Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
skeazle

Default rubber grommets on hood

Hey guys, I have 1930 tudor sedan and I was wondering how or what is the best way to remove the rubber grommet next to the hood latch? The front one on the right is worn away a bit just enough that it is scratching the paint. I noticed the hood does not quite conform to the curve of the radiator shell. The grommets are riveted on and spin freely but do I have to drill it off? Can I find a replacement? The other three grommets are starting to get dry rotted also. If I end up drilling it out can I use a screw in place of another rivet? Anybody else ever had to do this? Thanks, Jim
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: rubber grommets on hood

You can use a drill or a drill/countersink to remove the rivet.

The rubber available at the parts vendors may or may not exactly match what you have now. If not look at McMaster Carr as they have just about every rubber grommet available.

Also check Lowes or Ace Hardware. Its surprising what you find in their parts drawers.

Going back on you want rivets and a rivet setting tool from Big Flats Rivet Co. I think the rivet you seek is the "semi-tubular rivet" and not a brake rivet or split rivet.

http://www.bigflatsrivet.com/semi-tubular-rivets.html

Joe K
Old 04-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
skeazle

Thanks Joe.
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeazle View Post
Hey guys, I have 1930 tudor sedan and I was wondering how or what is the best way to remove the rubber grommet next to the hood latch? The front one on the right is worn away a bit just enough that it is scratching the paint. I noticed the hood does not quite conform to the curve of the radiator shell. The grommets are riveted on and spin freely but do I have to drill it off? Can I find a replacement? The other three grommets are starting to get dry rotted also. If I end up drilling it out can I use a screw in place of another rivet? Anybody else ever had to do this? Thanks, Jim
You should be able to break the old grommet off. Then from the inside of the hood a pair of end nippers should get the rivet. The vendor I use included screws, washers, and nuts with the new grommets.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
iverson

on our 28 I ground a small junk screw driver to a shoe horn shape and put some soapy water on rubber and got them on easy
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
CarlG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
You should be able to break the old grommet off. Then from the inside of the hood a pair of end nippers should get the rivet. The vendor I use included screws, washers, and nuts with the new grommets.
I also used screws, washers, and nuts with the new grommets (pads). One caution though, be sure to use locktite or even better, self locking nuts. Lockwashers will not hold them on.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote