Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default 29 Roadster seat question (Upholstery)

A number of years back, as I was entering my roadster, I leaned in, put my fist onto the seat and proceeded to enter the drivers compartment, just as I had done numerous times prior. This time my hand suddenly went through the material and I had created a hole right where I was going to sit. I have determined that it is about time to repair the damage. Took the seat out and find that the coil springs seem to be a bit weak and they are no longer tied together as tightly as the rest of the seat cushion. I also noticed that there were four spring rods that ran fore and aft along the width of the seat. one below the break in material is broken in a couple of places and will need to be replaced.
So, Cartouche has the material that is a close match if I do the cushion and the backrest, it will probably pass muster. My question is do I buy a new spring cushion, if so from whom, or do I try to replace coils as needed and the aligning spring? Any other choices and any comments will be appreciated. I can put the material on myself, but not sure of my ability to replace the weak coils and the locating springs correctly.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
midgetracer

Default Re: 29 Roadster seat question (Upholstery)

Snyders makes the springs that everyone sells. I would call them. As for repairing the old ones....If they are originals I would probably replace the unit. Snyders may walk you through repairing your old ones if they are their repos.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
ronn

buy Snyders as Midget mentions- the old ones have lost their tension by now

and no use doing the job 2x.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
Jim M

I had exactly the same problem on my 29 Roadster. It had been in a barn for over 20 years and the mice had a comunity in there. Many of the springs were broken and/or bent. A local upholstery shop suggested to use a big block of foam rubber. That way we could make it the exact height I wanted and used a fairly stiff piece of foam rubber since I weigh about 220. Worked like a charm. Something to consider. I am VERY happy with mine. As an aside we did the back rest the same way as that spring was very weak. Good Luck!!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
daveymc29

Okay, I ordered a new spring cushion from Snyders this morning and am about to order the seat back and seat cushion material as made up by CarTouche. They won't be open until the 5th so I didn't get that done yet. So as I have a couple of days how about some comments on their kits? Anyone done one lately? Last real upholstery job I did was created Naugahyde for my 47 coupe back in about 1959. Had to scrounge the bows in a wrecking yard and create my own patterns. I turned out real nice and enhanced my selling price all the way up to $125.00.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Are you going to install the seat covers correctly -or are you going to use 'hog rings'?

The first step is to ensure the springs fit the seat riser correctly. There needs to be no more than approximately ¼" between the bottom perimeter of the spring and the inside edge of the seat riser before the cover is installed. If there is, you will need to modify the bottom of the seat spring. Failure to do this will cause the spring to slide within the riser when you are entering/exiting the vehicle, and can slide when negotiating a sharp turn while driving. It also makes the side of the seat cover look funny as it won't be vertical as correctly shown in the pictures below of Doug's Roadster.

Also, be sure to correctly install the wire correctly in the seat cushion.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5366.jpg (56.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5369.jpg (45.3 KB, 59 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #7
daveymc29

Brent, I tried to find Marcos site for his tips. Wondering do I have to disassemble the cushion (spring) that I get from Snyder's to wrap each spring with burlap? Looks like they were all wrapped individually when Ford put them in originally. Mine don't have each spring wrapped, but the 47 I did, if I remember correctly, did. Also, back then I put the material on with Hog rings and the stuff on my present seat upholstery is held in place with hog rings, so is that the wrong thing to use? I'm not a purist, but I don't want to botch it all up either.