Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
BillCNC

Question Water Hoses

Hello All,

Well, I'm at the end of my chassis rebuild. Everything is ready to go, ... 3 new Red Stripe Hoses, a new Tube w/ new Water Drain with 6 new clamps.

As I am filling up the radiator in anticipation to hear her run again, water is leaking from the 4 lower clamps and wouldn't yeah know it, right onto the dip stick, ... like their sealed. Anyhow, I'm assuming the upper hose will leak as well.

All clamps are tightened to the point just shy of stripping the screws. Correct diameter clamps are used (4 smaller, 2 larger).

Can one somehow shrink the hose diameter, if not, ... does Autozone, O'Reilly Auto parts or Napa have something that can be used?

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Water Hoses

The hoses should be a snug fit without the clamps. Sounds like yours are loose. Never had a problem like yours. Call your supplier.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
1930-Pickup

Bill, mine did that too after about a year of driving...exactly the same symptoms as yours. I cant remember where I bought the clamps and hoses, but mine may have come from Macs...'nuff said (I ordered from Macs only a couple of times in the very beginning).
Old 03-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
WHN

The last hoses I put on were tight without the clamps. Had to use lube (soap) to get them on.

I purchased them from Mac’s.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
brianpharmd

Within the past week I bought new hoses with the red stripe from Bratton's (Part # 12060) - I had to replace my upper hose since it was worn out and starting to leak near the upper water outlet. Mine were snug, to the point where I had to spin it on the upper water outlet just to be sure I did not pinch any of the end of the tubing between the outlet and the tube.

I had to ensure the clamps were over the raised lips on the outlet pipe and the radiator neck. Then the clamps were tightened down on the necks of those pipes. I assume you did the same as well when you tightened the clamps. Otherwise I am with the above post, sounds like there is a defect with those hoses.

Measured the diameter of the lower hoses since I did not need to put them on my car. They measure roughly 1.75 inches in diameter.
brianpharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Did ya get them from CW Moss? They have the cheapest hoses I have ever seen...

You may have to use Gates® Power Grip hose clamps to get them to seal,,, or get some real hoses.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-07-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
Will Ziegler in LI NY

I had that happen once on a set of hoses. I put a thin coat of silicone on the inside of the hose and never had a leak again.
Will Ziegler in LI NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
Gary WA

Indian shellac works too
Old 03-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #9
BillCNC

Thanks Guy's,

I didn't think this was such a problem. Heck, I'm about to start naming my car (Jinx)

I got the hoses and clamps from The Old Ford Store in San Dimas. The Tube and drain was from Snyders I believe. The hoses are extremely stiff, I wonder if I boil them to soften them up perhaps I can get them to squeeze in a bit more on the ends.

I thought about silicon but I didn't want it to break loose and get stuck in the radiator.

Regards
Bill
Old 03-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #10
Synchro909

The clamps supplied by the spare parts houses are junk whether they are replicas of the Ford ones or not. I don't use them but I'm not into originality - I drive 'em. I use worm drive clamps and a little silicone.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #11
Bill G

Last year I got a new set of hoses and so-called original style clamps that were pretty trashy. I wound up putting the old Gates clamps back on. I don't remember which supplier I bought them from.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:02 AM   #12
J Franklin

A little silicone grease on the sliding surface of original clamps allows for easier and tighter clamping. Silicone sealer on the pipe joints helps to stop leaks.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:19 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Silicone or Vaseline on the inside of the hoses and the inside surface of the clamps allows the parts to slip and tighten properly, without pinching and bunching up.

If the inlet and outlet castings have an uneven mold line, then grind it smooth.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 AM   #14
Tom Endy

As Tom says above you have to make sure the clamp does not dig into the hose as it is tightened. The original style clamps have a tab the slides over the hose. If the tab digs in it causes a tunnel to form under the hose where the tab is located. The more you tighten it the bigger the tunnel gets.

I use silicon spray by Gunk. Available at any parts store. I spray both the inside and out side of the ends of each hose. Especially the outside. This will allow the tab to glide over the hose instead of digging into it.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

I had the same problem. I moved the clamps over on top of the raised ridge on the outlet and inlet connections and leaks stopped.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
Dave in MN

I usually don't over tighten the hoses when I start a car after re-building an engine and installing new hoses. I start the car and let it warm up and as it warms, the hoses will soften and then I tighten the clamps only enough to stop any leaks.

I don't have many leaks as I do go through a number of hose sets a year so my inventory is usually very fresh.
Most of my hose sets and original style clamps are ordered from Snyder's.

I have not tried Tom Endy's "Gunk" method on the outside of the hoses but it makes sense.
Comment: Careful with the use of silicone spray lubricant in your shops. It only takes a drop of silicone on a surface and paint or varnishes will pull away from the spot to form a "fisheye".
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-09-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #17
Fullraceflathead

I had that same problem with hoses from CW Moss. They are not the correct size.
You could try to cut a bicycle Inner tube to line the nipple where the hose fits over.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #18
BillCNC

Wink Re: Water Hoses

Thanks for the input guys.

I bought the Hoses from the Early Ford Store in San Dimas. The packaging is branded Vintique Inc.

I don't want to try anything to shim the hoses, Not at the price of these Radiators, I wont risk anything breaking loose and getting stuck in the Radiator. I will take the water pipe to the local auto parts stores and look for something that temporarily fit's until I can get the correct hose.

I thought I was going to have to buy a new radiator, but a local shop re-soldered the top seam and flushed it out real good for $75.00. I got lucky, ... plain and simple so I don't want to spin the wheel of chance on this one.

Regards
Bill
Old 03-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #19
CarlG

Since I started using this type clamp, I have had zero problems with leaking hoses. Like others have said, use some sort of lubricant on the inside of your hoses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71BlAWIB-aL._SL1500_.jpg (44.3 KB, 16 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #20
BillCNC

Hi guy's

I have the problem fixed temporarily, and am going to order new hoses. Anyone have a place that sells the correct ones?

The solution was to boil the hoses for 5 minutes and while hot I put some pressure on them and rolled the hoses on a flat surface softening them up some and I also picked up 6 modern hose clamps made by Ideal.

Not sure why I'd put a lubricant on the inside of a hose that is slightly larger than the tube, outside, maybe but the stock clamps never deformed, the nut's are like 1/4 hight of a regular nut and only engage (2) threads so they strip easily. Swapping out the nut's for something that has full depth should prevent that, but I just bought some modern ones instead. With the stock clamps tightened until the threads start to strip the hose would twist and slide around on the metal tube as it is.

The top hose I didn't have to boil, just swap the clamps with the more modern type made by Ideal.

ANYHOW, I started her up and ran her for a little bit, put her in gear and drove her around the block a couple of times. I also tested the brakes and adjusted the clutch.

A little fine tuning today and the fenders, running boards, headlight bar and horn will go on.

Looks like I have my car back, ... Since Sept 16, ... it's just looked like a pile of burnt cash sitting in the driveway.

Regards
Bill