Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > For Sale > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
coop39

Default more scammers on ford barn

City: mtg
State: aus
Price: not much

hi.i know that 99.9% of ford barners are great to deal with.but i am just warning everyone agian about scammers using this site.
i put an add in the wanted for a 36 coupe.i have had a reply going by Frances Flores.he sent pics of a coupe that was sold a few weeks back out of utah and was wanting money deposited only and wouldnt give contact details.i know he/she will change there identity but i hope this helps everyone to keep alert when buying.if a deal is too good to be true,it usally is....
coop39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
JMKnight

Default Re: more scammers on ford barn

Same thing just happened to me. I wanted an Eddie Myers intake and a guy calling himself LaPlank e-mailed me a photo of an EM intake. He was asking $350 but wouldn't take paypal only Western Union. I smelled a rat because $350 is less than half what the intake is worth. I asked him to take another photo with his left hand on the intake and we would deal. Never got a reply. Look out my friends.
JMKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
karasmer

I had a reply for a trunklid I was looking for that seemed a bit suspicious so I found where the scammer borrowed the photos from, it was from a listing on the Hamb. Identical photos just a different seller, hmmm.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
norm dog

This Frances Flores contacted me just the other day. He/she has the 32 parts I,m looking for. Yea right !!! Be carefull people .
norm dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
2935ford

Kinda like what goes on at e pay......if you do not have enough positive feedback you're suspect.......so FNG'ers here may face the same.
Always people ruining a good thing and difficult to police!

Thanks for the heads up.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
toms32

I had some fenders that I really needed. I told the individual that I would either use paypal or send him a US postal money order. He refused and wanted Western Union which I have never used in my life. I let it go. Usually if the deal seems too good it is usually suspect. When in doubt I usually ask for a phone number to contact them. In those instances I never hear from them again. This of course is not fool proof but it is highly recommended
toms32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
IndyFordy

Some of us do have different user names on the HAMB. I would say a history of good posts will verify the honest user over the ones with one or two that just joined last week.
IndyFordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
34pickup

I always assume who I am dealing with ( if I don't know them personally) is a potential crook. I never send anyone more money than I can afford to lose. If it involves a large enough sum, I go there and deal in person, mano o mano.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
professorpat

I have been looking for a trunk lid for my 37 pheaton. Low and behold I get a response, from an individual who states he has two, a nos, and a good used one.
Wanted $1500. and $900 respectivly. I ask him for photos of both, bingo he vanished. Yes, they are on the barn!!!!
professorpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
4D-4EVR MAN

All of this is good to know as I am new to ford Barn and would hate to be scammed.
Almost got scammed on e-bay but my banker stopped me when the person said we would use a holding agent for the payment.
Please keep the INFO coming, it really helps all of us.
4D-4EVR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
epw1949

Professorpat, I am not a scammer,I still do have the two 1937 trunk lids,but decided not to sell any parts until my 37 is completely finished. My name is E.P.Williams,live in N.H. born in this country 63 years ago. I gave you my cell phone # and my email address,but you never used either,instead you chose to classify me as a scammer.Have a good day.
epw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
epw1949

I, EPWilliams placed a wanted 34 interior door handle on the barn the other day.Well low and behold I got a pm from Frances Flores he/she has one,price $170.00 but kind enough to include shipping.Payment only by western union or moneygram.Well I was born at night but not last.Hope this helps and have a safe and happy holiday.EPW
epw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
professorpat

EPW, wow, now you reappear. When you did not respond to picture request, or just a note to say you changed your mind, what was I to think? By the way, I did not list your name, a bit touchy? You chose those words, not me. And no thanks on the lid, I will find another.
professorpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
46Ford4dr

Damn scammers. I always deal with postal money orders, or on a rare occasion, a business check if someones buying something from me. But luckily I have only run into the good guys on here. But that's probably because I don't have anything worth selling for a decent price.Thanks for the info though, I will keep a look out.
46Ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
Sumfuncomet

I saw on OT car on EBay that was just what I was looking for....at half the price! The car was in NH so I sent email saying I wanted a look as I live in Maine. Turned out she was an Army Major...shipping out in a week, car was in a storage container and would be shipped direct to me. All I had to pay was 1/2 up front and 1/2 if I liked the car? Wow! What a deal! These people prey on the greedy or just plain stupid. I reported it to eBay and they did follow up on it. I think that is the bottom line, if it seems to good to be true it probably is. These people should have their nuts crushed slowly in a vise!
Sumfuncomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
Step-down

I've been told the problem with honest people is that they except everyone else to be the same .....How true ......
Old 12-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #17
Dodge

Yes,
I have also gotten several spam emails from wanted posts lately. All wanted western union payments. One guy when asked for a picture took the first one off of google.
I told him nice cut and paste job, but not interested.
Also when I told one of the spammers I had purchased the item needed, the spamming stopped???????
Maybe one or two guys with lots of different names.
Dodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
Kube

I just got this today:

<[email protected]> Add sender to Contacts

Hello

Greetings from EUROPE, Are you still interested in buying your wanted advert posted above? i have it for sale ,Please are you ready to buy now? just want to be sure before sending photos,I have been with shipping all my life and now retired,shipping will be cheap and insured , let me know if you are still interested thanks, hope to hear from you soon

Regards
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
46ford

It's very easy to spot these. Anytime someone asks "is the item still for sale" or quotes your verbiage like "Is the 59AB engine still in good condition" I delete the email. Most are scams. I have seen the phrase "the 700R4 transmission shifts as it should" so many times in ads for cars that don't have a 700R4 it's not even funny.

Use common sense and you won't get scammed. Delete all the emails and take phone calls only.

I learned my lesson when I bought the engine for my car and tried to offer the seller less than the $100 he had it listed for. Every time I offered less he increased the price. I quit when I hit $300 and just bought the damn thing.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
40fordpu

It would be awesome if there was a way for members to "promote" the people they buy from. In other words, if i sell 46ford a part. The transaction goes as planned, then he can acknowledge me, somewhere by my user name there can be a number of promotes (something like ebay). That way you can see if someone is a good barner. Just an idea.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote