Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
columbiA

Default My Model A's are gone...

Sometime back I was diagnosed with cancer. In April I had to sell my '31 sedan as I could no longer look after two A's. In early July, I had to quit driving my '30 coupe as I could no longer reach the brake pedal. It hit me hard not being able to drive an A anymore. Oddly enough, it didn't bother me that I could no longer drive a modern car either.

My daughter really wanted the coupe, so I signed it over to her as a gift. She will look after it well. For the first time in 60 years of owning A's, my coupe will finally have heated winter storage!

I started driving A's in July of '53 and quit driving them in July of 2013, 60 years to the month later.

By the way, does anyone know of a good Model A guru who could properly maintain my daughters car (my ’30 coupe) in the Edmonton Alberta area? Modern mechanics know nothing about A's.

I will continue to answer questions on the Ford Barn and pass along my knowledge onto the younger generation.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
duffer

Default Re: My Model A's are gone...

Stay strong...your cars will be well taken care of...i will pray for you....
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Chuck Sea/Tac

Columbia, I know the feeling. I love to drive my A. A few years ago health issues slowed me down, but I fought my way back. My biggest fear, isn't prostate cancer now, but not being able to work in the garage, or drive my car.
You have a lot of knowledge, and I'm sure you can ( at least ) partial fill that void with helping others keep their cars running. Good luck, health, and God bless! Chuck
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

ColumbiA, sorry to hear you had to give up your A's. Guess we all have that to look forward to. But in the mean time, think about all the fun you have had over the years with those cars and the fun your daughter will have with your gift. Keep up the positive feelings!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
jim galli

ColumbiA, so very sorry to hear of your plight. A mere 48 years for me. Guess I'm just a kid.

Mostly I want to say "Thank You" for adding to our knowledge base as long as you can!

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
newshirt

Columbia, when I see your name on a thread, I listen to every word.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Me too, I've missed your posts lately. I'm so sorry to hear of your illness.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

columbiA, sure sorry to hear about your illness and having to sell you A's. Wish your daughter was closer, so I could help her with the car. I too enjoy all your posts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
mndodge

columbiA....
I am a new guy here and I want to wish you the best and think about all the great times and laughs the cars have given you and the knowledge you've gained and able to pass along to guys such as myself......Thank you for your wisdom!!
mndodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Bill in Al

Thank you for all the help you've been to so many and may your daughter find much enjoyment with her father's old car.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
insomniacshotrods

Sorry to hear about your health sir. I hope your daughter lives close to you,you could be the mind and she could be the body so to speak. What better way to learn about the car than from her father. She could also take you for rides and lift your spirits,unless she drives the A like me. In that case you may want some ear plugs for all the gear grinding going on. I hope for the best for you and will pray for a full recovery. Thanks for sharing your invaluable knowledge and wisdom sir God Bless.
insomniacshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
QGolden

Columbia,
I have spent time looking up your posts for good information, I wish you well.

I for one would consider it a gift if your Daughter were to join us here at the Barn, some of us could help her and it would tie her to the Model A community in a most unique way.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
modeleh

Sorry to hear about your health problems. Not sure where in the province you are, but if you are on the island I can make sure you still get a ride in an old car now and then.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #14
Brother Hesekiel

Life is some crazy thing. You are born, and you know you'll die eventually and there's no way out alive. But what you can do is live life to the fullest. If you had 60 years of Model A experience, you are way ahead of 99% of the population. You did something, you experienced something, you were the caretaker of 2 pieces of history, and what you experienced nobody can take away from you. I hope that one day I can get close to that, and I will have no regrets, and neither should you. Life is a roller coaster, and you've been riding the big one. Congratulations, and good luck with the next chapter of whatever it may be.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #15
SAJ

ColumbiA. I too seek out your replies because they are born of long practical experience. There are just a few expert posters like you on the Barn. Everyone contributes something in a post, even when you know what they advise is incorrect, but your advice is always spot on!
I look forward to more good advice from you in the future and wish you well in your battle with sickness.
SAJ from NZ (in sunny London at present)

Last edited by SAJ; 08-14-2013 at 02:39 AM. Reason: spelling
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

While your A's are gone we are happy that you still are able to post and assist those with less experience.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
Rock Hornbuckle

Model A's may be gone, but never forgotten!
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Farrell In Vancouver

ColumbiA, I too have learned much from your posts and I am sorry to hear of this challenge. Please review all the posters from Alberta and BC as I am sure if your duaghter ever need help keeping the coupe rolling anyone of us will step up to assist.
Good luck with the fight
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
Purdy Swoft

Columbia, I just want to say that you have always had my greatest respect. I've read all of your posts with great interest and I want to thank you for all of them. Actually you remind me of the older good guys that taught me SO much when I got my first model A, over 53 years ago. I've noticed that you know things that nobody else here has ever had experience with. Your lifetime of experience with model A's has been a great asset to this forum. It is truly a sad day to hear of your plight. You will be in my prayers.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
Greg Jones

Columbia, God bless you and I am sure that you are happy that your daughter has an interest in caring for the Coupe. Neither my son nor daughter are interested in my old cars and I just accept that. Nobody can be forced to love a Model A like we do. I hope it brings some satisfaction that your daughter is interested in the car and will carry on the tradition. God bless you in your travels.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote