Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Y-Blockhead

Default Continued Decussion on Murray Damper

I felt I hi-Jacked Jim M's thread on his tool box https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278696 so I am moving the Murray Harmonic Balancer/Vibration Damper discussion to here. [/url]

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-31-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Continued Decussion on Murray Damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
I really looked into installing a Murray balancer with my new engine.

Decided against it when he told me the engine needed to be lifted just to change a belt. Or go with one of he belts that yblock shows in his photo.

It makes sense to install them, just not the issues associated with them.
old31, I found after installing the Murray Balancer that you do not have to lift the engine to install a belt. You do need to remove the front spring u-bolts tho.

Just a thought, how many times have you had to change your fan belt?
Old 03-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Yesterday I finally decided to install the Vibration Damper I got from Murray Horn in New Zealand that has been sitting on the shelf from about this time since last year.

Since it is thicker (and heavier) than the stock one I had to remove the radiator and all the fixin' so I could jack up the engine high enough to clear the front cross member. I had to remove the front spring u-bolt to get more clearance. Damper went on smoothly but I found the crank bushing broken so now I am waiting for one from Snyder's... Always something. I'll add a picture when I go outside this morning.

Maybe we could all share a project we are doing to take our minds "to a better place".

Stay safe everyone!

Old 03-31-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
katy

Looks good, that segmented belt is a good idea.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Pete

A simple test to tell if a torsional damper is working, is the touch test. It will be warm after 10 to 15 minutes of driving at varying speeds. If it is stone cold, you probably don't need it.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:47 PM   #6
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Put one of murrays on my car..can feed a B width belt sideways to install.Bronze cam gear chatter minimized.Logic says reducing harmonic vibration should help extend main bearing life with a dynamically balanced crankshaft..time will tell.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:12 AM   #7
Synchro909

Y-Blockhead, You are correct, it is MURRAY Horn.
I have had one of those on one of my cars for quite a while now and I think it certainly does smooth things out some. BTW, I can remove and fit a belt without either raising the front of the engine or removing the U bolts but it is tight.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:23 AM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Put one of murrays on my car..can feed a B width belt sideways to install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
BTW, I can remove and fit a belt without either raising the front of the engine or removing the U bolts but it is tight.
Thanks guys. That is really good to know. I was told that you could not get the belt on. That is why I invested in the segmented belt. As you can see in the picture, I don't have any u-bolts installed yet, so I can not try it out.

My plan was to put it together with a standard 44" belt and carry the segmented belt with me 'just in case'. Then I heard a lot of good things about the segmented belt, and since I had two, I thought I would just go ahead and run the segmented one from the start.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 04-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Thanks guys. That is really good to know. I was told that you could not get the belt on. That is why I invested in the segmented belt. As you can see in the picture, I don't have any u-bolts installed yet, so I can not try it out.

My plan was to put it together with a standard 44" belt and carry the segmented belt with me 'just in case'. Then I heard a lot of good things about the segmented belt, and since I had two, I thought I would just go ahead and run the segmented one from the start.

Decisions, decisions...
I'd keep a segmented belt as your spare. If you were to break a belt (unlikely unless you do LOTS of miles), you will be able to easily fit the segmented one. You may not get the solid one on, especially if you have the original solid rear engine mounts. Best of both world!
Old 04-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
I'd keep a segmented belt as your spare. If you were to break a belt (unlikely unless you do LOTS of miles), you will be able to easily fit the segmented one. You may not get the solid one on, especially if you have the original solid rear engine mounts. Best of both world!
Synchro, I agree with you 100%. I tried today and there is no way I will be able to get the solid belt on with the front spring u-bolts installed.

But the thing is, the segmented belt came in an 8' length so I have enough to make two 44" belts! One on the engine, which will probably never need replacing, and one spare. I bought the 8' length because it was actually cheaper than buying it by the foot @ $24 a foot.

I think I will try it "just because".

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-01-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #11
Synchro909

Y,
From your comment above, I assume you have the original solid rear engine mounts. I have Flota mota mounts and original yolk type front mount. That give e a little room for the engine to move backwards a tiny amount. I think it is just enough to force the belt past the pulley.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Y,
From your comment above, I assume you have the original solid rear engine mounts. I have Flota mota mounts and original yolk type front mount. That give e a little room for the engine to move backwards a tiny amount. I think it is just enough to force the belt past the pulley.
I do have 'Flota mota mounts' rear mounts stock front mount. I could not force the belt on even without the radiator installed yet. Maybe I'm a Wuss...
Old 04-02-2020, 12:24 AM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I do have 'Flota mota mounts' rear mounts stock front mount. I could not force the belt on even without the radiator installed yet. Maybe I'm a Wuss...
Ya gotta let the car know who's in charge around here!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:15 AM   #14
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Contact: [email protected],Murray responds a quickly,and paypal is his prefered payment method from the states..shipping is included and fast.

Mr Horn is a pleasant man to do business with and sells a quality product at a fair price.Harmonic vibration in a stock model a crankshaft is real,you only have to look at stock front crankshaft pulley failures to see it.My hope for the dampening effect,along with a 10lb lighter B flywheel is longer bearing life with a stock crankshaft.Some folks way smarter than me estimate up to a .001 crankshaft 'flex'or whipstock at high rpm..my laymans logic says reduce vibration you reduce the whipstock of the crankshaft.I have no empirical data to back that up.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #15
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Put one of murrays on my car. Can feed a B width belt sideways to install. Bronze cam gear chatter minimized. Logic says reducing harmonic vibration should help extend main bearing life with a dynamically balanced crankshaft.. time will tell.
Quote:
I have had one of those on one of my cars for quite a while now and I think it certainly does smooth things out some. BTW, I can remove and fit a belt without either raising the front of the engine or removing the U bolts but it is tight.
Finished up on the Harmonic Balancer installation and took the Ol' Girl for a ride. I was surprised that the engine did seem to run smoother throughout the RPM range, especially at the higher end. I decided to leave the segmented bely on also. As an added bonus, with the reverse spiral it seemed to cure a slight oil leak I had from the front seal. I think this is one of my better additions to my engine.

Now to go finish up. It is amazing how loud and warm it is when the floor insulation and carpet is not installed.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #16
Ak Sourdough

Some of the reduced vibration might be from that segmented belt. When used on stationary wood working tools (table saw, shaper, jointer, drill press, etc.) they run noticeably smoother.
Good choice to keep it I think.
Ak Sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Sourdough View Post
Some of the reduced vibration might be from that segmented belt. When used on stationary wood working tools (table saw, shaper, jointer, drill press, etc.) they run noticeably smoother.
Good choice to keep it I think.
Thanks Ak. I have two ½" segmented belts on my table saw. I agree the do reduce vibration.