Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
Newby

Default Maybe starter problems?

I am new to the model A. I have never owned one. To try to make this a short as possible, I will try. Bought a ‘31 Tudor a couple weeks ago. Been sitting for 45 years. The engine was free. After a new battery, cleaned the plugs, shot a little oil in the cylinders, filled the radiator, cleaned the carb, I was ready to try to start. After it rolled over a dozen times, it fired. Wow! I was thrilled. After a couple mor3 tries , I had her up and running. I ran it for about 10 to 15 minutes. It was running the best with the lever fully advanced. Shut her off, and I thought that was incredible! After a couple days, I returned to her thinking maybe I should check the timing. Watched 3 or 4 tube vids to see what I had to do. It looked simple enough, so I did what they said. What I did not realize at first was that the distributor was missing some Bakelite from the bottom and it wasn’t holding it in place. The engine backfired once, and before I had noticed the pieces missing on the distributor, she would not start. I tried to start again, and when I hit the starter, I got nothing. Need to know why the starter will not engage. I get 6.2 volts from the battery and down on the starter, but does nothing.
Newby is offline   Reply With Quote