Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #21
scicala

Default Re: tick tick tick tick

I don't mean to sound confused, but if Old2New said he found a worn rocker arm and lifter, I would say it's time to repair and stop diagnosing ? Somebody tell me if I missed something ?

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #22
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
I don't mean to sound confused, but if Old2New said he found a worn rocker arm and lifter, I would say it's time to repair and stop diagnosing ? Somebody tell me if I missed something ?
...and low oil pressure and very poor top end oil flow...

Maybe we're trying too hard at avoiding giving out bad news, hoping he'll realize it himself first
Yes, it's time to take it all apart and rebuild it. A heavier weight oil will just be a band-aid while he's figuring out how to accomplish an engine rebuild.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-28-2017 at 04:49 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #23
Old2New

Im convinced I need to pull the valve covers off and make sure I tightened everything down properly and have everything put in there correctly. I will update everyone on my finding later tonight. thanks for the help guys.
Switching from 20w50 to straight 30 made my oil pressure worse actually. This is crazy, and now another lifter is ticking.
Old2New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #24
a4278v

worn lifter means cam wear it will not get better just worse as it seems to be doing.
a4278v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #25
Old2New

Ok guys, I know it needs rebuilt. I just can't afford to until March. I'm trying to keep it running until then. I have been fighting a never ending battle and only can afford bandaids until march... Thanks for all the help guys
Old 01-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #26
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old2New View Post
Switching from 20w50 to straight 30 made my oil pressure worse actually. This is crazy, and now another lifter is ticking.
To be expected, as SAE 30 is lower viscosity than 50. You could add a thickener such as STP but go easy on cold starts as thick oil doesn't circulate as well when cold.
Noisy lifters are mainly just irritating noise, but if you hear deeper, heavier knocking better park it before a rod makes a window in the block.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #27
Old2New

Would putting oil restrictors, aka Holley jets, in the oil feed tubes help increase pressure enough to get by until march? If so would motorcraft jets work in place of Holley jets? I have plenty of them
Old 01-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old2New View Post
Would putting oil restrictors, aka Holley jets, in the oil feed tubes help increase pressure enough to get by until march? If so would motorcraft jets work in place of Holley jets? I have plenty of them
Oil to the rockers is metered by the cam bearings so I don't think you'd gain much with another restriction, plus you could starve the rockers. How much oil is reaching the top end now? Run it with the covers off and see if it's flooded with oil or not. You should have some oil dripping off every rocker arm.
390's send oil from the pump to the cam bearings first before the mains and rods so if your cam bearings are worn, pressure will be lost before getting tot he rockers or mains or rods. You're only a month, six weeks from your March overhaul date so just keep driving easy and it should last. Enjoy the ticking!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #29
scicala

I agree. You would have to put in small restrictors to build up the oil pressure, if it's even possible. At that point you would starve the rockers. There aren't really any band aids for a worn lifter/cam lobe and low oil pressure. Main reason for the low pressure is more than likely worn main, rod and/or cam bearings. If thicker oil doesn't help, it's repair time. Maybe borrow or rent another car if you have to wait until March.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:48 PM   #30
Old2New

Ok guys, thanks for all the help on here. I'm going to do the rebuild and just call this topic closed. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:23 PM   #31
greenpondmike

I hope the rebuild went alright. On my oil gauge the 20w-50 and 30wt performed very similar results. I don't think VR1 has enough of the good stuff to properly protect, but it is a last result option in my opinion. Not suggesting it because you said you are/were using it. Sounds like you were going through a similar situation as I was, but that little midget with a tiny hammer was constant and did more damage although my engine would give you an oil bath. I know FE rebuilds are expensive and again, I hope it went well for you.
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #32
packrat5
BANNED

It's a low oil pressure issue. You MAY be able to stave it off for a bit with an aftermarket high volume oil pump, but it won't fix a worn out engine.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote