Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
46fordnut

Default Re: Poll: Anybody "Restoring A Car"

some day i hope to have mine done fairly nice... for now just some mechanical and other small things . she not perfect but it does not owe me much . i think each thing someone has it to there like or wants...its about the fun of what you find and what each persons or person has done to be able to call it there own. sometimes its nice to see them as they are or done as new. i say find them save them and just keep them going for others and yourself to love.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #22
Ben38

I'm restoring the '38 I bought 36 years ago. It sat for many years but now that the kids are grown I have time to work on it. The chassis it just about done.
Ben38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #23
Ben38

I'm pretty much a lurker but check here often. The ford barn has been a HUGE help.
Thanks guys.
Ben38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #24
ftda0704

I'm restoring a '41 coupe I bought 6 months ago. Body off and all that stuff. Plan on driving it down the street in 3 years (not that it will be finished). Trying to do most of the work myself but never did anything like this before. Great retirement gig! Bob A.
ftda0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #25
Barry WNY

I have a model a sort of with mostly 37 driveline & wet brakes & several '48 pieces runs & drives great. I have most of a 37 next but to do something "correct" is beyond my capabilities. I love old car stuff & if I can get enough pieces to make a rig "correct" if it runs, close enough for me. When I get the lotto I can persue "correct" if I choose.
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #26
jimalabam

Drive them as Henry intended...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #27
jerry grayson

I have been restoring my 1934 Station Wagon for 35 years. In the mean time, I restored to Concours a 1939 Standard coupe and a driver 1935 pickup. Some day the 34 will be in a show. I just enjoy the research, parts hunting and the knowledge that is gained from them.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #28

This is a great thread, guys- I started restoring my '34 4-door a few yrs ago until I bought my '34 roadster. Then the 4-dr took a back seat! Anyway the roadster is almost finished and I've spent way more than planned and have no money left to finish the 4-dr. It is completely done mechanically but the body needs a bit of work and the upholstery. So now I'm thinking I'll just put it all back together as is and enjoy driving it until I can afford the paint and interior. Either that or sell the roadster, (in this terrible market), and then finish it.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #29
Brendan

not me i think if i took my truck apart it will never go back together. i like maintaining it and driving it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photos 020.jpg (86.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2075.jpg (79.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2086.jpg (76.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2097.jpg (76.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2088.jpg (71.2 KB, 26 views)

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #30
FL&WVMIKE

I have no plans to restore my cars. I was lucky enough to buy good originals, years ago. I have been maintaining them ever since. This is much cheaper and less time consuming. I also don't have to "stand guard" over my car at a show or cruise-in.
As JM 35 Sedan mentioned, People will walk right past an over-restored car, to look at an un-restored one.
MIKE
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1192.jpg (400.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg fav35.jpg (415.7 KB, 27 views)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
Royal Ryser

I'm sure glad to see this topic come up. I have been planning to restore my 36 tudor for about 5 years now and just haven't finished it. Now, I'm thinking more along the lines of several who have responded to this thread. I'm going to get it running right and drive it. I don't think Ill even paint it. Well, maybe I will; it's pretty rough.
I really appreciate the finely restored (over-restored) cars but the old "drivers" are sometimes more fun to look at.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #32
sawzall

only if I would happen to find a car with some significant provenance.

driving is too much fun..

my odometer turned past 14,000 miles this summer.. and its only been on the road since august 2009.

no plans to take the car much further..

if I painted it or invested more $$$ i would only worry about it..

Friday night I participated in a "trunk or treat" near home, and had 30+ kids in, on and around the car.. I was really only worried about my Felix the cat license plate topper, not because its valuable, but because it happened to get caught on one of the kids costumes.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #33
barnfind08

Just got back from a overnight with the grandchild and checking the computer for this thread the consensus so far is what I thought. I know DavidG is a restorer and a good historian of the ford history and JM35Sedan had a great comment on what I think is happening at the moment. I have read them all but need some more for a final analysis. Also I think people are enjoying seeing what other people are doing.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #34
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Down under its pretty much the same .I have 5 cars to do yet , since they are rarer worth doing its unlikly that they will be concoures class .there are more ratty type vehivcials going on the road

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #35
Ken Crans

I have been collecting prime sheetmetal for 5 years. This is Doris' truck. She has done most of the hard labor and i finished the body work. Painting on Thanksgiving. Making dollies for the cab and bed,and fixtures for hood and fenders. My nephew has come in the picture for helping so the 3 of us should have it done by the spring. After i paint it, the fun part is putting all back together. Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hamburg Fun Fest 001.jpg (77.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Hamburg Fun Fest 006.jpg (53.8 KB, 7 views)
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #36
oldandtired

I have one that is going back as original as I can get it (a 37 pickup). It will be pretty much stock with mechanical brakes, 6-V, and all parts as OEM as possible. I had to buy a new bed and I have used single stage paint. I have a 35 pickup that is stock except for a 37 engine with blockoffs It is an early garnish molding cab and I need a box for it. I have a 39 panel delivery that is going back stock except for the side window kit that was put in back in the day and stained wood for the floor instead of painted. I could not get myself to paint the floor wood. Everything else is OEM except for the battery and tires. I did change out the 4-speed and put in a 3 speed. I do own a 37 1/2 ton stakebed streetrod. I have it set up to pull my car trailer or just run around. It has been together since the mid-90's and needs to be redone, but I don't know if I will ever get around to it.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #37
quickchange34

I have done frame off restorations in the past. doing all the work myself. 40 woody, 37 Linclon Zephyr three window coupe, 34 cabroliet ,36 cabroliet, they are all gone now. I woke up. Got tired of going to shows and being judged. Standing there waiting for somebody to look at my flatwashers to see if they were correct. Both AACA and V-8 club are great. The fun is in the drive there and the people you meet. Old Henry did not put square wheels on them. They are meant to drive. I have a nice orginial rust free 34 roadster that I drive all the time. I am working on a 34 three window with a blowen 50 merc. 39 trans. with Linclon gears and a Howe quickchange, Linclon brakes. Cant wait to get it finished and get on the road.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #38
RMR&C

I did a ground up resto on the truck in my avatar for a customer, not 100% correct but the way he wanted it. Most people can't afford to pay for the HUGE amount of labor involved in a full resto. I've done a couple for myself over the years, but will probably never do another unless it is a really special car.
RMR&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #39
JonC

My 36 is a driver with 50 year old paint. I have rebuilt the motor and mechanicals but have more fun just keeping the car rolling along. I have undertaken a total project in the 40 Pickup I purchased, I may never finish it but I plan to do as good as a job as I can with it. I won't be fanatical about originality but the workmanship will be first rate, (I hope).
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #40
Carl

I generally like finished, standing tall, shiny paint cars, whether they are restorods or restored originals and I have some of both. I am presently restoring a 32 Phaeton and 3W coupe. 30 years ago, I would'nt walk across the street to look at an original but I guess old age has changed me. I also have 2 restorods and drive one some(not every day). I also have a "barn find" car, and will get running and safe and leave it that way. The important thing to me is have a plan for each car and move forward. That might include selling one or more, if you realize you won't have enough time or money to do them all. I've always enjoyed chasing cars and parts, building and restoring cars, going to car shows and events, and sometimes just walking out to my shop and sit looking at my stuff and consider how lucky I am.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote