Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
19Fordy

Default HOW TO:REINSTALL POINTS CAM LOBE on 49-53 Ford Distributor

Last week I posted a question on how to do this. Figured it out. Here's the answer.
Thank you to those who responded. Hope this helps someone else. A special THANK YOU to Fordbarner Tubman who sent me a detailed instructional email and to the other Fordbarners who responded to my original Post.

FIRST: Before you ever remove the points cam lobe make an alignment scratch mark on the distributor shaft and the cam lobe and you will never have this problem of figuring out where the cam lobe should go when reinstalling it.

HOW TO REINSTALL POINTS CAM LOBE ON A MALLORY MECHANICAL ADVANCE # YL 2527501 DUAL POINT DISTRIBUTOR FOR A 1953 FORD 239 CI.IN V-8 Photos attached.

Photos include .227 in. thickness of spacer made to raise distributor for proper engagement of cam gear with bottom distributor gear as this 8BA has early heads installed. OD and ID of spacer may vary depending on measurements of distributor "neck and shoulder" and timing cover. My cover is OEM cast iron.

HERE WE GO:
1. Disconnect battery
2. Turn the crankshaft nut CW with a 7/8 in. socket wrench so that the timing mark on the pulley lines up with the timing pointer on the timing cover AND the dist. Rotor points to #1 spark plug terminal on the distributor cap on the COMPRESSION STROKE.

3. Using a magic marker make a line on the top edge of the distributor housing directly in line with the position of the rotor when it’s pointing to #1 terminal of dist. cap. Also make an alignment mark on the distributer housing where in rests on the timing cover opening.

4. Remove rotor and apply a light coat of thin oil on the distributor shaft where the cam lobe fits and also to the inside hole of the cam lobe. Place the points cam lobe in position on the shaft so that the small hole in the top surface of the cam lobe aligns with the black line you just made on the dist. housing. This is the proper location for the cam to be in when #1 cylinder fires. Press down on the cam lobe with your fingers or tap it extremely lightly so that the cam won’t fall off when you remove the distributor. Notice the location of the leading (left side) and trailing point(right side) sets when the correct alignment is made. ROTOR TURNS CLOCKWISE.

5. Loosen distributor hold down bolt and carefully remove distributor. When doing this you will see the rotor move because of the helix camshaft gears.

6. Place the distributor in a bench vise that has protective jaws so as not to damage distributor housing. Be sure to rest the distributor cam gear on a small piece of wood or plastic so as not to damage it.

7. Now, gently tap on the points cam lobe making sure it is in the same position as in Step 4. To do this, place a 5/8 spark plug socket or a deep socket over the distributor shaft and on top of the points cam lobe and tap on the top of the socket with a small ball peen hammer until the cam lobe goes down and seats on the shoulder of the shaft. The sound and feel will change when it bottoms out.

8. NOW, take a scribe and make a matching scratch mark on the cam lobe and the dist. shaft to mark its location.

9. Now, reinstall the distributor in the engine so that the rotor points to #1 cylinder on the distributor cap and also aligns with the black line you made earlier on the distributor housing. The alignment marks where the distributor fits into the top of the timing cover should also line up. The distributor is now in the same position before you removed it.

10. Tighten down the distributor hold down and,make sure your plug wires and distributor cap are correctly installed according to the correct firing order.
11. Reconnect your battery
12. Start your engine and do final timing with timing light. If needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5642b.jpg (67.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5625b.jpg (47.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5643b.jpg (64.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5687b.jpg (27.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5689b.jpg (58.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5681b.jpg (37.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5699b.jpg (50.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-10-2020 at 10:00 AM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
Scotty's 52 F3

Default Re: HOW TO:REINSTALL POINTS CAM LOBE on 49-53 Ford Distributor

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to save it for my Mallory if I ever get to it.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to save it for my Mallory if I ever get to it.

Thanks,. Like I said. Best to avoid removing the cam lobe in the first place.
The lobes rarely wear down.
If you ever do have to remove it ,only use a small puller with jaws.
Never try to pry it up and off as you will destroy the guts of your distributor
It's very tight.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-10-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Scotty's 52 F3

I was given a couple distributors. One was the Mallory that is apart. Looks like an attempted electronic conversion. It's all there. Like you, I wondered how to properly index it.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Mike51Merc

With all respect to the tech data, I believe cam lobe placement is not necessarily technically precise.

What I mean is, the range of adjustability of the distributor is wide enough to compensate for a few degrees difference in lobe placement on the shaft. There are 8 lobes, each 45 degrees apart. Your distributor can rotate plenty more than 45 degrees in adjustability.

In other words, if you want #1 cylinder TDC at exactly 6 o'clock, that's fine, but 6:05 or 5:50 is just as fine.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
tubman

Sorry, double post.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
tubman

While I applaud "19Fordy"'s excellent job on this, I was having the same thoughts. I believe he did the right thing, however, as having everything as close to factory spec as possible is good practice. A case in point is while positioning the spark plug wires in the proper spots in the cap is not necessary for a car to run well, not doing it can cause trouble down the road if other problems develop. Ask me how I know.

Doing things the right way is it's own reward.

Last edited by tubman; 02-11-2020 at 11:01 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
19Fordy

I agree with all the above posts. Like, tubman said, having things set up like the factory designated makes it easier for other folks to work on the car who may not be attuned to "custom" spark plug wire locations on the cap terminals. It gives the person (like me) working on the car a good comfort level when they see #1 is at OEM position, especially on distributor caps that have 1 molded into the cap at the #1 terminal.

If #1 plug wire has been moved to another cap terminal, confusion may result unless the person working on the car is very experienced.

Plus,like Mike said, you want to have the range of motion for the distributor so that the vacuum advance canister can be positioned, look good, have no interference with other engine parts and still be able to be held in place by the OEM hold down clamp.

No doubt, the position of the distributor rotor so that # 1 cylinder is one tooth to the right or left of the traditional 6:00 o'clock position is acceptable but I prefer using the factory set up position.
Personally, I don't plan on removing another points cam lobe.

I appreciate, the feedback that has been given by all.