Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
roccaas

Default Changes to PayPal

For those of us who use PayPal, there is a change to their policy that may become important. Unless you opt out of the policy change (by snail mail), you cannot join a class action against PayPal. Your disputes must instead go to an arbitrator.

I'm opting out. I believe there may be a class action suit brewing around interest rate calculations and charges.

Check your email for a message from PayPal about this.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Great Lakes Greg

Default Re: Changes to PayPal

I left ebay because of paypal's "policys", like a mandatory account to be able to bid on some items. Kind of like having to buy your pick and shovel at the company store.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
modela-carb

Don't forget that PayPal is owned by EBay and dances to the Ebay drummer
Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Been using PayPal for years -- only use instant pay with no credit charge, no interest to pay, and no problems. Would never take a chance to pay a "high" price on Ebay for an item I cannot actually touch before I bought it.

Read some time ago that many stores like Sears make far more money annually with interest charges on their credit cards than they do with selling merchandise -- Ebay is probably raking in quite a bit with PayPal interest -- this is a convenient way to conduct business with plastic cards which started in the middle of the last century -- so many continue to fall into this trap.

Also, China is doing the same as we speak with their bank loans generating millions in interest owed to them by the U.S.

The banks of any country can legally break any household, business, or country when one spends more than one makes.

Arbitration usually leaves one with no recourse to appeal a decision, & in most cases arbitration is held in the lender's home state -- one has to pay his lawyer's hotel fees in addition to paying one's lawyer.

Please be careful -- the handshake deals we once knew are just about gone.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
xxf_mike_xf

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
For those of us who use PayPal, there is a change to their policy that may become important. Unless you opt out of the policy change (by snail mail), you cannot join a class action against PayPal. Your disputes must instead go to an arbitrator.

I'm opting out. I believe there may be a class action suit brewing around interest rate calculations and charges.

Check your email for a message from PayPal about this.
I haven't seen anything from paypal about this.

You say there is "opt out" mailing address, please post it in this thread as well as the website where this information was found... all of this sounds very strange.
xxf_mike_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
xxf_mike_xf

Interest on a trillion dollar debt would be in the millions, thats normal.

Every time you buy or sell on Ford Barn its a handshake deal... when a deal is struck, the buyer doesn't have to pay and the seller doesn't have to ship once payment was received. Its a risky form of business that didn't always have the best outcomes "back in the day".

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Been using PayPal for years -- only use instant pay with no credit charge, no interest to pay, and no problems. Would never take a chance to pay a "high" price on Ebay for an item I cannot actually touch before I bought it.

Read some time ago that many stores like Sears make far more money annually with interest charges on their credit cards than they do with selling merchandise -- Ebay is probably raking in quite a bit with PayPal interest -- this is a convenient way to conduct business with plastic cards which started in the middle of the last century -- so many continue to fall into this trap.

Also, China is doing the same as we speak with their bank loans generating millions in interest owed to them by the U.S.

The banks of any country can legally break any household, business, or country when one spends more than one makes.

Arbitration usually leaves one with no recourse to appeal a decision, & in most cases arbitration is held in the lender's home state -- one has to pay his lawyer's hotel fees in addition to paying one's lawyer.

Please be careful -- the handshake deals we once knew are just about gone.
xxf_mike_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
joeypoconos

Here is paypal's instructions on HOW TO opt-out of the policy amendment in question.

Opt-Out Procedure.

You can choose to reject this Agreement to Arbitrate ("opt out") by mailing us a written opt-out notice ("Opt-Out Notice"). For new PayPal users, the Opt-Out Notice must be postmarked no later than 30 Days after the date you accept the User Agreement for the first time. If you are already a current PayPal user and previously accepted the User Agreement prior to the introduction of this Agreement to Arbitrate, the Opt-Out Notice must be postmarked no later than December 1, 2012. You must mail the Opt-Out Notice to PayPal, Inc., Attn: Litigation Department, 2211 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95131.

The Opt-Out Notice must state that you do not agree to this Agreement to Arbitrate and must include your name, address, phone number, and the email address(es) used to log in to the PayPal account(s) to which the opt-out applies. You must sign the Opt-Out Notice for it to be effective. This procedure is the only way you can opt out of the Agreement to Arbitrate. If you opt out of the Agreement to Arbitrate, all other parts of the User Agreement, including all other provisions of Section 14 (Disputes with PayPal), will continue to apply. Opting out of this Agreement to Arbitrate has no effect on any previous, other, or future arbitration agreements that you may have with us.
Future Changes to the Agreement to Arbitrate.

Notwithstanding any provision in the User Agreement to the contrary, you and we agree that if we make any change to this Agreement to Arbitrate (other than a change to any notice address or website link provided herein) in the future, that change shall not apply to any claim that was filed in a legal proceeding against PayPal prior to the effective date of the change. Moreover, if we seek to terminate the Agreement to Arbitrate as included in the User Agreement, any such termination shall not be effective until 30 days after the version of the User Agreement not containing the Agreement to Arbitrate is posted to http://www.paypal.com, and shall not be effective as to any claim that was filed in a legal proceeding against PayPal prior to the effective date of termination.
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Roadster62

Just buy my stuff and pay me with PayPal, what's the problem? Bob
Old 10-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Lawyers for most large companies suggest Arbitration for a real company advantage to avoid payment to customers when a deal or sale runs amuck.

I would never agree to Arbitration -- not even for a PayPal payment of (30) cents for a Model A Part No. A9770-X, Model A Foot Rest Screw Set -- Mediation, yes -- but, each to his own for getting hoodwinked into a legal trap.

In just browsing a few seconds ago, in my catalogs, the A9770-X was the least expensive item I could find -- maybe there is a cheaper Model A part.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Greg Jones

Interest on trillions is in the billions, not millions. You know what "they" say, a billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you are talking about some real money.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxf_mike_xf View Post
Every time you buy or sell on Ford Barn its a handshake deal... when a deal is struck, the buyer doesn't have to pay and the seller doesn't have to ship once payment was received. Its a risky form of business that didn't always have the best outcomes "back in the day".
I just bought a coil from a member here. He sent it to me told me to test it out then send him the money and we never even "shook hands".
Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxf_mike_xf View Post
I haven't seen anything from paypal about this.

You say there is "opt out" mailing address, please post it in this thread as well as the website where this information was found... all of this sounds very strange.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...locale.x=en_US
Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
ronn

After the lawyers fees, everyone on this board will be entitled to about 12. cents....

Much boohah about nothing....

Use them or don't, your choice. Yes ebay has a monopoly on us with paypal, so what's new? Been going on for years....
The gov will continue to cooperate with the bay, because all of that "back tax' from us is still waiting in the coffers.... we are all on record as to previous sales....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
dean from bozeman

Mike V. said, 'I just bought a coil from a member here. He sent it to me told me to test it out then send him the money and we never even "shook hands". '

Mike, glad to hear that.

I, too, like to deal on an examine then pay basis. No one who I have dealt with on Fordbarn has ever received a part and then not paid for it. For me, a man's word is a handshake.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
Dune Country

Thanks for the heads up,
got my curiosity,
in reading the policy I see things like

By providing PayPal a telephone number (including a mobile telephone number), you agree to receive autodialed and prerecorded message calls at that number. The ways in which you provide us a telephone number include, but are not limited to, providing a telephone number at Account opening, adding a telephone number to your Account at a later time, providing it to one of our employees, or by contacting us from that phone number. If a telephone number provided to us is a mobile telephone number, you consent to receive SMS or text messages at that number.

or

. If you opt out of the Agreement to Arbitrate, all other parts of the User Agreement, including all other provisions of Section 14 (Disputes with PayPal), will continue to apply. Opting out of this Agreement to Arbitrate has no effect on any previous, other, or future arbitration agreements that you may have with us.

I have decided to opt out and maybe cancel the account.
Dune Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
Bruce of MN

This reminds of a story about Stanley Steamer that I read years ago. Supposedly they didn't offer a written warranty and when asked about it, the Stanley brother said it was preposterous that he wouldn't back up his product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Mike V. said, 'I just bought a coil from a member here. He sent it to me told me to test it out then send him the money and we never even "shook hands". '

Mike, glad to hear that.

I, too, like to deal on an examine then pay basis. No one who I have dealt with on Fordbarn has ever received a part and then not paid for it. For me, a man's word is a handshake.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote