Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
aussiesteve

Default 1932 phaeton top iron questions

I just started digging thru my top iron parts and I have a few questions.
The stud that the top attaches to at the back,what does it attach to on the body?
Mine has the hole in the body but no hole in the new wood.
I assume there is supposed to be a metal bracket for it to attach to?
I see that wescott reproduces the stud but what about the rear saddle and all the other parts?
Thanks
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 phaeton top iron questions

The holes in the body for the studs that support the top irons are just forward of where the wood ends. The studs do not pass through the wood. There's a reinforced area inside the upper quarter panels with those holes. The studs are threaded and secured with a lock washer and hex nut. Originally, the threads on the outside ends of the studs were right hand threads on one and left hand threads on the other.

The top prop saddle and its stud are located further back on the quarter panel. Those studs are shown in the second photo below along with a saddle. They attach to D nuts in the rear most vertical strainers in the quarter panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 822.jpg (123.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 223.jpg (43.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 118.jpg (51.4 KB, 66 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
aussiesteve

David G Thanks for the help
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The holes in the body for the studs that support the top irons are just forward of where the wood ends. The studs do not pass through the wood. There's a reinforced area inside the upper quarter panels with those holes. The studs are threaded and secured with a lock washer and hex nut. Originally, the threads on the outside ends of the studs were right hand threads on one and left hand threads on the other.

The top prop saddle and its stud are located further back on the quarter panel. Those studs are shown in the second photo below along with a saddle. They attach to D nuts in the rear most vertical strainers in the quarter panels.

David, can you offer more details on what the 2 oval rings and the 2 upper clips in your picture are for?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
DavidG

The oval ring on the lower right side is the escutcheon for the opening in the door trim panels for the inside door handle on a '32 deluxe roadster and phaeton. The ring on the opposite side is the backing for it positioned on the inside of the door trim panel.

The two upper clips have a very important function. Two of the male version on the right are riveted to the inner bottom edge of the top boot 13" apart (on center) and two of the female version on the left are attached with wood screws to the wood above the belt molding as shown in the photo below. When the top is lowered and the boot is installed the male portions insert into the slots in the female portions preventing the bottom of the boot from drooping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010211.jpg (47.5 KB, 21 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
uncle buck

Thank you David. I thought those were door handle trim but second guessed myself thinking something similar may be used somewhere on the top. I had never noticed the clips on the belt rail before.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote