Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2024, 12:30 PM   #1
Krylon32

Default Restoring an Old Ford

Probably not appropriate for this forum but what the hell. For the past 50+ years I've been involved with early Fords. (mostly 32's) I'm tackling a new project, a bought it new 53 Jubilee. I thought cars were tough but finding someone to tackle this for me has shown itself to be very difficult. Parts are available but knowledgeable rebuilders seem to be scarce here in the central part of t he country. I'll trudge ahead, would like to get this done and give it to my son before I die.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 12:57 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: Restoring an Old Ford

Krylon
Even paying supposed "professional" quality restoration shops has gotten to be a gamble....We paid dearly for "Shit" results and hurried give shit labor!!! AND "NO" accountability or ethics
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 01:01 PM   #3
kurt v

I've got a 53 jub made early march, look up yesterdays tractors forms those guys can help you .

kurt
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 01:44 PM   #4
GB SISSON

There are Tractor guys and then there's 'original correct restoration' Tractor guys. I've been attending and displaying at an antique tractor and machinery meet for 37 years and unfortunately Fords are not well represented. The serious guys are more interested in Case crossmotors, Rumely oil Pulls, Rare ACs and Rare JDs and way more. There are 500+ tractors there with maybe 25 fords. Many of these Fords are beautifully restored but they don't get much attention. Maybe google 'Early Days Gas Engine and Tractor Association'. There will be a branch near you. I have found members to be extremely friendly and helpful. Someone will know who the Ford gurus are. I've had four or five 8ns/9ns but never owned a Jubilee, my birth year. Hope you find the right folks!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 01:49 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Probably not appropriate for this forum but what the hell. For the past 50+ years I've been involved with early Fords. (mostly 32's) I'm tackling a new project, a bought it new 53 Jubilee. I thought cars were tough but finding someone to tackle this for me has shown itself to be very difficult. Parts are available but knowledgeable rebuilders seem to be scarce here in the central part of t he country. I'll trudge ahead, would like to get this done and give it to my son before I die.
I'd restored a '56 Massey Harris Pacer. My father-in-law bought it new. It was one of about 5000 made over a five-year span.
It was quite nice when he handed it over to me for restoration. I'd done the same level of restoration I have always done upon my '39 and '40 Fords. It was a fun project and rewarding when I saw my father-in-law's expression when it was completed.
Old 06-21-2024, 03:42 PM   #6
Krylon32

The University of Nebraska has a tractor restoration program the has ag & engineering students doing the work with qualified tractor restoration people advising. It appears to be very successful? It's based on parts and materials used during the restoration being billed on a monthly basis with a donation for the labor at the end of the project. Worth checking into. I was contacted by one of the advisors who runs a tractor restoration shop specializing in Ford tractors.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 04:13 PM   #7
ssffnomad

Gary, good for you. T 🚜
Good Luck the Restoration.
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 07:59 PM   #8
DavidG

The Early Ford V8 Club rcognizes Ford tractors from the 1932 through 1953 era.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:20 AM   #9
corvette8n

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/forums/ford.15/
This was one of the forums I was on when I had my 8n, there are several others, keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Here’s where I also bought parts from, good prices and great service.

https://www.just8ns.com/

Last edited by corvette8n; 06-22-2024 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added info
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 08:09 AM   #10
Als48

I have a '54 Ford Jubilee which my grandad bought new. When he passed in '76, I was glad to be able to purchase the tractor from dad and his siblings. I've kept it pretty nice all of these years and still use it for light work, such as mowing. I rebuilt it around 3 years ago, replacing the sleeves, bearings, pistons and rings, valves, gaskets, oil pump, etc as well as replacing some sheet metal and repainting the entire tractor 9probably about the fourth time I've repainted it. I wouldn't call it restored, but lightly used with less than 2000 hours on it.

You probably already know of Dennis Carpenter Ford parts, as well as Steiner Tractor in Michigan. CheapTractor Parts is in Kentucky and there is a very large tractor salvage yard in Sikeston, Missouri (I can't think of the name but you can probably Google it). Good Luck with your tractor.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:20 PM   #11
earlyride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als48 View Post
I have a '54 Ford Jubilee which my grandad bought new. When he passed in '76, I was glad to be able to purchase the tractor from dad and his siblings. I've kept it pretty nice all of these years and still use it for light work, such as mowing. I rebuilt it around 3 years ago, replacing the sleeves, bearings, pistons and rings, valves, gaskets, oil pump, etc as well as replacing some sheet metal and repainting the entire tractor 9probably about the fourth time I've repainted it. I wouldn't call it restored, but lightly used with less than 2000 hours on it.

You probably already know of Dennis Carpenter Ford parts, as well as Steiner Tractor in Michigan. CheapTractor Parts is in Kentucky and there is a very large tractor salvage yard in Sikeston, Missouri (I can't think of the name but you can probably Google it). Good Luck with your tractor.

Al Hook
Hi Al
I also have a 1954 ford tractor, the 1953s were the jubilee model and the 54s were called NAA. These tractors are identical other than the front badge, from what I have been told. John
earlyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 05:42 PM   #12
Als48

Hi Early,

Thanks, I knew that about the NAA but people still call them "Jubilees". Kind of a unique name, isn't it.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 05:52 PM   #13
John Gibson

I just acquired a OHV Ford tractor and was told it’s a 1957 600. It is a four speed so I think it probably is a 600 rather than 610 to 640. Has a spin on oil filter but other than that it’s not all that different than the several 8N and 9N tractors I had back in the day, just a little larger tractor and a 50% increase in horsepower.
John Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote