Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
History

Default Seems like there's not enough fuel

It starts great, idles great but when I hit the accelerator I can hear it sucking hard and while it doesn't backfire it's almost like it wants to. I had completely disassembled the carb and cleaned all passages last year. It ran great, accelerated great but there was no difference i could tell when I turn the (gav). You fellows helped me figure out that I hadn't cleaned the (gav) passage. I did that and now can tell a difference but it didn't perform as it had before. I'm not sure what's going on. I believe I have great flow to the carb, the inlet is not in too deep so that's not restricting. I'm not sure what to do, intake gasket? I'll try some starting fluid and see. It really ran great and now seems to be starving when I open it up.

I have a new valve at the tank and always close it and run the carb dry during shut down. I don't think the valve leaks any and the carb fills immediately when I turn the valve on.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
eagle

Default Re: Seems like there's not enough fuel

It does sound like carb issues, however ignition can do the same thing. Lift a plug wire/strap while engine is running, preferably in the evening when not so bright out, and observe the spark to the plug. Should be strong, steady, and blue. Just for reference, mine will spark to plug top at least a half inch, steady and blue. For checking an intake gasket, I think its easier to use an unlit propane torch. You can direct it around the gasket area without the carb intake sucking in the vapors. Also check carb to manifold gasket area.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

Have you removed/installed the coil lately? If in backwards it may kind of work, but has a weak spark. It will look blue but is weak. In the above test if considerably less than half an inch - weak spark.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
History

Torch idea is a good one, never considered it.

I have not touched the coil.

I'll check the gas flow one more time. Does anyone have an idea of what ten seconds of drawing gas through the line as it goes into the carburetor will get me? Pint? Does any one had a time figure to use?

Thanks for replies
Old 05-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

Disconnect the line at the carb, turn on the fuel, you should get a steady, strong "piss" out of the line.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Take out at least one plug and see if it is black and fuzzy. If so, clean the plugs.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Take out at least one plug and see if it is black and fuzzy. If so, clean the plugs.
I did and they were black but not fuzzy, didn’t seem oily either. I did notice that if while I operated the throttle from at the carburetor and opened the gav it would smoke some and not if I almost closed it. It doesn’t seem to be flooding even when it smokes. I won’t be able to try anything until tomorrow or Monday as we are bringing our kids belongings home from college.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #8
chap52

Might just be the carb mixture adjustment? Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote