Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
Colin583

Default Bendix Brakes Question

Hi Everyone,
I am brand new to the form so please forgive me if I do anything wrong!

My grandpa owns a 1930 Model A roadster that both he and I enjoy working on and driving! When he restored the car in the early 60's, he upgraded it to hydraulic brakes, however, recently the brakes have become pretty poor and we were just wondering if anyone had converted their Model A to Lincoln style Bendix brakes with the MT Car Products kit? ( either just the front or all four)

Thanks,
Colin
Colin583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Bendix Brakes Question

Bendix brakes will definitely work better than the Ford fixed anchor hydraulic brakes.

Several members of our local club have replaced the Ford 39-48 brakes with the Lincolns on the front only and they are very satisfied.

Converting to hydraulic using 39-48 Ford brakes is not much better than good working original Model A mechanical brakes.

The reason a lot of people converted to hydraulic in the "Old Days" was that most people had worn out mechanical brakes and they would not put in the work to fix them correctly.

My opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

It might be interesting to explore what is wrong with your existing brakes and what it would cost to fix them. When you get the complete cost of the Lincoln brakes you will have a number to compare. The Lincoln brakes are definitely an improvement but I can never say I have been unhappy with the '39-''48 brakes. I always thought they were a major improvement over the stock mechanical brakes, my opinion (sure to start a discussion).

You should put your general location in your profile, you can never tell how or when it will pay off.

So to get started, what are your existing brakes and what is wrong with them? Pictures are good.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 04-26-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
ursus

I am curious about this as well because my current 1940 Ford front brakes have leaky and pitted brake cylinders and the cost of replacement Lockheed wheel cylinders is significant compared to the cost of the new MT backing plates complete with Bendix wheel cylinders that are actually designed for the 28-'36 spindles. The 1939-41 Ford backing plates require use of a spacer ring and modification of the mounting holes, which has always seemed slightly marginal to me.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
Colin583

Interesting! Thanks for the info. We are probably going to do the front brakes only to keep the cost down, so it's good to hear some positive reviews!

As for the problems with our current brakes, they are 1947 Ford brakes and the drums have been overcut, we don't think the linings are making good contact, and you can't lock them at all. ( Yes we have tried adjusting them) I think they are just worn out, and we just think we should upgrade from a safety standpoint.

If anyone else has experience with the MT Car Products Bendix Brakes kit, we would love to hear about it!

Thanks,
Colin
Old 04-27-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Why not just replace the drums. A stock Model A is light enough and what you have (w/new drums and PROPERLY adjusted) will be fine. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin583 View Post
Interesting! Thanks for the info. We are probably going to do the front brakes only to keep the cost down, so it's good to hear some positive reviews!

As for the problems with our current brakes, they are 1947 Ford brakes and the drums have been overcut, we don't think the linings are making good contact, and you can't lock them at all. ( Yes we have tried adjusting them) I think they are just worn out, and we just think we should upgrade from a safety standpoint.

If anyone else has experience with the MT Car Products Bendix Brakes kit, we would love to hear about it!

Thanks,
Colin
It sounds like you need to replace the drums (did you have a machine shop measure how far out they are?) and replace the shoes and have them arced to the drums. If you added your general location someone might suggest a shop to arc the shoes and turn the drums. Did you already replace the shoes and not have them arced?

Charlie Stephens
Old 04-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I would return to the original brakes .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
MAG

Agree with Purdy.. Recently bought a Victoria that had so many HD brake problems we went back to mechanicals. They work great. Problem solved
Old 04-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #10
Colin583

1931 flamingo - I asked my grandpa(I personally don't know a lot about this area, but am learning!) about why he didn't want to just get new drums and he said that drum replacement requires that the original hub(the one that holds the bearings) to be pressed into the new drum. He said that this is a special shop procedure and that he likes the better design of the Bendix Brakes more than the original.

Charlie Stephens- I didn't personally do any measurements, but I will ask my grandpa if he did recently. We are both located in Huntington Long Island(I will have to complete my profile evidently) I don't think we put new shoes in it recently, but I will check.

Purdy Swoft/MAG- I think my grandpa is pretty set on upgrading to the Bendix brakes, he thinks they are a much better design and had good results with them on his second hot rod he built back in the 50's. I have no doubt that a good set of original brakes would be decent, but I don't think he would go for that. I will ask though!

Thanks,
Colin
Old 04-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
Jim Brierley

I have run '39 style brakes for some 60 years, and find them a big improvement over stock brakes. Several years ago I put Lincoln brakes on the front axle of my wide-bed, found very little, if any, improvement over the '39 Ford brakes. Lincoln, and the M/T brakes are the same diameter and width as 39-48 Ford brakes, the advantage is the servo action of Bendix brakes, theoretically less pedal pressure is required, but I see very little difference. I use, and recommend, silicone brake fluid (DOT 5). It rejects water, other fluids attract water which results in rusted and frozen cylinders. All the hydraulic's should easily lock up the wheels, Colin583 must have additional problems. Stock brakes MAY BE okay at slower speeds, IF adjusted properly adjusted, not so good at highway speeds and long down-hills.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

There's a large Model A Club on Long Island, they must know of a place that can install the studs and turn the drums. A lot cheaper and then adj the brakes. I have good brakes on my 40, everything original. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Unless there has been further work done the Lincoln brakes also require a special shop procedure to replace the drums. Of course if you buy everything new you won't have the problem.

Charlie Stephens