Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #21
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK PKNY View Post
I HAVE BEEN USING MMO SINCE 1960 IN MY OLD FORDS AND SOME OTHER BRANDS ON OCCASION. Works for me never experienced any sticking valves.

I've eaten mashed potatoes twice a week for 42 years . Never had any sticky valves in my cars.

Neither the Marvel Mystery Oil company nor the NTSB that investigated the cause of an airplane crash that they determined was due to the use of MMO, show any Wintergreen Oil in the product...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Oil

The Company's 2015 MSDS says it is composed of...

-Petroleum Distillates (Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic) also known as mineral oil, 60-100%
-Petroleum Distillates (Stoddard Solvent) also known as white spirit, 10-30%
-Tricresyl phosphate, an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants 0.1-1.0%
-Ortho Dichlorobenzene, a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1-1.0%
-Para Dichlorobenzene, a precursor used in the production of chemically and thermally resistant polymers, <0.1%

According to the NTSB, it is composed of...

74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

If it works for you...great. But you might also try eating mashed potatoes instead.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #22
Crankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
... nor the NTSB that investigated the cause of an airplane crash that they determined was due to the use of MMO
Well strictly speaking, what you say is true, if you want to look at it that way. The facts are though they found several empty gallon cans, the mix ratio must have been off the chart. Everyone always brings up that hoary old chestnut as if it has anything to do with the effectiveness or suitability for use by folks who know what they are doing. Its use for freeing or preventing sticky lifters, valves, rings is long known. MSDS isn't always complete btw, especially with proprietary information.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #23
Terry, NJ

From what I've heard about it, the FAA and the NTSB will automatically blame anything not "Stock" on a plane as the culprit in a crash if the pilot lives. If he dies, then it's "pilot error" or worse.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
Well strictly speaking, what you say is true, if you want to look at it that way. The facts are though they found several empty gallon cans, the mix ratio must have been off the chart. Everyone always brings up that hoary old chestnut as if it has anything to do with the effectiveness or suitability for use by folks who know what they are doing. Its use for freeing or preventing sticky lifters, valves, rings is long known. MSDS isn't always complete btw, especially with proprietary information.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #24
Dick Steinkamp

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...02LA181&akey=1

One empty gallon jug of MMO was found. The operator stated that they were adding one quart per fill up of a tank (18 gallon tanks). More than we would generally use, however.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:41 PM   #25
Synchro909

4 oz in a tank!?!?! Give me a % so I can work it out. You guys use something other than what we used to use as a gallon, yet call it a gallon and how much is an ounce? An ounce was always a measure of weight, not volume.
Puzzled.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #26
Tacoma Bob

I just follow the printed instructions on the container. It always reminds me of the leeeetle smoke capsules I put in my American Flyer electric train back in the 50's. LOL
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #27
Crankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
4 oz in a tank!?!?! Give me a % so I can work it out. You guys use something other than what we used to use as a gallon, yet call it a gallon and how much is an ounce? An ounce was always a measure of weight, not volume.
Puzzled.
4 fl. Oz per 10 gallons. A "Gill" may be what you're familiar with. Just give it a couple glugs every time you fill up.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:06 AM   #28
1930-Pickup

Quote:
4 fl. Oz per 10 gallons. A "Gill" may be what you're familiar with. Just give it a couple glugs every time you fill up.
...and the MMO container is marked/embossed in fl oz, so you can double check your glug glug
Old 12-01-2017, 12:37 AM   #29
Chuck Sea/Tac

For you naysayers———- when my engine was first built, it had a ticking noise. Probably a sticky lifter?? The man that built it told me to put mmo in the gas. The noise went away. A tank or so later, I left the mmo out. The noise came back. Put mmo back in, and the noise went away again. Been using it for 35,000 miles.
Also, believe it or not I’ve never had a no start, and I pretty sure it’s because of how I hold my mouth while stepping on the starter button.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Nope, a "Gill is new to me. I've just done a little research. I US gallon is 128 fluid ounces (weird number!) so a fill of say, 10 gallons is 1280 ounces. 4 ounces in that is 0.31%. That would be about 125 ml. Wow, that is pretty low!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #31
Railcarmover
BANNED

I'd caution against using too much in the fuel, the intake valve and bowl isn't subject to the cleaning effect of heat the exhaust side has, any oil deposited in this area doesn't wash, it combines with carbon to make a tar-like substance.This is prevalent in an engine I'm doing now,a gummy build up in the intake bowl and back of intake valve,way more than there should be with a low mileage engine this is..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #32
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I'd caution against using too much in the fuel, the intake valve and bowl isn't subject to the cleaning effect of heat the exhaust side has, any oil deposited in this area doesn't wash, it combines with carbon to make a tar-like substance.This is prevalent in an engine I'm doing now,a gummy build up in the intake bowl and back of intake valve,way more than there should be with a low mileage engine this is..
I have used MMO and don't believe it does harm when used as directed and may do some good.

I've always wondered, however, how it can help lubricate the exhaust valve stem and guide (when used in the fuel). I can see that when it is drawn past the intake valve that it could coat part of the stem and help lube it. On the exhaust side, however, it is burned up by combustion before the exhaust valve opens.

Ideas?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #33
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
For you naysayers———- when my engine was first built, it had a ticking noise. Probably a sticky lifter?? The man that built it told me to put mmo in the gas. The noise went away.
How does MMO in the fuel get to the lifters?
Old 12-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #34
Crankster

Some of the oil in the upper rocker area (OHV anyway) manages to lubricate valve stems, MMO is made to be used in both the crankcase and fuel, they recomend replacing 1 quart of motor oil with 1 quart of theirs.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #35
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
I have used MMO and don't believe it does harm when used as directed and may do some good.

I've always wondered, however, how it can help lubricate the exhaust valve stem and guide (when used in the fuel). I can see that when it is drawn past the intake valve that it could coat part of the stem and help lube it. On the exhaust side, however, it is burned up by combustion before the exhaust valve opens.

Ideas?

Soot quality of the exhaust aides in exhaust valve lubrication. late model engines from the 70's used mechanical and vacuum advance to reduce emissions,and basically shortened valve life by providing a cleaner burn which reduced soot and deposits ultimately reducing particulate emissions ...old Volkswagen trick to extend head life is to run an early mechanical advance distributor on a later engine,it didn't keep the advance pegged during decel,allowing the soot to build and ultimately a cooler valve..with the model a engine having a potential issue with exhaust valve burning the MMO,if it cools the fuel burn rate and leaves a deposit,could help.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #36
MikeK

A little over 30,000 gallons to fill the tank.

However, even empty, with a tank tare of 65,000 lbs this rig is probably already overloaded.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #37
Railcarmover
BANNED

Silly...this is a rail car mover..

Old 12-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #38
Fordvicki

started using mmo. I now have very faint oil residue at base of plugs
Fordvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #39
Fred S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Puzzled.
Ounce markings are on the side of the U S sold bottles. I'd expect similar markings for other countries.
Fred S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #40
burner31

Just use a mouthful mate.
See my earlier post
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote