Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
larrys40

Default Radial tires and Wire basket hubcaps

I have coker classic radials on my driver 56 TBird.... The problem is I get the scraping sound where the outer hubcap ( wire part) rubs the tires. I have the correct clips and rubber spacers on the clips. I have also tried to bend out the hubcap so that it isn't so close to the tire.. Sometimes it seem like it's OK for a while and then the noise. I have also inflated tires to 40 + PSI but it doesn't solve it either. There has to be others out there with the same dilemma. Any ideas. If this was a Model A or my '40 I'd have her solved... but this is just a simple hubcap issue driving my crazy!

All input appreciated .
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Radial tires and Wire basket hubcaps

Larry,
What size are your tires, 205/75R15 ?
This is a new one for me. Mine has the same type of wheel covers but doesn't have this problem. (see picture) If it might occur in the future I like to help figure it out now.

I'm not understanding how a tire can make a scraping sound on a wheel cover...
Is a rear one rubbing on a fender skirt? Worn out rubber leaf-spring bushings will allow the whole rear axle to shift side-to-side more than it should.
Is it just one wheel-cover, or all of them? Maybe some of the various parts of the cover are loose and rubbing/rattling against each other?

FYI: don't fill your tires higher than the max pressure stamped on the sidewall. (cold inflation psi)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0410141536a.jpg (58.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-21-2014 at 09:54 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
darrell

i know this was a problem but i thought it was solved.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Herman Munster

I'm having a hard time understanding this one too.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
larrys40

Yes I have the 205/75R15 coker classic whitewall radial tire on it. The hubcaps rub on the tire. The five clips I have on each wheel also dig into the side wall of the tire. I'm a little worried about that as time goes on even though the sidewalls are thick at the bead. The hubcap is not rubbing on the skirts on the rear.. as also the fronts do it as well. It 's strictly the noise from rubbing on the rubber spacers on the clips and the outer edge of the hubcaps on the tire itself. I will try and post some photos tomorrow.
Any thoughts for a fix ?
Thanks,
Larry
Old 12-22-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
Jimz Bird

It may have something to do with this:
http://www.mossmotoring.com/wp-conte...adial-Tire.jpg
Jimz Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Yes I have the 205/75R15 coker classic whitewall radial tire on it. The hubcaps rub on the tire. The five clips I have on each wheel also dig into the side wall of the tire. I'm a little worried about that as time goes on even though the sidewalls are thick at the bead. The hubcap is not rubbing on the skirts on the rear.. as also the fronts do it as well. It's strictly the noise from rubbing on the rubber spacers on the clips and the outer edge of the hubcaps on the tire itself. I will try and post some photos tomorrow.
Any thoughts for a fix ?
Thanks,
Larry
Clips digging into the tire bead -
I've been known to squeeze them w/ pliers to keep them snug before putting them on the rim, let the air out of the tire and tapping them on as far as possible with a block of wood and hammer. New reproduction clips are available and might fit better than original ones, I don't know.
Hopefully the tires will 'age-out' about the same time(?) as digging into the bead is a problem.
Current recommendations are to not use tires over 8 yrs old on the highway. Think about the (rock hard) erasers on the old pencils in your desk drawer.

Hubcaps rubbing on the tires & rubber spacers on the clips - (plan 'A' ?)
At the hardware store get some of the 1/2 or 3/4 dia. by 1/8 in. thick self-stick replacement felt pads for the bottom of chair legs and stick them on each rubber clip spacer where it touches the back side of the wheel cover. You might need a dab of rubber cement on the spacer to help them stay in place longer.
With any luck you can put them on one at a time without having to pull the (PITA) wheel covers completely off. They will also move the wheel cover slightly farther from the sidewall of the tire, possibly far enough to not rub.
If a felt 'circle' shape will be too visible at the outer edge of the wheel cover use square ones or cut them to a better shape first.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-22-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
darrell

these caps were not made for radials.i read something in fomoco times a few years back which the crown victoria people put out and they had it cured.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
dmsfrr

Note to self, post a Reinventing the Wheel pun here.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Clips digging into the tire bead -
I've been known to squeeze them w/ pliers to keep them snug before putting them on the rim, let the air out of the tire and tapping them on as far as possible with a block of wood and hammer. New reproduction clips are available and might fit better than original ones, I don't know.
Hopefully the tires will 'age-out' about the same time(?) as digging into the bead is a problem.
Current recommendations are to not use tires over 8 yrs old on the highway. Think about the (rock hard) erasers on the old pencils in your desk drawer.

Hubcaps rubbing on the tires & rubber spacers on the clips - (plan 'A' ?)
At the hardware store get some of the 1/2 or 3/4 dia. by 1/8 in. thick self-stick replacement felt pads for the bottom of chair legs and stick them on each rubber clip spacer where it touches the back side of the wheel cover. You might need a dab of rubber cement on the spacer to help them stay in place longer.
With any luck you can put them on one at a time without having to pull the (PITA) wheel covers completely off. They will also move the wheel cover slightly farther from the sidewall of the tire, possibly far enough to not rub.
If a felt 'circle' shape will be too visible at the outer edge of the wheel cover use square ones or cut them to a better shape first.

Dmsfrr,
Thanks for your reply and advice.... I think that's a great idea and I very much appreciate it. I'm a very schooled Model A and flathead V8 restorer but have much to learn about the Early T-birds. Earlier this summer I glued with high strength cement some thinner rubber shims on top of the rubber pads.. .it seemed to help. I think it is more due to the fact of the wider profile and bulge of the radial that creates the problem. These radials are only about 1 1/2 years old or less....
When I ran the std full caps I didn't have the problem, as they clip on the wheel as opposed to being held on with the spring clips as the originals.../ plus when my tired wore down I opted for the radials but wasn't aware of these kind of problems with the wire caps. Mine are decent and I don't have the funds to blow on some of the newer ones that mount within the wheel... I've thought that somehow it has to be solvable.

I will give the pads a try....and glue them on... I think it's the best idea I've had yet.

I will keep you posted and let you know. Many thanks,
Larry
Old 03-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
larrys40

Hello forum followers:
Back at the issue. It seems to go away for a short time but came back... I used/tried the pad and it seemed to help but it wasn't a permanent solution unfortunately.
I pulled off the original wire basket caps for the winter and have been running the std cap.. no issues.. but would like to get back to the look of the wire basket units. The tech guy at CASCO told me there is still a chance of the issue even with the new press in hubcaps... seems to me like they should have made them a little smaller so they were the same size as the wheel..

I'm not a fan of these coker classics.. and am looking at buying some potential Diamondbacks but don't want to have the same problem with the hubcap squeaking noise. Any thoughts or input?
With all the birds out there I can't believe there isn't more report of the issue and a resolve.
Thx.
Larry
Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #12
zoegrant

Larry...I am running Diamond Back`s with a Michelin carcass and am using the same wire wheel hubcaps with clips and have no squeak. The covers do dig into the white wall at the rim and if I were to get new tires I would get the wire covers without the clips.I inflate to 35psi..........John
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
darrell

35 would make the ride rough.on my 56 i dropped to 28 on front and 25 on back the difference was unreal.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #14
mercman from oz

These Genuine Accessory wire wheel covers for the 1955 and 1956 Ford Fairlanes and Thunderbirds really look nice, but they do have trie drawbacks. You will see that they don't have the provision for the Valve to protrude. That means that you have to partly remove these Wheel Covers every time you want to check the Air in your Tyres. About 30 years ago, a friend of mine managed to buy a set of NOS Wire Wheel trims for his 1956 Ford Customline Sedan. he was not impressed by the fact that he had to remove these Trims every time he wanted to check his Tyres, so he came up with a solution. he drilled a hole in each trim in the correct position and replaced these Wire Wheel Trims and went for a short drive. To his disgust, when he arrived home, not one Valve was visible, as each Wire Trim had rotated. One set of NOS Wire Wheel trims ruined.
Oldsmobiles with factory Full Wheel Spinner Covers for 1958, 1959, 1960, 1962 and 1963 models also lacked the Hole for the Valve. Having to remove the Hubcap every time you wished to check the air would become very burdensome, and over time, you would think that they would lose their grip and be prone to fall off?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #15
zoegrant

Darrell...with the low presures your using, radials with wire covers could cause them to pop off....also if one does not have power steering then it would be tough to turn the wheels when in a dead stop and maybe could overstress the front end. Radials really grab the road due to their width and profile.Just my two cents....J
Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #16
darrell

i dont have wire covers and i didnt see any difference in turning.what a difference in the ride.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #17
zoegrant

HI Darrell just curious...are you using tubes or are they tubeless ?
Do you have power steering ? thanks,John
Old 03-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #18
darrell

tubeless manual steering.if you have a car thats light to steer you dont notice the difference.i was using 205 tires and they didnt look down in air.a 56 is not a heavy car.