Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2017, 01:15 AM   #41
FLTHDCPE

Default Re: Prices for turnkey Flathead?

Call Mike at "H & H' He'll explain the finer things that go into building a Good Flathead without any "BS" attached.!! Good people and they produce a Good product.! I' am having a 59A built as we speak, and it is going to be more than the one that you are considering.
FLTHDCPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #42
BABAR40

I spoke to someone not too long ago about his flathead. Seems he searched all over for a turnkey motor but the prices were in the nosebleed section. He ended up buying a completed short block from H&H for about $3600. He finished all the fun stuff himself and said it ran great. I’m sure you’ll get it figured out.. Merry Christmas.
BABAR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #43
Wmurphy@whmcontractin

Send a message via AIM to Wmurphy@whmcontractin

Give Mike at h+h. He's not a salesman , just a straight shooter. I had a bad block so he built me a complete block with a 4" crank, .o6" bore, 3/4 cam and 8rt heads for $5000. He was a pleasure to deal with.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #44
Ol' Ron

If I had a new build give me 50 LBs compression, I'd check the valve timing. Had a problem with an engine that wouldn't start on a shops dyno. The engine was built by a fellow and he wanted it dynied befor he put it in his car. Yhe shop owner asked me to tak a look ait and I found the builder used an adjustable timing gear and installed the cam sevral teeth off. Fixed it ran great. heck the timing gear.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #45
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
If I had a new build give me 50 LBs compression, I'd check the valve timing. Had a problem with an engine that wouldn't start on a shops dyno. The engine was built by a fellow and he wanted it dynied befor he put it in his car. Yhe shop owner asked me to tak a look ait and I found the builder used an adjustable timing gear and installed the cam sevral teeth off. Fixed it ran great. heck the timing gear.
Excellent advice as usual!

You MUST degree the cam on EVERY build, in most instances you will most likely not need to "move" it but it at least should be checked.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We devised a fairly simple method here years ago to move the cam if necessary. Uses the same "pill" as the SBC's and can be moved easily in increments! Here's a shot of how we set it up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Timing Gear Pill A.JPG (81.1 KB, 65 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #46
hook00pad

Sounds to me like your cam is out of time. Check through a plug hole for proper valve timing.
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #47
revkev6

did someone combine a couple threads by accident?? last few posts don't seem like they match up to the original thread??

btw, sounds like you have seen the paperwork for the rebuild. if it's been stored well then it should be fine. for 6k I would damn sure want the seller to pop a head and the pan. no telling what can crawl inside during storage. 2-3 for an H&H rebuild would be a huge score. I just picked up an 8ba that had never been fired for 1500... but no paperwork and my best guess is it was rebuilt in the 80s.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #48
tubman

The confusion is probably because "Gordon C" had a post on the first page about a problem he was having with an engine he bought that won't start and stated that he now wouldn't buy an engine that he couldn't hear run. The thread went a couple of pages until "Ol' Ron" addressed the problem. If you look at the whole thread, it sorta hangs together.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #49
TagMan

If I can't hear a "good running engine when pulled" engine run, I assume it's junk and offer accordingly. Not gambling on anybodys say-so, not with my hard earned money !
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote