Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
Jlpete98

Default Front wheel wobble

Noticed about 30 mph the car would “shimmy” back and forth occasionally. Went home and inspected the front end- all looks fine. When I jacked up the front end- the passenger front wheel could be “rocked” back and forth. Drivers side was pretty solid. I assume this is causing the wobble. Was going to check torque on axle nut but am having trouble finding a spec for the front. Lug nuts were all very tight😀
Jlpete98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
RonC

Default Re: Front wheel wobble

This is how Ford specified wheel bearing adjustment in the Jan and April 1928 Service Bulletins

Adjusting Front Wheel Bearing

If there is excessive play in the bearing it can be adjusted as follows: Remove wheel. Withdraw cotter key and tighten adjusting nut until the hub just starts to bind. Then back off the adjusting nut one or two notches until the hub can be freely revolved. Before replacing the wheel, be sure to insert cotter key in adjusting nut.

Important Information on Front Wheel Bearing Adjustment

1. See that front hub, inner and outer bearings are packed with grease.

2. Front hub grease retainer and lock washer should slide over threads on spindle body with fingers (loose fit).

3. Install nut, tighten same so that all component parts are pulled together snugly; that is, inner and outer bearings will be snug in cones, lock washer tight against roller bearing, and nut tight against lock washer. Grasp drum at top and bottom, apply side strain; see that bearings are tight in wheel hub with no side play. (A slight drag will be noticeable when drum is turned.) Not over eight or ten pounds' pressure is required on speed wrench to get these results.

4. Turn nut back two castle slots (this is approximately 1/4 turn of nut); insert cotter pin and try bearings for a slight side play and a free spinning wheel.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
kenparker0703

Front wheel wobble can be a multitude of things.
1. is the wheel bearing play. Addressed by RonC in above post.
2. Check for King Pin looseness.
3. Check that the front spring U bolts are tight. Hold spring to front crossmember
4. Are tie rod ends and Drag Link tight to pitman arm and steering arms.

5. Check the tight or loose of the Wishbone ball. It should have NO side movement.
6, Pitman Arm tight on Sector Shaft.
Keep us posted on waht you find. ken
kenparker0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
Purdy Swoft

Check the toe in . the toe in should be 1/16th .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
Jlpete98

Thanks for the quick replies. I’ll check those things out this week!
Jlpete98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
katy

Quote:
2. Front hub grease retainer and lock washer should slide over threads on spindle body with fingers (loose fit).
Lock washer? It's a special flat washer, Ford called it a "Front hub grease retainer washer" P/N A-1195-A
Old 10-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

I think what you experienced was "Death Wobble". A loose wheel can definitely be one of the many causes of Death wobble. This is a starting point. Pull the wheel as others have said, clean out the bearings, regrease and replace. My method is to tighten the nut with a wrench, back off till loose, then finger tighten till the cotter pin holes line up. Now test it, does it still wobble? Check the toe in, it should be 1/16. Check the ball steering connections. These all start off as 1.000" round balls, sadly, due to a lack of proper grease , they get way out of round and can cause wobble. Well you have plenty to work with!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

Follow Terry's advice, DON'T loosen the nut more than 1 castellation! Tapered roller bearings are meant to run under a slight pre-load. The pre-load happens when the hub heats up and expands while driving, so don't over tighten, but no looseness either. I set mine using water-pump pliers, tighten firmly (not jack-the-bear-tight) while spinning the wheel, and back off to the first hole. No need to fill the cavity between the bearings with grease either, it doesn't flow out to the bearings when driving. Pack the bearings so they bearing are completely filled with grease, put a dab on the outside of the bearing, and adjust.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
oldbird55

Coker tires
oldbird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:38 AM   #10
Bruce of MN

My car had the rubber ball modification on the front wishbone and it had rotted. I put on new stock parts and the wobble went away. Check yours.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote