Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #61
Dave Mc

Default Re: Poll: Anybody "Restoring A Car"

Bought my 29 special coupe in pieces in 1975,decided to build it as a Oval window Business Coupe.meticulously restored the car which was completed in 86,used it as my daily driver until 2005 when I closed my shop and moved back to Nevada,now the paint is showing it's age and the Leatherette Top shows sunlight if you look up,still starts right up and drives nice,but sits in the garage most of the time as I now have three other cars to keep up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0177.jpg (52.9 KB, 18 views)

Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #62
John Kennedy

Make it nice, yes. Total concours restoration - NO!
I've never really "restored" a car, but can imagine that no matter what you do to it, it'll never be "good enough" and you'll never drive it.

I'm a mechanic, not an artist. I build stuff that's fun to drive.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #63
John Kennedy

Tim gets it. Nice write-up!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #64
fredshere

I have restored many 67-72 trucks (not ford) but I bought a 32 5 window coupe And am restoring it. I bought it A year ago last march, it's as fun for me to try to find parts and asemble them as it is to drive them .It's been a chalange Because ford changed so much in the middle of The production year
fredshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #65
Dave Mc

I have 4 finished Fords a 29,31,33 & 48 and 2 unfinished both 33's but right now I am
Restoring a 53 Cad almost finished ,needs upholstery and Stainless trim,then bugs worked out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0327.jpg (55.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0325.jpg (39.4 KB, 10 views)

Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #66
charles in east texas

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have a 36 5W that I need to be restoring, but can't seem to muster up the energy.
Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #67
68HILLBILLY

I mostly buy parts I need to maintain my cars, but I do have a couple that are in the parts accumulation stage and will be getting what I call nice driver restos. I never wanted to win a show , but I do get a lot of enjoyment driving my old cars . having said this , I have great respect for anyone who actually restores every piece on a car.
68HILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #68
Shu47

No restore for my truck. I have it driveable and am now working on electrical cleanup then it will be a rebuild of the wood flatbed (hopefully with old wood) and then I plan to dive and maintain it.
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #69
41 Fords ohio

Thumbs up Re: Poll: Anybody "Restoring A Car"

I've owned several older fords since 1966. The oldest was 35 coupe and the newest was a 55 pickup. I've driven everyone of them. The first car I ever owned was a 41 coupe,which I stll drive today. I recently bought a 41 2door sedan,and I plan on driving it too. I've seen too many of these older cars that have been torn down and never rebuilt,scrapped for the metal. I think if you have one, drive it. That's what they're for.If you did a a restoration my hats' off to you. I could never afford it. I just love to drive em
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqIOKkQE5T+CGZN9BOhQERY0mg~~60_3.jpg (110.3 KB, 5 views)
41 Fords ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #70
cmbrucew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 Fords ohio View Post
I've owned several older fords since 1966. The oldest was 35 coupe and the newest was a 55 pickup. I've driven everyone of them. The first car I ever owned was a 41 coupe,which I stll drive today. I recently bought a 41 2door sedan,and I plan on driving it too. I've seen too many of these older cars that have been torn down and never rebuilt,scrapped for the metal. I think if you have one, drive it. That's what they're for.If you did a a restoration my hats' off to you. I could never afford it. I just love to drive em
41 ohio
Welcome to the barn.
Nice car
I bought a 41 Deluxe business coupe two weeks ago.
Do you have some pictures of your coupe?
Bruce
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #71
Junknshit
Banned

First, I have to say that I think Tim in reply #56 has said it best. What a great outlook.

Second, I want everyone to remember that these are my opinions, and my opinions only. Lets look at a dictionary.
Restore: To bring back to original condition.
Hot-Rod: A vehicle rebuilt or modified for increased speed and power.
The rules for judges are made up by someone, and with all of the changes and carryovers that Ford did, there is no-one that knows all of them. If I had bought say a 1929 Model A 2dr sedan brand new and put it in climate controlled storage until today, took it to a restorers top of the line event, I'd be willing to bet that at least one thing would be found wrong (not original) with it. Now, I don't like the lack of power, so I change the head, or cam, or carb, or exhaust, or combination of some of these, do I still have an original car? Not in my opinion, I now have a Hot-Rod. If you completely restore your A, as best as can be done and later change to 15" wheels with big and littles on it, what do you have? It's not original, and it's not a Hot-Rod. (I know, some nit-picker is going to say they did it for a gearing change so it is a Hot-Rod)
Awards, trophies etc: Best this, best that. For an example lets take "Best Paint" Is the best paint job the smoothest, glossiest, deepest paint job there even tho it has a couple of rock chips in it, or is the best paint job one that is rock chip free even tho it doesn't look original either?
Best to me is not the same as it is in the eye of the judge (or judges argueing it out and settling on one.)
I could go on, but I won't. I'll just say that I love old cars, all of them, and I love meeting the people that own them. I can honestly say that I could care less about awards of any kind. I do like one type of reward, and that reward is being able to drive my car.
I would personally like to see real car runs come back and replace the "park it and shine it lawn chair shows". Reliability runs, tours, etc, remember them?

P.S. I have always been amazed when going to a fairgrounds "Rod Run". Go out behind the barns sometime and see if you can figure out 2 things.
1. How do the horses get air in those enclosed trailers?
2. How do they haul horses on those funny flat ones without the horses falling off?

Last edited by Junknshit; 11-28-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Junknshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #72
pauldeborr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu47 View Post
No restore for my truck. I have it driveable and am now working on electrical cleanup then it will be a rebuild of the wood flatbed (hopefully with old wood) and then I plan to dive and maintain it.
Awesome! This is the foundation for anybody. Just make em drivable and keep em on the road. People now days cant even change a flat tire.

Thanks for the inspiration
pauldeborr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 AM   #73
41 Fords ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
41 ohio
Welcome to the barn.
Nice car
I bought a 41 Deluxe business coupe two weeks ago.
Do you have some pictures of your coupe?
Bruce
Thanks Bruce, I'm old school, computers are trouble for me. Half the time i'm amazed that I can even log on. The pic of my new car took me 20 mins. to post and I can't even tell you how I did that . So as soon as I can figure it out I'll post some pics of my coupe. Thanks Ed
41 Fords ohio is offline   Reply With Quote