Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
Joeyv

Default Tacoma Cream Powder Coating - getting close!

I’m putting on A set of 19 inch wheels on my 31 roadster and had been looking for someone to powder coat them in Tacoma cream. There are businesses to powder coat, but I couldn’t find anyone in San Diego that had that color. I had been calling “Model A Wheel Colors” coating in Seattle and always received a voicemail, which was filled up, so it was impossible to leave a message. I contacted ‘Powder by the pound’ ( https://www.powderbuythepound.com )in Tennessee. I told the pleasant women in customer service there that I was restoring a Model A Ford and I need a particular color powder coat. I asked if they could supply a specific Model A color for me. She asked “like Tacoma Cream?”! Apparently someone had already ordered that color from them, and they had the formula required to make it. I ordered it from them. I was told I should have it in 2 weeks. I’ll let you know how their service is, and how accurate the color is when the wheels powder coated.. So far so good. Passing it on if others need a powder coat supplier for similar reasons.
Joeyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
old31

Default Re: Tacoma Cream Powder Coating - getting close!

I have used them and there service is great. There Tacoma Creme is right on the money, perfect match.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
I have used them and there service is great. There Tacoma Creme is right on the money, perfect match.
Good to know.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
jw hash

with the virus BS, Model A wheel colors has been closed. hopefully they will be back open soon. I use them all the time.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Joeyv

Jw hash: I suspected that might have been a reason for them being MIA. It’s a common occurrence these days. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
jw hash

joeyv I will let you know when they are open. I need a lot of powder coating done. so I will be up there. if you have a problem getting a hold of them let me know.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
Alaska Mike

Be sure and get some extra powder and keep it in a sealed container, in a conditioned space. If you get a chip or need touch up you can do it with clear finger nail polish and some of the powder. Learned that from a class I took at Powder by the Pound. Good folks.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #8
jack99

I believe I used RAL 1001
jack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #9
Kingo

Just had my 19” rims to the powder coater. Used Model A Wheel Colors Tacoma cream on them. Color is perfect match to the paint chip in the model a paint book. Great people to work with!
Kingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
jw hash

Joey sent PM
Old 07-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
Joeyv

Just to follow up on my original posting: The powder I received from ‘Powder Buy The Pound’ matched my other Model A wheels’ Tacoma Cream color. I was happy with the turn around time and color. I’d use them again, but I can’t say how their prices compare to Model A Wheel Colors’ because they were unavailable when I was looking to purchase powder. If you are going to purchase powder, you should check both. It sounds like both places can provide Tacoma Cream. I can’t speak for other colors. Thanks all!
Old 07-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #12
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyv View Post
I’m putting on A set of 19 inch wheels on my 31 roadster and had been looking for someone to powder coat them in Tacoma cream. There are businesses to powder coat, but I couldn’t find anyone in San Diego that had that color. I had been calling “Model A Wheel Colors” coating in Seattle and always received a voicemail, which was filled up, so it was impossible to leave a message. I contacted ‘Powder by the pound’ ( https://www.powderbuythepound.com )in Tennessee. I told the pleasant women in customer service there that I was restoring a Model A Ford and I need a particular color powder coat. I asked if they could supply a specific Model A color for me. She asked “like Tacoma Cream?”! Apparently someone had already ordered that color from them, and they had the formula required to make it. I ordered it from them. I was told I should have it in 2 weeks. I’ll let you know how their service is, and how accurate the color is when the wheels powder coated.. So far so good. Passing it on if others need a powder coat supplier for similar reasons.
I have bought tacoma creme through powder by the pound and they are great to work with. The color match was perfect.

I first tried model a wheels but gave up on them. This was about a year ago.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote