Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
bmwillia

Default Cooling system help needed

After 8 long years, I finally have my grandfather's coupe back on the road.

Drove around a little Thursday afternoon staying around 40-45mph and towards the end of my trip, a little coolant sprayed out of the top of the radiator. It was on a downshift and I chalked it up to that since the temp gauge was reading around 170.

Friday afternoon, Checked Coolant and I drove around some more and decided to push it a little. I didn't have my mufflers on yet so I was running open headers. Got it up close to 60mph and decided that was fast enough and let her coast down. Temp still in the 170 range and coolant really spewed out of the cap. Took a look at the cap (Greyhound repro) and the gaskets were pretty worn so I went to the autocrats store and got a new gasket. It improved things a little but I found that the ears of the cap were corroded to the point that they are not able to grab the ring of the radiator hole and pull the cap down tight.

Saturday after refilling the Radiator, it took about a gallon of coolant, I drove around all day. put about 60 miles on the car with no issues from the radiator. just a few very small spritzes of coolant a couple of times throughout the day and I chalked it up to the loose cap. Throughout the day I checked the temp gauge and the engine block with a laser and they matched up with the block temp reading about 10deg cooler as one would expect.

Sunday, a few more drives with no issues.

Today, I took it to the muffler shop first thing this morning, got the exhaust put on and picked it up about 2:30. The Muffler shop is on a main highway so I pushed it pretty hard on acceleration and cruised at around 50mph most of the way home, about 5 miles. No Issues.

This evening I got in it to drive a little and test out the lights. Drove about the same as I did this afternoon although I did not accelerate as hard. Hit a little over 50mph for a couple of miles on straight good road and came to a 4 way stop. Took a right and about 1/4 mile after taking off coolant began pouring out of the top of the radiator. The temp gauge was around 160. Started heading home and coolant continued to puke out of the radiator occasionally even as I babied it as much as I could. No steam, and the coolant that made it through the cowl even onto my leg was not hot enough to burn me. The car did not run hot until the last half mile when enough coolant had poured from the radiator and only then did I see steam.

What would cause my cooling system to puke coolant under load when the car is not hot?

I guess I have not ruled our overheating, but my measuring tools suggest that is not the case.

As a matter of fact, it happened one time within the first 1/4 mile after leaving my subdivision and accelerating hard.

I have ordered a rebuild kit for the greyhound cap. That is my starting point but other than that, Not sure where to look.

Thanks!