Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #21
Brian

Default Re: Fuel pump rod - what is the purpose of umbrella?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
And... the pushrod length is determined by the manifold, not what it's made of. Your original intake, be it aluminum or iron, uses the longer pushrod.

"Well, yes and no.
The push rod is in fact determined by the intake. However, FACTORY aluminum intakes required a push rod that was approximately 1" shorter than the FACTORY cast iron intake required."
Somewhere it has been documented that aluminum manifolds require the shorter pushrod....This is incorrect.The Canadians used both cast iron and aluminum intakes on their engines. I 'think' the ci were primarily used on trucks, whereas passenger vehicles received aluminum. The engine mentioned by original poster [C69A], would have come from the factory fitted with a C11A 6520 intake, which, whether it was cast iron, or aluminum, would have run the longer pushrod.
The statement that aluminum manifolds require the shorter pushrod is too broad a statement- SOME aluminum manifolds require the shorter version; most require the longer.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #22
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
And... the pushrod length is determined by the manifold, not what it's made of. Your original intake, be it aluminum or iron, uses the longer pushrod.

"Well, yes and no.
The push rod is in fact determined by the intake. However, FACTORY aluminum intakes required a push rod that was approximately 1" shorter than the FACTORY cast iron intake required."
Somewhere it has been documented that aluminum manifolds require the shorter pushrod....This is incorrect.The Canadians used both cast iron and aluminum intakes on their engines. I 'think' the ci were primarily used on trucks, whereas passenger vehicles received aluminum. The engine mentioned by original poster [C69A], would have come from the factory fitted with a C11A 6520 intake, which, whether it was cast iron, or aluminum, would have run the longer pushrod.
The statement that aluminum manifolds require the shorter pushrod is too broad a statement- SOME aluminum manifolds require the shorter version; most require the longer.
Yes, my engine was a truck engine, but set up as an industrial engine. The intake that came with the engine was cast iron. I picked up another locally that was made from aluminum which has a shorter boss for the breather/fuel pump assembly. The aluminum intake was likely from the mid thirties judging by its shape and what I believe someone had already mentioned in another thread. I'm curious about your statement that passenger car engines would have the aluminum intake. I'll keep looking for another aluminum intake and possibly an entire other flathead as there seems to be quite a few coming up for sale recently.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #23
Brian

Ziggy, Has your cast iron manifold got a part number cast into it?
Old 08-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #24
Ziggster

It's at the machinist. Next time I'm there I check.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote