the recommended pressure, but I try to keep mine around there. The '47 has pretty soft suspension, so don't experience any harshness in the ride.

I remember Ford's problems with the Explorers and the roll-overs!!

Ralph, your Sask., "ride comfort measuring device" and my AZ one, have gotten more sensitive with wear!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
Joe Immler

When I purchased the radials for my '41 I asked Coker for the tire pressure. They said that mine should also be inflated to 41 psi.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #12
drolston

Quote:

Running radial tires on my '41 with 15" rims and no tubes. Put tire pressure sensors on the valve stems. I just plug the display sensor into the cigarette lighter socket when I want to check pressures. In about a minute of driving, I get a read out. = Peace of mind.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #13
Blindhuckster

I bought a set of Coker's Classic, 16" Bias Profile Radial 600R16 3" WW with 16" tubes.. for my stock 37 Ford deluxe coupe about a year ago. Not cheap at about $1200.00 but the improvement in ride quality and handling was worth the money. Also made this old car cruise down the road quiet solitude.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1090 (1).jpg (17.7 KB, 33 views)
Blindhuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #14
fordscript

Wow,your 37 coupe looks magnificent.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote