Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
bdtutton

Default Did you restore the car yourself?

Hello,
I have a 1930 Tudor and one of the questions I regularly get is "Did you restore the car yourself?". My answer is "No, I purchased it restored, but I did some modifications and have done some major work on it to keep it functioning as a daily driver." They always seem disappointed that I can't tell a story about dragging the car out of the woods where it had been abandoned 50 years ago and then spending years to get it going again. I once restored a 1950 Chevy 5 window truck that I paid $50 for and dragged out of a field....it is hard.

I may not have done a ground up restoration on my model A, but I have done interior work, electrical work, mechanical work, engine work (Just finished replacing the valves and adding an oil filter.), replaced tires (Just put some new 19" tubed radial whitewalls on the rims myself.), rebuilt the vacuum wiper motor...etc...etc.. It is a daily driver so I am rebuilding the car one piece at a time to keep it on the road, but I did not restore it from scratch....

So here is my question....I have been telling people that "I bought it restored, but I maintain and repair it myself." If they don't know about old cars being used as a daily driver they picture me driving through the quick lube shop a couple of times a year like they do with their new car. What one sentence phrase can you use to let people know that these cars take 20 times more maintenance than modern cars and when there is a problem you can't take it to your local mechanic or car dealer?
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Did you restore the car yourself?

Have not done a full restoration, but have spent and continue to spend a lot of time and effort refurbishing and performing required maintenance.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
Railcarmover
BANNED

Yep for the life of me I cant understand why some damn fool would restore a car himself..every stinking bit of it,from top to tires..nah,just a damn fool I say,a damn fool.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
alexiskai

I tell folks it was "partially restored" in the '80s and I'm slowly finishing the job. Which is pretty true, the '80s restoration focused on the body and interior, and I've done a lot of work on the neglected suspension.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
jrelliott

The A I purchased sat in a pole barn from 1957 until 2000 when I purchased it. Was the body on a frame, with the running gear. Went into the attic of the barn to get fenders, hood, radiator and many other parts. Brought it home on a dolly. Then began the work. Repaired the fenders, and a dent in the body. The engine was rebuilt by a rebuilder. Machine work for the suspension, brakes, steering, and transmission was done by retired model maker. Frame was professionally cleaned and painted. I did the reassembly, upholstering, made several wooden parts for seats, arm rest, floor boards, and roof. Rebuilt the electric wiper, generator and distributor. The body was professionally painted by a painter who was body, fender man the Nissan Dealer. Could say I did a frame up restoration, but had a lot of assistance in jobs that I could not handle myself. So whether you purchased it complete, or still maintain it takes a lot of time and patience. Be proud of keeping it running and enjoying it.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
SDJason

I tell the truth - the previous owners did the restoring, and I've just been maintaining it since, with a few minor changes (battery cutoff, voltage regulator, fuses, LED tail and brake lights).
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
Bill G

I admire those who do it start to finish by themselves. I just saw one on a tour we have been doing where the guy did a fantastic job, and he did his own paint, body work and did it frame-off.

I did much of the work myself, but when it came to the body work, I did a lot of wet sanding, but I don't have the skills otherwise. I did some priming, but left the real painting to the expert.

Mechanically, I did most of the work, except for things like Babbit and rings.

While I admire those who can do the whole thing start to finish, I am very satisfied with the work I have done and I don't feel self conscious about not doing some of the more "expert" things. I think we should all feel good about the things we can do, even if it is just to put gas in it.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Russ/40

I did everything top to bottom with only two exceptions. Boring the block, and pouring the babbit. I acquired the car as a total basket case. Most of it was there though. Being a RPU, there is not that much to it. I cant imagine doing a Town Car or other complex body type. It was a definite humbling experience.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

I restored my 45B Coupe in total except for the metal plating, and welding-in of cowl patch panels. Purchased in 1962, the restoration was completed in 1980. Since then, I have driven the Coupe 50,000 miles.

Unfortunately, during the restoration of my 190A a battle with lymphoma interrupted the process. As my white blood cells are not working properly, the doctor said my car painting days are over, so I had it painted by a friend. Otherwise, I did all but the nickle and chrome plating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964 Mom Kathy Bob Model A 437kb.jpg (87.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Bob & Kathy @ Gilgo Beach 570kb.jpg (86.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Steel Back 185KB.jpg (186.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 31victoriaBB 338kb.jpg (77.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Restoration Progress (8).jpg (79.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-07(4) Paint By Tom Murphy.jpg (66.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Just tell them You will restore it if it ever needs it and that you've been it's caretaker since you purchased it. If you've restored cars before but were fortunate enough to find one that was already in decent shape then that's the hot smokin tip. Maintaining automobiles properly is to prevent the need for restoration. There is nothing wrong with purchasing one in good condition. It saves you a lot of funds in the long run plus you can drive as you go.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post

Yep for the life of me I cant understand why some damn fool would restore a car himself..every stinking bit of it,from top to tires..nah,just a damn fool I say,a damn fool.
i have to agree. Diving into rock pits is best a spectator sport. But the survivors at least deserve a beer. Cheers, Railcarmover!
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
Railcarmover
BANNED

its also a matter of enjoyment,nobody spends years restoring a car for bragging rights,thats why unfinished car exist,the motivating factor wanes and the project stalls.Its important to like the shop time as much as the car.

Two things I've learned,you can eat a elephant...how? one bite at a time.The other is to take a bite every day,even if you just move the plate or grab a napkin,everyday do something to eat the elephant.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #13
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
i have to agree. Diving into rock pits is best a spectator sport. But the survivors at least deserve a beer. Cheers, Railcarmover!
the best way to top off a long day in the shop sir..pull up a bucket,cop a squat and grab a cold one,they are in the cooler
Old 09-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
jquinlan

When people ask me that question, I like telling them the story of the guy who restored our truck ... Harley Utz from Arizona and as of late, Reno.

He was 95 when he sold it to me. Harley and his wife restored 34 Model A's in their lifetime as a hobby and I believe only charged people for parts. I tell everyone that this truck was his personal truck and that he and his wife drove it across the United States several times and also drove it to Alaska on the Alaskan Highway. I even stay in touch with Harley and keep him apprised of the work I'm doing on it since he no longer has a garage as his wife wanted to move to an assisted living community closer to town.

He completely went over every little detail of the truck when I bought it and let me video record the entire day which has been helpful. I really got lucky buying this truck and appreciate his workmanship.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Do I get to participate in answering this Question??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #16
TerryH

Absolutely........please do!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Do I get to participate in answering this Question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Absolutely........please do!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
Keith True

Sure,at the shop you can tell all about the restoration you did that the deadbeat owner didn't pay you for.I just give a yes or no answer when people ask if I restored it myself.If you try to explain the difference between a restoration and a rejuvenation peoples eyes will just kind of glaze over.they are asking a simple question,not looking to get educated with facts.Shiny is restored to most lookers.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #19
fordcragar

Interesting question. Some people will tell you that they did it all, but don’t seem to have the knowledge to answer any questions about the vehicle.

One of my favorites, while looking at a very nice Hiboy 28 Model A RPU, I glanced down at the VIN stamped on the 32 Ford frame; which was *Axxxxxxxx. Then I asked the owner what the car was registered as, he got real indignant and told me it was a 28 Ford. As I walked away, I realized that it came with the optional 32 frame, my bad.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #20
Railcarmover
BANNED

before we get out of hand,I use the term restoration loosely,my work could be better stated as a ground up modification..