Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
marzbar

Default Restoration Regrets/Learning Experiences

Okay here goes nothing - first post!

What I would like to ask the community is this: What do you wish you would have done differently on a task you paid someone else to do? It could be you wish you did it yourself, not at all, shopped it around more, different part, or whatever. Any experience you share will be appreciated.

I've been observing this forum for a while and I think the community is fascinating. The one thing you should know is that I'm a complete rookie and way in over my head at this point, but hope to be treading water soon. Everyone has a first day - today is mine.

I'm here is because I was able to inherit my Grandpa's 1949 F1. My uncle put a new engine, transmission, and some paint in it many moons ago and it's time for a full restoration so I'm just looking to gather a lot of information so I can make good decisions.
marzbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
slowforty

Default Re: Restoration Regrets/Learning Experiences

Rule No.1 Start with the Car in the BEST possible condition you can afford. It will save you a lot of Time and Aggravation
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
cmbrucew

Welcome to the Ford Barn.
I have 2 1950 F1s. First, will the engine start and run? Does the radiator hold coolant?
Is there old gas in the tank? How are the tires, and brakes? Are the license tags current? Do the lights work?
After sorting these out, drive it a little, see how it fells. Then you will be best judge of what it needs. I like the color. Best advise I can give you is drive it.

Bruce
Old 07-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
TonyM

Try and assemble a good collection of reference material that pertains to your vehicle.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
Joe Immler

My comment at age 71 and finding it hard to work on them: "Buy it done and avoid the fun." I agree with the other posts though. A lot depends on what you can do such as body work,sanding etc. Try to find good vendors for machine shop work,electrical (generator and starter),radiator shop etc. Don't be hesitant to ask questions here.There are a lot of guys that will help answer your questions having "Been there-done that."
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
tub1

you have a special truck there it was your gramps, make the car roadworthy SAFE .if you cannot do this find a trusty person to help you get your truck on the road then enjoy driving it .many people pull a cool old car apart with the best of intentions to do a total restoration, or hot rod, and it never hits the road again. if you are buying a car its different don't try to bring something back that's gone to far ,get the best body you can find ,just like when your looking for a girl
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
51504bat

Once you start disassembling take photos, lots of photos. Label everything you take apart even if you're sure you'll remember how it goes back together or where it came from.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
deuce_roadster

Welcome, you will find lots of ideas here. I got my first car (model A) at age 12, I am 66 now. I learned how to do mechanical and body/paint work because I couldn't afford to pay anyone to do it for me. With the internet, your learning curve today can be vastly quicker then us old guys and help and advice is quickly available. If your truck came from your area it is probably pretty rust free. If so, you are WAY ahead of the game no matter whether you do a full restoration or just make a driver out of the truck.
I look forward to reading about your plans and progress. Don't hesitate to ask when facing an issue you are unsure of. Good luck!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
marzbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Try and assemble a good collection of reference material that pertains to your vehicle.
Are there vendors that sell reference materials or do you think my best bet is to see what I can find for free online?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
marzbar

This community really is amazing - thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Some really good suggestions.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
mfagan

Don't throw anything away until you are satisfied the job is complete!!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzbar View Post
This community really is amazing - thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Some really good suggestions.
Little of both, I like the Ford F-Series Trucks Shop Manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1 shop manual.JPG (31.1 KB, 10 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #13
Bob C

Here are some links for manuals. https://www.amazon.com/1949-1951-Pic...es+shop+manual

https://www.amazon.com/1949-Truck-Ow...+owners+manual
https://www.amazon.com/PICKUP-TRUCK-...ck++parts+book

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
SofaKing

I have considerable mechanical background but was new to Ford flatheads two years ago. I completely missed the mark in my estimation of cost to get my 39 PU running after sitting idle since 1973. The extra cost has required extra time.

If you have never done significant mechanical rebuild projects, you will underestimate the time required. It's nothing like TV or "Overhaulin" except you can tear it apart in a few days.

My chief regret is the time I spent in the garage might have been better spent with my little girls. Its good therapy and my wife has often noted that I generally return from the garage in a much better mood than when I started but I am starting to resent the time demands. There is also the amount of the family treasure devoted to something that is somewhat selfish. I've done it cheaper than most because every component I have rebuilt myself. I have paid to have 4 things done, hot tank the engine, hot tank the radiator, cut new glass and mount the tires. I have been through the axel, suspension, trans, engine, steering, all the engine accessories, wiring and some body work including repairing a split and mashed rear fender. Its your time or money, if you are a novice double or triple the time required due to the learning curve. Also consider the tools you have available, I assume since you said you are new to this your available tooling is limited?

Your profile did not indicate your age or where you are in life, I am assuming you are younger since you said you inherited the truck from your grandfather. If you are a young guy with kids, wife, and all that entails seriously consider the advice to get the truck running safely first. The cost in time, money and opportunity will be much more affordable.

Last edited by SofaKing; 07-29-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Nobody ever laughs, guess I'm not funny...
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #15
Mike in AZ

welcome to the 'Barn.....as you can see, there is lots of help here....and lots of people who have pickups similar to you that should be able to help.....what do you mean by full restoration??....body off frame and everything looking like new when done??...like it came off the showroom floor?....or are you looking for get it able to drive and have fun with it safely.....main thing is having fun....good luck....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #16
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Once you start disassembling take photos, lots of photos. Label everything you take apart even if you're sure you'll remember how it goes back together or where it came from.
X's 2...!!! You can't have enough photos. Make sure they're clear with enough detail so that you understand what went where. LABEL EVERYTHING and put the small hardware, nuts, bolts, screws etc in ziplock baggies with a note where they came from. I can guarantee that 2-3-5 years down the road this up front effort will pay off. It did on the Tonner which took 5 years. Also, unless you're really gung ho about doing a body off restoration start to finish you might want to consider restoring one thing at a time which leave the truck usable and help to hold your interest over the long run. I say that because when you are looking at a pile of parts and you have that "Oh Crap" realization that there is a serious mountain to climb to put them back together again you may have second thoughts about your undertaking. A BIG plus is that trucks are relatively easy to work on and there are plenty of folks here on the Barn who have been there done that. Welcome to the Barn and Good Luck with your project.
Les Wiliams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #17
mrtexas

Thumbs up Re: Restoration Regrets/Learning Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
X's 2...!!! You can't have enough photos. Make sure they're clear with enough detail so that you understand what went where. LABEL EVERYTHING and put the small hardware, nuts, bolts, screws etc in ziplock baggies with a note where they came from. I can guarantee that 2-3-5 years down the road this up front effort will pay off.
I second it. I am today posting requests for some of the pictures I didn't take. I'm also wondering what some of the fasteners are supposed to be on several parts where I just threw all the fasteners in a box. I never learn I suppose! Don't throw anything away and don't sell any parts until the project is 100% DONE. I'm working on my 6th restoration and still making the same mistakes!

Hardest lesson to learn IMHO is deciding what you want. If what you have is not what you want sell what you have and buy what you want, even if what you have was given to you. You will be much $$$ ahead in the long run.

Why can't I follow my own advice? Took me 6 cars to figure out I wanted one restored to pretty high standards and what I bought all needed restoration!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #18
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Little of both, I like the Ford F-Series Trucks Shop Manual.
Excellent advice. Mine is nearly worn out from use. Got it on E-Bay many, many moons ago.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #19
34pickup

Three things I can think of right off that I learned:
1 .NEVER tell a body man or a mechanic that you are not in a hurry! They assume you might want it done next year if you do.
2 .After paying to have cars painted looking like something I could do better, I learned to paint.
3 . No one you pay will take as great a pain in getting it right as you will unless you find someone who really loves their work.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #20
Ross F-1

What I learned is that you only want to do body/paint work once. I had a good shop do what they could for the money I had at the time. Now I have more money and time, am I inclined to completely disassemble a "finished" truck to do it over? Not likely.

The workshop manual really isn't as detailed in some key areas as it could be; it assumes you are a Ford garage mechanic who has worked on older Fords already. A bug help is the 48-56 Ford F-Series Parts catalog on CD:
http://www.hipoparts.com/1948-56-for...ts-catalog-cd/

Once you master Ford's part numbering scheme, it makes it a breeze to find new / used / repro parts. The illustrations are excellent.

Many of the illustrations are also available here:
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...gs_engines.htm
But it's not as exhaustive.