Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default Some questions (First ride)

Today, I finished up the brake work and took "Maggie" out for a spin, about 12 miles. Front brakes still pull left! I replaced the roller track on the right side and the brakes were better (didn't pull left so much) But still pulls left when you get on them. But tracks down the road straight and NO death wobble! I guess I'm going to have to replace the left roller track now. In deference to my conclusion that Laser heat "guns" are now a diagnostic tool, I took some readings, unfortunately I didn't write them down, but kinda doin' it from memory. So here goes, engine 166 (Degrees fahrenheit ) Radiator 156 Upper , lower 134. Runs pretty cool anyway! RW drum 76, LW drum 90 something. Rear drums, LW 70 something, RW 80 something. Trans 89, rear end 90 something. These were alll taken within fifteen minutes of stopping. Today is cool here, temperature in the low 70s. So all seems well except the front left wheel.
Next, Allthough it performed reasonably well, The recently rebuilt B carb is just not right! It doesn't want Idle for one thing. misses and runs on 3 cylinders (Idles) yet runs ok when speeded up. Or am I just covering the roughness with RPMs? Can't be sure! I suspect the float's set too low, but I want some feedback. Also , It tops out at 55 MPH. Sure sounds like a gas flow problem to me, waddyou think?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
jack backer
BANNED

Default Re: Some questions (First ride)

Before you do anything run it for awhile,let the car settle in some. Balancing front brakes is done by feel, missing at idle could be anything and 55 is a good top speed for a stocker..

Get off the computer and get into your car..
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:00 PM   #3
Patrick L.

How are you adjusting the brakes ? I'm one that uses the board.

Does it run better on an 'A' carburetor ?

How is the compression ?

Have you checked for a vacuum leak ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
How are you adjusting the brakes ? I'm one that uses the board.

Does it run better on an 'A' carburetor ?

How is the compression ?

Have you checked for a vacuum leak ?
I Have about 3 or 4 "B" carbs, all need rebuilding! I think it idled better with the "A" carb and it's not stock. I'm pretty sure it has a "Head" on it because of how little advance it needs. Only about 1/2 full. No I haven't checked for compression or vacuum leaks yet.

I use the board too. But the new brake shoes seemed to contact the drums more when I got done with the roller track, so I didn't bother with it yet. I figured I'd "do it right" when I got the other side done.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #5
Patrick L.

Brakes.
I use the board but usually still have to 'tweak' a wheel or 2 just a bit. You know, a click off on one and a click on the other.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote